You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 160161162163164 452>
Author
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIGreenWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Found it strange that Smyth never once mentioned that he hoped it was the first of many for Norn Iron or anything like that, just said he hope to play in the premier league some day. Still be shocked if he picked us.

I think you can officially close the book on this one.

The NI Sunday papers have direct quotes from him "I was brought up through the IFA's youth schemes and I always said to myself that if I got my chance with the Northern Ireland first team then i would take it"

Edited by NIGreenWall - 25 Mar 2018 at 2:20am
Sponsored Links

Irish2011 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Irish2011 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by irishmufc irishmufc wrote:

Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

I see no surrender got a nice airing during god save the queen today. How any Catholic could play with them is beyond me.

Any Catholic?

Grow up
why? I sure wouldn't play for them.
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:39pm
We need to stop talking about Smyth and Lavery on this thread. Can’t see too many switching from the north in the coming years. The IFA are on to every player now and, if reports are to be believed, a catholic from the north like Smyth who travels down to watch Ireland games isn’t for changing, then it’s very hard to be confident about anyone making the switch.
Hopeful thinking
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2018 at 11:45pm
Looking at it in a purely footballing sense, and in terms of what would be the better move as from a career perspective, Northern Ireland are ahead of us right now. That obviously has to play a part in these players' decision-making process too.
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 12:21am
Based on what. Were level at the moment I would say going on last 2 campaigns, they have a better manager but for how long ? The pool of players they have is a lot smaller and less talented and youth teams not near as succesful .

The only reason were talking about Smyth possibly switching is because it came from the horses mouth just a few weeks ago its a fact that he said those things.

Edited by dubstep - 25 Mar 2018 at 12:25am
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 10:56am
Originally posted by NewtNewbie NewtNewbie wrote:

Looking at it in a purely footballing sense, and in terms of what would be the better move as from a career perspective, Northern Ireland are ahead of us right now. That obviously has to play a part in these players' decision-making process too.

In FIFA rankings only. 

Wales are still a good bit ahead of us in the rankings. We still managed to stumble past their 'golden generation'. 

In terms of whats coming through, we'll be miles ahead of the North, with the right manager in place.

Our under-15's all the way up to under-21's are far better than their northern equivalents. And while there are several Northern-born Irish men who we should be targeting, many of them are no better than what we already have.

Even Paul Smyth, who I'm a fan of, is no better than Ryan Manning at QPR, both play in a similar position. 

The difference is, Smyth can become the main man for Northern Ireland within the next two-three years, it would take him significantly longer to become a regular starter for us.

As a left-sided attacker, Smyth would be in direct competition with James McClean, Robbie Brady, Callum O'Dowda, Daryl Horgan, Ryan Manning, Aiden McGeady (Meh), and then even the likes of Callum Robinson who is due to join up with us, is capable of playing on the left of attacking midfield, while Alan Judge could also be deployed in a similar position. And that's without mentioning players like Johnny Hayes, and a few under-19's / under-21's who will break through in the coming year or two. 

If Smyth does stay with the North, and he most likely will, then it will be the correct career decision for him, but not because they're 'ahead' of us, but because he has a better chance of featuring and showcasing his talents more regularly, and I'm sure he's aware of that.

I'm fairly certain he was quoted as saying that it would be 'quite difficult' for him to break into our senior set-up. 
forza trapp View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote forza trapp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 11:02am
Macca, your posts are way too sensible for this forum 😀
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

In FIFA rankings only. 

Wales are still a good bit ahead of us in the rankings. We still managed to stumble past their 'golden generation'. 

In terms of whats coming through, we'll be miles ahead of the North, with the right manager in place.

Our under-15's all the way up to under-21's are far better than their northern equivalents. And while there are several Northern-born Irish men who we should be targeting, many of them are no better than what we already have.

Even Paul Smyth, who I'm a fan of, is no better than Ryan Manning at QPR, both play in a similar position. 

The difference is, Smyth can become the main man for Northern Ireland within the next two-three years, it would take him significantly longer to become a regular starter for us.

