You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 423424425426427 451>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 7:19pm
Didn't know he was from a Russian background. The Russian community in Riga (about 25% of the city's population) were moved in during the Soviet era to try and make Latvia more Russian and keep it in Moscow's orbit. They were never welcomed by the native Latvians and felt like complete outcasts in the city when I was there a few years ago, you'd see Russian bars and restaurants tucked away in quiet corners of the city and nobody Latvian seemed to have a good word to say about them. And that was before Russia invaded Ukraine so it's probably worse now. If he is of Russian descent I doubt he'll play for Latvia wherever he ends up.
Sponsored Links

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 9:47pm
A decent left full will always get chances with England a position they have never had loads of depth in, can't see why he wouldn't stick with them tbh.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2023 at 11:41pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

While Cirkin is clearly a player with a bit of ability, it should be pointed out that we have several options coming through in the LB position, while many on here are also bemoaning the fact that Manning hasnt made the squad. Any/all of Adaramola, Furlong, Roughan and even Bagan could be playing regular Championship football next season. Cirkin is with the English U21s currently, is eligible for Latvia, the country of his parents' birth, likely Russia too. He also happens to be Irish eligible by birth (think he left Ireland when he was under 2yo), but he is unlikely to have any natural affinity to us which is entirely understandable. I wouldnt die in a ditch over this lad.

Convienient that he was born here, another looking for an Irish passport......

What the f**k does that even mean?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 10:20am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

While Cirkin is clearly a player with a bit of ability, it should be pointed out that we have several options coming through in the LB position, while many on here are also bemoaning the fact that Manning hasnt made the squad. Any/all of Adaramola, Furlong, Roughan and even Bagan could be playing regular Championship football next season. Cirkin is with the English U21s currently, is eligible for Latvia, the country of his parents' birth, likely Russia too. He also happens to be Irish eligible by birth (think he left Ireland when he was under 2yo), but he is unlikely to have any natural affinity to us which is entirely understandable. I wouldnt die in a ditch over this lad.

Convienient that he was born here, another looking for an Irish passport......

What the f**k does that even mean?

It was more taking the piss out of the lads who were up in arms about Obafemi being born here looking for a passport/citizenship.
Similar situation that his parents aren't Irish and then he left when he was a kid.
The dark side.. And the light
Fireball07 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fireball07 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 12:09pm
Cirkin is a decent player.

Personally, he'd be the type of player I think we should be pursuing. As of now, I doubt he'll be good enough to get many caps for England.

But he is still very young and has improved massively this season, despite all the injuries. Get him capped while he's young and he could be a very good option.

He's very good at left centre-back, and a pretty decent left-back. Very committed, strong in the tackle (bit rash at times) and has added goals to his game. His biggest flaw is that he is ridiculously one-footed and a little predictable as a result of that.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Fireball07 Fireball07 wrote:

Cirkin is a decent player.

Personally, he'd be the type of player I think we should be pursuing. As of now, I doubt he'll be good enough to get many caps for England.

But he is still very young and has improved massively this season, despite all the injuries. Get him capped while he's young and he could be a very good option.

He's very good at left centre-back, and a pretty decent left-back. Very committed, strong in the tackle (bit rash at times) and has added goals to his game. His biggest flaw is that he is ridiculously one-footed and a little predictable as a result of that.

And similar to Sean Roughan this will likely be his long term position rather than playing WB or FB.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 3:58pm
Yes, and at 21 Cirkin is significantly ahead of the other like candidates in terms of development (e.g.: Adaramola, Furlong, Roughan, etc.).  

The only player "outside" the squad in and around his level is Manning, who is a different type of player and different age-profile.  

From this remove, Cirkin would be someone to get involved, if a possibility.  

Put it this way, if he was born in Belfast or Cardiff (or New York), they'd have been on to him long ago. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 4:20pm
If he was born in Cardiff or New York he wouldn't be eligible ffs
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 4:26pm
He wouldn't be eligible if he'd been born in Belfast either incidentally, but that's clearly not the point that was being made.
We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 4:36pm
Yes he would.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Yes he would.

No, he wouldn't. Irish citizenship to those born in the north is only afforded to individuals with at least 1 Irish born parent. Cirkin, and everyone else like his with 2 foreign parents, would be ineligible for Ireland.

Edited by The O'Shea - 03 Jun 2023 at 4:48pm
We're decent enough..
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 4:56pm
https://www.dfa.ie/citizenship/

First paragraph:

If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen. You can apply for an Irish passport without making an application for citizenship.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 5:09pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

He wouldn't be eligible if he'd been born in Belfast either incidentally, but that's clearly not the point that was being made.

He would have been as someone born in 2002.
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Even after 2005 I'm somewhat sure he'd be eligible as Latvia joined the EU before the referendum so his parents would have been EU citizens so would have been legally allowed reside in Ireland.

"Individuals born in the country since that date (Jan 1st 2005) receive Irish citizenship at birth if at least one of their parents is an Irish citizen or entitled to be one, a British citizen, a resident with no time limit of stay in either the Republic or Northern Ireland, or a resident who has been domiciled on the island of Ireland for at least three of the preceding four years."

As EU citizens they'd surely meet the requirement in bold wouldn't they?

Edited by J89 - 03 Jun 2023 at 5:34pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 5:50pm
They would have up until Brexit anyway. Not sure what the situation would be for a (non-Irish) EU national moving to the north now. Probably hardly any move there these days, they would just move to the Republic instead.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

No, he wouldn't. It was formalised as part of the GFA that Irish citizenship in the north would only be conferred to those with at least 1 Irish born parent.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 6:33pm
You better let the Department of Foreign Affairs know then...

"If you or your parent were born on the island of Ireland before 2005, you are an Irish citizen."

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2023 at 9:16pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

If he was born in Cardiff or New York he wouldn't be eligible ffs

Sorry, I've caused confusion and perhaps I wasn't clear. 

If he was born in Cardiff or Belfast or New York: Wales, NI or USA would be on to him smart-ish making a big effort to get him involved. 

I wasn't saying foreign-born Irish eligible players get priority in our selections.  A different topic altogether. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 423424425426427 451>
  Share Topic