You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 452>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dubstep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2018 at 10:45pm
Still only 19 plenty of time for him to develop. Lads like Hoolahan and Hourihane only broke through at 25 26 . It's a lot harder for lads in there late teens early 20s nowadays.
Sponsored Links

NIGreenWall View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIGreenWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:08am
Originally posted by dubstep dubstep wrote:

Well he's only played 1 game in England so he's sort of came from nowhere, Looks to have lightening pace and has an eye for goal. Exactly what we need. We will know soon enough though as I'd imagine he will get a call up for N.Ireland soon with there options very thin on the ground.

This one is unlikely for you lads, he was at the Euros as part of the Northern Ireland squad and has spoke of wanting to play for NI.
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 6:27am
Originally posted by Irish2011 Irish2011 wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

If he was that big of an Ireland fan surely he would have let it be known he wanted to play/switch to us.
agreed.

Spot on - it’s not as if telephone lines into Dublin have been down for months , he could easily have picked up a phone
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:01am
Originally posted by NIGreenWall NIGreenWall wrote:

Well he's only played 1 game in England so he's sort of came from nowhere, Looks to have lightening pace and has an eye for goal. Exactly what we need. We will know soon enough though as I'd imagine he will get a call up for N.Ireland soon with there options very thin on the ground.

This one is unlikely for you lads, he was at the Euros as part of the Northern Ireland squad and has spoke of wanting to play for NI.

Was he?
PaulB View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:14am

If he was that big of an Ireland fan surely he would have let it be known he wanted to play/switch to us.

Mcclean played for N.I u21s also. He was going to our homes games regularly when at Linfield. If we came calling id have no doubt he would agree to play for us. Lets see how he develops still very young. But we should be keeping an eye on him. 
PaulB View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:19am
Originally posted by Newryrep Newryrep wrote:

agreed.

Spot on - it’s not as if telephone lines into Dublin have been down for months , he could easily have picked up a phone

Probably more concentrated in breaking into the QPR side I would imagine this last 4 months. Could possibly not even have been thinking off international football considering hes only left the Irish league.  
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:49am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

agreed.

Probably more concentrated in breaking into the QPR side I would imagine this last 4 months. Could possibly not even have been thinking off international football considering hes only left the Irish league.  

Confused you stated earlier he was playing for the NI u21's

again wtf should we go to him instead of visa versa
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 9:54am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Originally posted by NIGreenWall NIGreenWall wrote:

Was he?
not according to this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2016_squads#Northern_Ireland

All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Floreat Ultonia View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floreat Ultonia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 10:17am
Paul Smyth was one of four or five NI youth players invited to join the main squad at the Euros. There for the experience
Cathal Sheehan View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cathal Sheehan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 11:01am
Cant really see us getting him tbh unless Michael takes over the Republic and even then its not likely to happen.
PaulB View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 11:04am

agreed.

So because he has played for NI u21s that means hes concentrating on his international career at this moment, I think we know playing underage levels here doesn't mean jack. How many of our players in the past have played underage football for n.i? Id imagine as a young player only starting his professional career the last thing on his mind is to give martin o neill a bell. Surely the manager should be contacting prospects to discuss their situation. I thought that's usually how it worked.

Edited by PaulB - 03 Jan 2018 at 11:11am
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 12:39pm

agreed.

So because he has played for NI u21s that means hes concentrating on his international career at this moment, I think we know playing underage levels here doesn't mean jack. How many of our players in the past have played underage football for n.i? Id imagine as a young player only starting his professional career the last thing on his mind is to give martin o neill a bell. Surely the manager should be contacting prospects to discuss their situation. I thought that's usually how it worked.

your referenced 'thinking' about international career then subsequently changed to  concentrating bit of difference ????

who mentioned phoning Martin O Neill , contact the FAI, its not thst difficult, times have moved on from pony express

did he accept the euro invite BTW ?

PaulB View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 1:20pm

agreed.

your referenced 'thinking' about international career then subsequently changed to  concentrating bit of difference ????

who mentioned phoning Martin O Neill , contact the FAI, its not thst difficult, times have moved on from pony express

did he accept the euro invite BTW ?

Possibly not thinking of his international career. The concentrating part was more of a question to you about playing for the under 21 side. But obviously you couldnt work that out.

