You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 452>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

I'm under a similar impression Nvidic and it wasn't something I read on here recently, I suppose when the youth systems aren't producing enough godd players best to check out as many Irish abroad as possible

Exactly, think it was 9 of 11 players in a recent starting team underage weren't Irish born? I'll beat the fai with every stick I can but this ain't one of them, albeit it would be preferable to provide them ourselves.
Sponsored Links

grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 4:03pm
Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Have the fai not been extremely proactive finding players and tracing their roots etc to find new players?

Read an article lately mentioning it, thought it was here. I'd be surprised if he wasn't rang.

“I haven’t had contact with him but if someone is showing an inclination – and their career with another country is well down the list – then it is certainly something I would consider. We don’t have a direct replacement for Murph so I wouldn’t discount it.” - MON

Seems MON has never contacted Bamford before. I think that is a bit ridiculous really. He seems to rely on this wait until they come to us sort of thing which certainly doesn't work with the modern player. He should be going all out to get us the best squad we can get - IMO

Edited by grannyrule - 14 Mar 2018 at 4:05pm
The only way is up
nvidic View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nvidic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 4:19pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Originally posted by nvidic nvidic wrote:

Have the fai not been extremely proactive finding players and tracing their roots etc to find new players?

Read an article lately mentioning it, thought it was here. I'd be surprised if he wasn't rang.

“I haven’t had contact with him but if someone is showing an inclination – and their career with another country is well down the list – then it is certainly something I would consider. We don’t have a direct replacement for Murph so I wouldn’t discount it.” - MON

Seems MON has never contacted Bamford before. I think that is a bit ridiculous really. He seems to rely on this wait until they come to us sort of thing which certainly doesn't work with the modern player. He should be going all out to get us the best squad we can get - IMO

Forgive me if I'm wrong but surely it'd be someone else ringing him and sounding out in first instance?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 4:23pm
Of course it would be, but that doesn't fit the agenda.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 4:45pm
I don't think anyone is disputing that the FAI was aware of Bamford; clearly they were, sure he played underage for us....

The point is that MON never contacted him before his recent excellent form, which would seem to be confirmed by the comment "I haven't had any contact with him".

Again, whether that's an indictment of MON or not is another issue. On one hand you could say that he should be able to spot potential without waiting form a spell of great form to confirm it; on the other hand you could say that there's no point in approaching players who are out of form. It's simply a matter of opinion.
We're decent enough..
arthur40 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 6:48pm
I am disappointed  in MON on this..Bamford has been talked about as a player for a while now...and he hasn't been in contact?..its not as though he hasen't got enough time on his hands
aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:09pm
Agree. Bamford, Robinson, Maguire, hogan, long, Walters and maybe keane would provide us with competation upfront that we badily need. Hope he comes on board
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:12pm
Walters is finished id be surprised if he dosent retire.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2018 at 7:49pm
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

People were saying exactly the same thing before the Austria game... Being injured (and thus out of sight), isn't the same as being finished. There is a tendency to conflate the two however, particularly when it comes to older players. I wouldn't write him off just yet.
We're decent enough..
mandrake View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mandrake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:12am
Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Yeah....cant see him being around for the next campaign. Great guy...legs gone injuries taking there toll now.. Thanks for the memories.Clap

yeah do people want our players to retire.... he's probably still better than some of our other options......they said that about McGrath, would you have retired him too
Come on Irelind
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 9:32am
Originally posted by mandrake mandrake wrote:

Originally posted by John Wick John Wick wrote:

Yeah....cant see him being around for the next campaign. Great guy...legs gone injuries taking there toll now.. Thanks for the memories.Clap

yeah do people want our players to retire.... he's probably still better than some of our other options......they said that about McGrath, would you have retired him too

In fairness, it depends on when? Poor aul Paul was struggling in a big way versus Holland in the playoff in 1995. 
El Puto Amo
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 10:05am
Walters will want to prolong his career at club level, his worst year for injuries and he will be 36 nearly 37 by the time next Euros come around, ill eat my owm micky if he stays around.

Edited by dubstep - 15 Mar 2018 at 10:06am
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 10:30am

Walters will want to prolong his career at club level, his worst year for injuries and he will be 36 nearly 37 by the time next Euros come around, ill eat my owm micky if he stays around.

An Hors d’oeuvre so
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2018 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

An Hors d’oeuvre so

LOL
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2018 at 2:06pm
Paul Smyth of QPR only wants to play for Northern Ireland.
Back of the Belfast Telegraph. Quotes are from QPR assistant manager Ian Barraclough

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 12:51pm
We need to be securing players at the earliest possible opportunity.

Bamford was at a very low ebb in his career going back to last season and the one before - why is it that we have not made any inroads on him, especially in a time when he would be more likely to declare.

We have continually missed the boat in these situations. Coleman at Wales was capping 17 year olds just to have them for the future if they turn out decent.

Why are we run and managed by utter morons.
arthur40 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote arthur40 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:02pm
..iv been saying this for a long time...we are losing potential top players because of our naivety 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2018 at 1:22pm
We should only be playing players that genuinely want to play for us.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 156157158159160 452>
  Share Topic