You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 453>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 5:01pm
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Possibly not thinking of his international career. The concentrating part was more of a question to you about playing for the under 21 side. But obviously you couldnt work that out.

I didn't know it was the FAI that selected the squads. Sorry about that.

whether he went to the euros or not so what? why does that matter to us? he can still play for us, if he is good enough we should be considering him as an option. It shouldnt matter to us what he has done with n.i in that past, That shouldn't worry us if we are able to select him. He has potential, not like we are coming down with young upcoming strikers at that level. Every decent option available to us should be considered.

And this is nonsense about him not being that big of a fan if hes playing for N.I. Did mcclean play for N.I under 21s? yes he did. I take it hes not a big fan of ours? The young fellow travelled to numerous games with the club I was involved in and was as passionate as any other there, So don't be coming out and saying oh hes not really a fan because he hasn't phoned the FAI jesus wept.Ermm

I will make this as simple as I can for you.

Given the whole CAS judgement and the fall out from it re FIFA and eligibility it is now crystal clear who can play for us and who cant .- a judgement I might add I whole heartenly welcomed and celebrated

You stated he is probably not thinking about international career then in the next breath he is playing for NI under 21s and was invited as their guest in Euro 2016 - Why did you think he was invited along - as a jolly ? - you cant have it both ways  

Martin O Neill selects the underage squads - first I heard of it

See point 1

No I am saying he couldn't be that fussed as he hasn't phoned the FAI, is he going to phone ?, issue a come and get me plea ?, hire a plane  with a banner  or say nothing ?

It really isn't that difficult

And as Willmc83 indicated there may well be an unwritten rule, informal understanding between the FAI/IFA that a player from the north has to make the first move .

Tell your mate I will loan him the 20p

Thanks for clearing that up. Clap
Sponsored Links

Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 5:19pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

I believe it's a policy of the FAI (although I'm open to correction) not to approach any players in NI. The initiative to move south has to come from the player themselves so in this instance NR would be right.  
I believe I have read that from the FAI, too.

Yet it's bullsh*t - several NI-born players have been approached, inc eg 

<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">Yesterday [29 April 2011], former Irish under 21 boss Don Givens confirmed that the FAI had approached Derry-born Shane Ferguson about the possibility of playing for the Republic of Ireland.</span>
<p style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">Ferguson, who has been a Northern Ireland international from under 17 level upwards, and has even played a friendly game at senior level, coming on as a substitute in a 3-0 loss against Italy. The fact that he has yet to play a competitive match for Northern Ireland allows him to switch allegiances and declare for another country.

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">Ferguson has caught the eye of many Irish fans playing for Newcastle United in the Premiership this season, and yesterday Don Givens (now the FAI’s chief scout) confirmed that the FAI had approached the 19 year old in order to get him to change to the Republic of Ireland.

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">“Shane is still kind of making his mind up but Mick Martin has spoken to him,” Givens told journalists. “I’m sure the North are not too happy with us. They have a small pool of players but in the long run, the less good results they get the more the dual players will want to come to us.”

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">http://greenscene.me/2011/04/fai-approach-shane-ferguson/

<p style="margin: 0px 0px 15px; padding: 0px; color: rgb51, 51, 51; font-family: Arial, Helvetica; font-size: 12.348px;">[Subsequent events have proven that Shane was not declining to play for NI for a period because he was interested in representing ROI. Rather it was that he had had a falling-out with Nigel Worthington, which was rectified the moment Michael O'Neill took over.]

6 years ago territorial

Anything recent or has the tin foil worn out and I mean formal not he said she said
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Cathal Sheehan View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathal Sheehan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

I believe it's a policy of the FAI (although I'm open to correction) not to approach any players in NI. The initiative to move south has to come from the player themselves so in this instance NR would be right.  

There is no rule in place, simply down to the fact we have (hopefully had soon) a Nordie as our manager who of course is against this who rule.
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 5:38pm

6 years ago territorial

Anything recent or has the tin foil worn out and I mean formal not he said she said
I have heard a few, certainly. More to the point, so has Michael O'Neill, and he would know:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/king-denies-wrongdoing-as-row-over-recruitment-of-northern-players-rumbles-on-35535925.html

But the FAI don't own up to it publicly, and the players concerned don't want/need the hassle of exposing it, so no direct proof that I can quote just now.

But maybe you believe the FAI leopard has changed its spots in the last few years... 

