You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 420421422423424 450>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 3:04pm
We're wasting our time going after American lads for the most part. As someone else mentioned, any of them that are anywhere close to the standard we would need will just be capped by the US in "competitive" games against crap Central American and Caribbean teams, in order to tie them to the US. 

Other than Irish born players our best hope of bringing people in has always been England and to a lesser extent, the west of Scotland and that will continue to be the case.
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:02pm
Liam Delap and Alex Scott both included in Englands U-20 world cup squad. 
We're decent enough..
Maccatacca View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Maccatacca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:10pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Maybe a stupid question, but I presume under 20 is considered a competitive underage cap if its in the world cup, even if UEFA don't have an u20 age group?
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:15pm
Couldn’t be bothered looking through the posts! Is Jacob Murphy eligible? 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by Maccatacca Maccatacca wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Maybe a stupid question, but I presume under 20 is considered a competitive underage cap if its in the world cup, even if UEFA don't have an u20 age group?

Correct.
We're decent enough..
PaddyMaddenIsCounty! View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyMaddenIsCounty! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2023 at 9:20pm
No not eligible unfortunately. Irish link is his stepdads side of family and think one generation out. Presumably he was legally adopted to take his stepdads name and if family link wasn’t generation out think he would have still qualified like Cascarino.

Edited by PaddyMaddenIsCounty! - 11 May 2023 at 9:29pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 12:45pm
Zak Gilsenan in the Australia U23 squad for the Toulon tournament this summer.
Idah Dream!
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 12:56pm
I don't think he had much chance of getting in to our Under 21s so probably a sensible decision to go with Australia at this point if they're offering him a squad place. He hasn't threatened the Blackburn first team at all.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 1:37pm
Its a freindly tournament so doesn't tie him either way, plus he needs games after that bad injury, wouldn't say he's committed either way yet.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 15 May 2023 at 1:50pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I don't think he had much chance of getting in to our Under 21s so probably a sensible decision to go with Australia at this point if they're offering him a squad place. He hasn't threatened the Blackburn first team at all.

He's only returned from a year out with a knee injury, so it was always likely to be next season until we'll see if he has a shot of getting in Blackburns 1st team.
We're decent enough..
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 8:30pm
Aussie have a fantastic development set-up from the U23s, with the national coach prioritising it as a breeding ground for future internationals.   

It's a fast track to the senior team and a world cup appearance every four years.

If a player does well in that program, I would be surprised if he jumped ship back to us.  

Graham Arnold is the amiable coach, and he speaks a bit about it here in this enjoyable interview on Sacked In The Morning:

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 8:38pm
I wonder are our scouts having a closer look at Denis Cirkin?

LB a problem spot for us in the near-future. 

He's making more and more waves, and could be a PL player next year.  

Though looks unlikely to be involved with England in the foreseeable future, whatever about Lithuania.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 9:45pm
He'll be with England under 21s in the next campaign I'd say. 
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Though looks unlikely to be involved with England in the foreseeable future, whatever about Lithuania.
Manning, O'Dowda, Furlong, Adaramola, Roughan, Lyons. I think we'll be ok! Haven't been overly impressed by Cirkin either!
Idah Dream!
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 10:12pm

I think you mean Latvia but as YTM said above, he'll likely be involved with Englands 21s. I think he's also eligible for Russia but could be wrong about that.
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Manning, O'Dowda, Furlong, Adaramola, Roughan, Lyons. I think we'll be ok! Haven't been overly impressed by Cirkin either!

He's a better player than the majority of the above players you've mentioned, John. Certainly Furlong, Adaramola and Lyons and could argue regarding O'Dowda.

Edited by Badgersboys9 - 15 May 2023 at 10:22pm
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Badgersboys9 Badgersboys9 wrote:

Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

He's a better player than the majority of the above players you've mentioned, John. Certainly Furlong, Adaramola and Lyons and could argue regarding O'Dowda.
Well I could argue he isn't, he looks rash to me and he has struggled to hold down a ft place at sunderland. As I said he hasn't impressed me when I've seen him play. Regardless Sunderland aren't going up!
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2023 at 10:31pm
While Roughan can play LWB his long term position will be at LCB. Similar Cirkin has played a bit at CB this season. Transfermarkt have him starting his first nine games at CB.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 420421422423424 450>
  Share Topic