Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 452>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 4:59pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Nathan Redmond called up by England.

Think that ship sailed soon as Southgate took over fully
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 5:13pm
Yes, that's right.  Shame.  Mum is from Dublin I think, but his career has taken off so much that England was always going to be an option.  

Similar to uncapped Michael Keane, who's also in the squad.  Would be great to have the likes of Redmond, Keane, Harry Kane, even Grealish and Scott Hogan; but them is the breaks at the moment. 

I really hope young Connor Ronan or Josh Cullen don't go the same way. Both have great potential.  Would like to see them both involved in the senior squad in a developmental capacity sooner rather than later. 

Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 7:51pm
I think there's little chance of Ronan and especially Cullen switching allegiance. Both seen dedicated to the cause but there'd be no harm in calling them up in the next year, possibly for the Mexico game.
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

I think there's little chance of Ronan and especially Cullen switching allegiance. Both seen dedicated to the cause but there'd be no harm in calling them up in the next year, possibly for the Mexico game.

Yeah..think Cullen should be called up for the summer friendlies.

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2017 at 9:37pm
Originally posted by Mr. Snrub Mr. Snrub wrote:

I hope you're right, but I can think of one lad from a very strong Irish background in Birmingham, three Irish grand-parents, excellent GAA player, graced Croker in his youth, played footie for us internationally all the way up getting player of the year awards for us . . . .

. . . who then switched. 

There's no guarantee. Ronan has already played a few games for England at U15 or 16 before switching back to us. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2017 at 10:29am
There's never any guarantee until they're on the pitch in a competitive match, but in the cases of Ronan and Cullen I think the ball is very much in our court. With the likes of Field, Hogan etc. it's still up in the air of course, but I'd say there's a good chance a majority of them will choose us.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:17am
Given that we're probably going to be without our first choice right-back for the rest of the campaign, I wonder will O'Neill take the opportunity to recruit some extra cover? Beyond Christie, Luke Chambers is the only guy we have playing regularly at right-back in the top 2 divisions of English footbal (31 years old, naturally a centre-back), so we're very light on options. Doherty could also do a job, but he looks much better at left-back. The obvious option in terms of recruitment is Naughton, but there's surely a few others too who could provide us with cover while Coleman is out.
We're decent enough..
Lenny82 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lenny82 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:08am
Meyler can cover Christie and then there is Matt Doherty who is a right footer who happens to be playing Left Back at club level.

We'll be okay.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:21am
I'm well aware Doherty is right-footed, that's why I said he could do a job for us there... The reality is however that he was having a fairly undistinguished career until he moved to left-back, which is where he has excelled. Ideally that's what we should be viewing him as. We're at a stage now where an injury to Christie or Meyler would really leave us in the sh*t, I think we could do with another natural right-back to mitigate that.
We're decent enough..
SByrne24 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SByrne24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:12pm

Given that we're probably going to be without our first choice right-back for the rest of the campaign, I wonder will O'Neill take the opportunity to recruit some extra cover? Beyond Christie, Luke Chambers is the only guy we have playing regularly at right-back in the top 2 divisions of English footbal (31 years old, naturally a centre-back), so we're very light on options. Doherty could also do a job, but he looks much better at left-back. The obvious option in terms of recruitment is Naughton, but there's surely a few others too who could provide us with cover while Coleman is out.

I think we tried and failed with Naughton. 

Let's hope O'Neill arrives in Birmingham to get Hogan in a green jersey, we need the man come June. It's getting scary upfront, if Long gets injured.. we're in serious bother.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:20pm
I think Naughton just got called up for an England B squad. Either way, Doherty is the ideal cover
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:23pm
No chance of MON seeking out and recruiting a new right back for the remainder of the campaign

Naughton no better than what we have anyway

Edited by Roberto Baggio - 27 Mar 2017 at 1:24pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

No chance of MON seeking out and recruiting a new right back for the remainder of the campaign

I agree

Options there for him, Christie, Doherty, Meyler even Hayes can play right back if badly needed

Edited by lassassinblanc - 27 Mar 2017 at 1:44pm
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 1:59pm

I think he would be a pretty big step up! As O'Shea said, we have one out and out right back and Naughton is clearly much better than him. I think the ship has sailed.
Doherty certainly seems to have improved since switching sides but is surely still capable at right-back and worth a look.
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

I think he would be a pretty big step up! As O'Shea said, we have one out and out right back and Naughton is clearly much better than him. I think the ship has sailed.
Doherty certainly seems to have improved since switching sides but is surely still capable at right-back and worth a look.

You really aren't a fan of Christie are you LOL
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

I agree

Options there for him, Christie, Doherty, Meyler even Hayes can play right back if badly needed

Hayes is a left-footed winger, no chance in hell can we afford to be playing him at right-back. Christie is our only natural-right back playing in that position for his club at the moment, that is a pretty dire situation.
We're decent enough..
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:11pm

I agree

Hayes is a left-footed winger, no chance in hell can we afford to be playing him at right-back. Christie is our only natural-right back playing in that position for his club at the moment, that is a pretty dire situation.

Why I said if badly needed.

Who played right back for U21's against Kosovo?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:13pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

You really aren't a fan of Christie are you LOL
You don't think Naughton is better than him? I'd love for Christie to become an international superstar but he won't, he has done amazingly well to get as far as he has in the game and used his athleticism to make up for other failings, the problem is the higher you go in the game the more those failings will be exposed.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 111112113114115 452>
  Share Topic