As a left-sided attacker, Smyth would be in direct competition with James McClean, Robbie Brady, Callum O'Dowda, Daryl Horgan, Ryan Manning, Aiden McGeady (Meh), and then even the likes of Callum Robinson who is due to join up with us, is capable of playing on the left of attacking midfield, while Alan Judge could also be deployed in a similar position. And that's without mentioning players like Johnny Hayes, and a few under-19's / under-21's who will break through in the coming year or two. 

If Smyth does stay with the North, and he most likely will, then it will be the correct career decision for him, but not because they're 'ahead' of us, but because he has a better chance of featuring and showcasing his talents more regularly, and I'm sure he's aware of that.

I'm fairly certain he was quoted as saying that it would be 'quite difficult' for him to break into our senior set-up. 

That's not quite true, if we are to be really honest with ourselves. The North are clearly the more cohesive and formidable force these days. They have a momentum behind them and an ability to put in the sort of performances we just don't see from Ireland at this period of O'Neill's reign.

They stayed competitive throughout both legs of their World Cup play-off with the Swiss, only missing out due to a terrible refereeing decision, despite being drawn against superior opposition to us. We, in contrast, ended up being crushed 1-5 at home by a mediocre Denmark side.

It's a statement of the obvious to point out that we have greater depth to the players available to us. The Netherlands also have more players to pick from than Iceland. So what? When drawn in the same European Championship qualifying group, Iceland finished 2nd, ahead of Holland in 4th, qualifying automatically. Iceland won their World Cup qualifying group. The Dutch finished theirs in 3rd place, not even securing a play-off spot.

We might have better players coming through than the North, and of course our prospective fortunes may eventually change, but be aware I used the phrase 'right now'.

Your contention that Smyth is 'no better' than Manning also leaves you on shaky ground, and isn't really borne out by the respective playing time those players have seen over the last few of months. Smyth looks a genuinely exciting prospect with has the sort of pace and directness that I think we'd love to be able to call on. Even O'Neill enthused over him in a way I've never seen him display with regards to Manning.
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 1:58pm

In FIFA rankings only. 

That's not quite true, if we are to be really honest with ourselves. The North are clearly the more cohesive and formidable force these days. They have a momentum behind them and an ability to put in the sort of performances we just don't see from Ireland at this period of O'Neill's reign.

They stayed competitive throughout both legs of their World Cup play-off with the Swiss, only missing out due to a terrible refereeing decision, despite being drawn against superior opposition to us. We, in contrast, ended up being crushed 1-5 at home by a mediocre Denmark side.

It's a statement of the obvious to point out that we have greater depth to the players available to us. The Netherlands also have more players to pick from than Iceland. So what? When drawn in the same European Championship qualifying group, Iceland finished 2nd, ahead of Holland in 4th, qualifying automatically. Iceland won their World Cup qualifying group. The Dutch finished theirs in 3rd place, not even securing a play-off spot.

We might have better players coming through than the North, and of course our prospective fortunes may eventually change, but be aware I used the phrase 'right now'.

Your contention that Smyth is 'no better' than Manning also leaves you on shaky ground, and isn't really borne out by the respective playing time those players have seen over the last few of months. Smyth looks a genuinely exciting prospect with has the sort of pace and directness that I think we'd love to be able to call on. Even O'Neill enthused over him in a way I've never seen him display with regards to Manning.

They stayed competitive in the scoreline alone in that first leg against Switzerland who should have been out of sight but for poor finishing.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 2:04pm

In FIFA rankings only. 

Both teams have very similar fortunes right now I would argue.

If Michael O'Neill had the pick of our players, Northern Ireland would be at the World Cup.

We have some players emerging but possess a backward manager. The North have very little of note coming through, but possess a decent manager. (And anything decent of note that we can cap, we will) 

At some point, Michael O'Neill will not be able to compensate for the upcoming retirement of some key players, and the North will soon be back in pot 5.

Both sides have peaked under their respective O'Neill's, our next potential peak has much greater potential than theirs, whether we fulfil that potential or not is another thing. 