I didn't know it was the FAI that selected the squads. Sorry about that.

whether he went to the euros or not so what? why does that matter to us? he can still play for us, if he is good enough we should be considering him as an option. It shouldnt matter to us what he has done with n.i in that past, That shouldn't worry us if we are able to select him. He has potential, not like we are coming down with young upcoming strikers at that level. Every decent option available to us should be considered.

And this is nonsense about him not being that big of a fan if hes playing for N.I. Did mcclean play for N.I under 21s? yes he did. I take it hes not a big fan of ours? The young fellow travelled to numerous games with the club I was involved in and was as passionate as any other there, So don't be coming out and saying oh hes not really a fan because he hasn't phoned the FAI jesus wept.Ermm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 1:24pm
The simple solution would be to just ask him, if he says yes, great, and if he says no, then move on.
We're decent enough..
PaulB View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 1:30pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

The simple solution would be to just ask him, if he says yes, great, and if he says no, then move on.
Agreed
willmcc83 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote willmcc83 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 3:00pm
I believe it's a policy of the FAI (although I'm open to correction) not to approach any players in NI. The initiative to move south has to come from the player themselves so in this instance NR would be right.  
Time To Get Behind Mick & The Team
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 4:00pm

Possibly not thinking of his international career. The concentrating part was more of a question to you about playing for the under 21 side. But obviously you couldnt work that out.

I didn't know it was the FAI that selected the squads. Sorry about that.

whether he went to the euros or not so what? why does that matter to us? he can still play for us, if he is good enough we should be considering him as an option. It shouldnt matter to us what he has done with n.i in that past, That shouldn't worry us if we are able to select him. He has potential, not like we are coming down with young upcoming strikers at that level. Every decent option available to us should be considered.

And this is nonsense about him not being that big of a fan if hes playing for N.I. Did mcclean play for N.I under 21s? yes he did. I take it hes not a big fan of ours? The young fellow travelled to numerous games with the club I was involved in and was as passionate as any other there, So don't be coming out and saying oh hes not really a fan because he hasn't phoned the FAI jesus wept.Ermm

I will make this as simple as I can for you.

Given the whole CAS judgement and the fall out from it re FIFA and eligibility it is now crystal clear who can play for us and who cant .- a judgement I might add I whole heartenly welcomed and celebrated

You stated he is probably not thinking about international career then in the next breath he is playing for NI under 21s and was invited as their guest in Euro 2016 - Why did you think he was invited along - as a jolly ? - you cant have it both ways  

Martin O Neill selects the underage squads - first I heard of it

See point 1

No I am saying he couldn't be that fussed as he hasn't phoned the FAI, is he going to phone ?, issue a come and get me plea ?, hire a plane  with a banner  or say nothing ?

It really isn't that difficult

And as Willmc83 indicated there may well be an unwritten rule, informal understanding between the FAI/IFA that a player from the north has to make the first move .

Tell your mate I will loan him the 20p

Edited by Newryrep - 03 Jan 2018 at 4:00pm
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2018 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by willmcc83 willmcc83 wrote:

I believe it's a policy of the FAI (although I'm open to correction) not to approach any players in NI. The initiative to move south has to come from the player themselves so in this instance NR would be right.  
I believe I have read that from the FAI, too.

Yet it's bullsh*t - several NI-born players have been approached, inc eg 

Yesterday [29 April 2011], former Irish under 21 boss Don Givens confirmed that the FAI had approached Derry-born Shane Ferguson about the possibility of playing for the Republic of Ireland.

Ferguson, who has been a Northern Ireland international from under 17 level upwards, and has even played a friendly game at senior level, coming on as a substitute in a 3-0 loss against Italy. The fact that he has yet to play a competitive match for Northern Ireland allows him to switch allegiances and declare for another country.

Ferguson has caught the eye of many Irish fans playing for Newcastle United in the Premiership this season, and yesterday Don Givens (now the FAI’s chief scout) confirmed that the FAI had approached the 19 year old in order to get him to change to the Republic of Ireland.

“Shane is still kind of making his mind up but Mick Martin has spoken to him,” Givens told journalists. “I’m sure the North are not too happy with us. They have a small pool of players but in the long run, the less good results they get the more the dual players will want to come to us.”

http://greenscene.me/2011/04/fai-approach-shane-ferguson/

[Subsequent events have proven that Shane was not declining to play for NI for a period because he was interested in representing ROI. Rather it was that he had had a falling-out with Nigel Worthington, which was rectified the moment Michael O'Neill took over.]

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 134135136137138 452>
  Share Topic