P.S. It is interesting that Givens/Greenscene used a loaded term like "admitted", rather than "confirmed" or some other neutral term. I was disappointed that there was no "shameless" in there, mind.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

6 years ago territorial

I have heard a few, certainly. More to the point, so has Michael O'Neill, and he would know:
http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/international-soccer/king-denies-wrongdoing-as-row-over-recruitment-of-northern-players-rumbles-on-35535925.html

But the FAI don't own up to it publicly, and the players concerned don't want/need the hassle of exposing it, so no direct proof that I can quote just now.

But maybe you believe the FAI leopard has changed its spots in the last few years... 

P.S. It is interesting that Givens/Greenscene used a loaded term like "admitted", rather than "confirmed" or some other neutral term. I was disappointed that there was no "shameless" in there, mind.

I am happy enough if the player instigates it preferably directly but i see no mention of the reverse

O Neill could also be playing to the gallery

Edited by Newryrep - 03 Jan 2018 at 6:26pm
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Stickittotheman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stickittotheman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:37pm
Boohoo terri, if someone is approached by the FAI the precedent was set long ago. They are quite entitled to do what they wish. And to use the NI setup as they were born in the juristiction.
Walters coming back from an offside position but Shane Long was definitely onside- Shane Lonnggggggg.... has done it!!!!
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:46pm
Regardless of whether or not the FAI approach northern-born players (it seems that they rarely do) they have absolutely every right to do so. I've long said that they should be far more explicit in doing so, there's no reason whatsoever why a guy from Derry should be treated any differently to a guy from Donegal; if he's good enough, offer him a call-up.
We're decent enough..
NIGreenWall View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIGreenWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by NIGreenWall NIGreenWall wrote:

Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Well he's only played 1 game in England so he's sort of came from nowhere, Looks to have lightening pace and has an eye for goal. Exactly what we need. We will know soon enough though as I'd imagine he will get a call up for N.Ireland soon with there options very thin on the ground.

This one is unlikely for you lads, he was at the Euros as part of the Northern Ireland squad and has spoke of wanting to play for NI.

Was he?
not according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Northern_Ireland - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Northern_Ireland

Yes, he was one of two players who went to the Euros as fill-in players for training sessions to cover for players who couldn't train.

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/12019/10305587/northern-ireland-train-in-france-for-first-time-ahead-of-euro-2016
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:58pm
The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence, as someone once said
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence, as someone once said

Was it a rabid conspiracy theorist by any chance?
We're decent enough..
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:46pm
It wouldn't be the end of the world if the player instigated it and it would leave the FAI free of the accusation of tapping up ( though seemingly the set up in the north is much more professional/progressive), I am really not sure what the problem is ?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 7:49pm
How could the FAI possibly be accused of "tapping up" Irish nationals though? Surely it would be a more egregious crime to ignore them, as if they aren't as Irish as everyone else?
We're decent enough..
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

How could the FAI possibly be accused of "tapping up" Irish nationals though? Surely it would be a more egregious crime to ignore them, as if they aren't as Irish as everyone else?

if they are currently plying their trade for another footballing entity ?

Can somebody answer why they cant pick up a phone and let the FAI know and leave it at that ? 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:17pm
What does that matter? They're Irish nationals, they can play for the FAI's teams, so why on earth would the FAI not proactively make contact with them?

There's a whole host of reasons why a player may be hesitant to make the first step themselves, primarily being concerned with coming across as a billy-big-boll****, or damaging their chances of a career with NI in the event that the FAI have absolutely no interest in them etc.
We're decent enough..
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

What does that matter? They're Irish nationals, they can play for the FAI's teams, so why on earth would the FAI not proactively make contact with them?

There's a whole host of reasons why a player may be hesitant to make the first step themselves, primarily being concerned with coming across as a billy-big-boll****, or damaging their chances of a career with NI in the event that the FAI have absolutely no interest in them etc.

think we aren't going to agree on this one Smile
dubstep View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 8:32pm
Thing is . If he fancy himself to be a future regular for us he will declare . That's how it usually goes. If he doesn't he won't. Can't think of any player in recent times who that statement wouldn't be true of.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:20pm

O Neill could also be playing to the gallery
Absolutely not his style to make something up which can do nothing for him but provoke a controversy.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Stickittotheman Stickittotheman wrote:

Boohoo terri, if someone is approached by the FAI the precedent was set long ago. They are quite entitled to do what they wish. And to use the NI setup as they were born in the juristiction.
They may be entitled to approach players, but they shouldn't also be pretending that they don't, especially when they purport to maintain good relations with the IFA on other matters.

"Sleeveen" is the term, I think (aka "Delaneyism").

P.S. If you're going to use big words like "jurisdiction", you might be advised to learn what they mean first.

Edited by Territorial - 03 Jan 2018 at 10:32pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 135136137138139 453>
  Share Topic