I don't think the Ryan Manning (21) vs Paul Smyth (20) comparison is hugely controversial. Manning has made 30 odd appearances in two seasons, and has scored twice, as a more traditional left-midfielder, while Smyth has played a handful of times and has one goal from a more attacking position.

Of course I'd like us to have both options, but its likely we wont.

On the basis of the past two seasons, Ryan Manning is just as exciting a prospect as Smyth and Martin should look at calling him up to the squad for the France game.

On the basis of club form, if Smyth can hack it at international level, then I'd wager that our own Ryan Manning can to. 

Edited by Maccatacca - 25 Mar 2018 at 2:10pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:02pm

In FIFA rankings only. 

That's reaching a bit Newt. They reached the last-16 of the Euros (same as us) and got knocked out of a World Cup Playoff (again, same as us). In terms of performance then, they're virtually identical to ourselves.

The big difference is in terms of depth of quality, where we are well ahead; as is well illustrated by the fact they're currently attempting to bring a man into their squad that can't get within an ars*s roar of even our 40 man provisional squad...

Essentially, they're currently getting more out of a more limited squad, but even at that they're only matching our performances at best. Add to that the severely ageing profile of many of their key players, I think we remain the more attractive option.
We're decent enough..
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:32pm
On the subject of players eligible for Ireland. 21 year-old Irish born striker Jon Gallagher scored two goals in Atlanta United II’s first ever game last night.

It’s difficult to get excited about someone scoring in the the MLS’s second division, but the lad absolutely has talent, and was one of the top rated prospects during the draft, a good season this year and he should be up to playing MLS next season.

He’s extremely technically gifted for an Irish born player, and is comfortable playing at number 10, left-wing, and as an all out striker.

Again we’ll have reservations about the standard of the MLS, but if this lad can make an impact at that level next season, he’ll be a viable option for us.

Noel King was in contact about calling him up to the under-21’s but a call-up didn’t materialize this time. He was also invited to play underage for America a year or two ago but didn’t have the correct paper work to represent them at the time.
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 5:42pm

On the subject of players eligible for Ireland. 21 year-old Irish born striker Jon Gallagher scored two goals in Atlanta United II’s first ever game last night.

It’s difficult to get excited about someone scoring in the the MLS’s second division, but the lad absolutely has talent, and was one of the top rated prospects during the draft, a good season this year and he should be up to playing MLS next season.

He’s extremely technically gifted for an Irish born player, and is comfortable playing at number 10, left-wing, and as an all out striker.

Again we’ll have reservations about the standard of the MLS, but if this lad can make an impact at that level next season, he’ll be a viable option for us.

Noel King was in contact about calling him up to the under-21’s but a call-up didn’t materialize this time. He was also invited to play underage for America a year or two ago but didn’t have the correct paper work to represent them at the time.

absolutely should be looked at, what have we got to lose
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 7:07pm

I thinks so. Gallagher, though he obviously has a lot to prove, looks a talent. I think we are seeing an increasing number of nations picking MLS players as the standard continues to improve, including World Cup Finalists Sweden who had Gustav Svensson of Seattle Sounders starting for them the other night, and Ola Kamara of Columbus Crew scored a hattrick for Norway over the weekend, so I'd have few qualms about calling up a player performing well in that league.

Edited by NewtNewbie - 25 Mar 2018 at 7:09pm
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2018 at 9:04pm
The Netherlands- Iceland analogy is good- you'll always have a bigger pool and out team will be easier to get into as a result. You can't predict exactly how u-17 or u-19 players will develop, esp as the best of them are competing with players from across the Globe for EPL places.

I'll admit that NI's defensive tactics mean a hockeying may be overdue, but remember that we havent lost a competitive game by 3 since 2011 or conceded 5 in a qualifier in McAuley's lifetime ;)
The Tribesman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 2:00am
AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:17pm

[/QUOTE]

Spot on. This is also the reason that some of the English/Irish decisions should come our way.
It's not me it's you:-)
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 12:57pm
The North are a better team than us and have been for a year or 2. Kills me to say it but it's true. We are very poor and by the looks of things, will be for the foreseeable future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 160161162163164 452>
  Share Topic