You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 387388389390391 451>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:35pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Mark Noble could have played for Ireland, he would definitely been a starter and won many caps, he also would have played in 1 if not 2 major championships.

He captained England at underage and always maintained his dream was to play for England.

He has a massive Irish family (some of whom live in my area), but he declined a call up because he said it wasn't right and that he would ultimately be taking another players place and denying their dream to play for Ireland.

O'Hara and Kitson said similar. Always admired that.

In fairness to the likes of Will Keane and Callum Robinson, the only thing separating them from a lot of the lads who've played with us all through the age groups (I'll use Coventry as an example) is that, at one stage or another, they were good enough to wear an England shirt. You can attribute loyalty to lads who've always worn an Ireland shirt but a lot of them never had a choice to make as they were never on the radar.

Connor Ronan is on the fringes of the senior squad right now and has rotated between intl teams. That's as embarrassing as anything.

Ronan played u17 for England when he was 16 and then switched to us at u17 level and has represented us every other level since. Never went back to England, even when he was getting strong attention the season he made Wolves debut when he was 17.

Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:45pm
In fairness to Ronan, above is true. Suspicions lie more with players who play with England up to under 21, then change. At that point they know what way the wind is blowing.
SC92 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SC92 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:45pm
Nice purity test going on here on who we can class as irish ... that has no problematic suggestions whatsoever. 

To the point of slating the likes of seemingly nice enough lads like Ronan and Coventry for having English accents geez.. they aren't taking the places of irish players they are irish (and english) the world isnt black and white. If they are in an ireland shirt it's on merit.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:51pm

I don't give 2 hoots if they grow legs or not. These chancers shouldn't by anywhere near the squad.

I've no issue with these lads coming on board, but not when the England dream is over.

Homegrown Irish players are missing out.

If the "homegrown Irish players" were good enough, they'd get into the squad anyway. International football is not a charity giveaway, you choose the best options available to you.
We're decent enough..
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:53pm
If the rules allow it then ultimately they can play for us. Lads are entitled to their opinion but Connor Ronan or Will Keane didn't make the rules. If they qualify and have Irish blood thats sufficient they aren't stealing positions as some lads put it they are entitled to declare and play for us!

Also Conor Coventry has been with Ireland all the way up despite having quite a reputation and a very pro English board too. I get the impression that he is the closest thing we have today to a Kilbane type in that the desire to play with us is close to bombproof. Strange including him with Cyrus Christie. 

Hotlips is bang on regarding wasting energy over Delap Barry Egan Riley etc no doubt. Of course there's so much depth in attacking positions for England that they may jump ship to us like Che Adams for Scotland or Antonio did for Jamaica let's say. Until it happens concentrate on the lads that are playing with us!

Edited by kevin100 - 01 Jul 2022 at 12:54pm
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Mark Noble could have played for Ireland, he would definitely been a starter and won many caps, he also would have played in 1 if not 2 major championships.

He captained England at underage and always maintained his dream was to play for England.

He has a massive Irish family (some of whom live in my area), but he declined a call up because he said it wasn't right and that he would ultimately be taking another players place and denying their dream to play for Ireland.

In fairness to the likes of Will Keane and Callum Robinson, the only thing separating them from a lot of the lads who've played with us all through the age groups (I'll use Coventry as an example) is that, at one stage or another, they were good enough to wear an England shirt. You can attribute loyalty to lads who've always worn an Ireland shirt but a lot of them never had a choice to make as they were never on the radar.

Connor Ronan is on the fringes of the senior squad right now and has rotated between intl teams. That's as embarrassing as anything.

Ronan played u17 for England when he was 16 and then switched to us at u17 level and has represented us every other level since. Never went back to England, even when he was getting strong attention the season he made Wolves debut when he was 17.

He has clearly stated that he plumped for Ireland and wanted always to stay with Ireland. How his career turned out up to now is irrelevant. 

Don't know why people entertain HH on this.  He can't make his point without being disrespectful to the players and to the truth. If he said one day that only Irish born lads with Irish parents should play for Ireland and why he thought that and supported it with whatever facts he wanted then I would nearly appreciate his point of view more. Instead, all we get are these passive aggressive digs and slights of skepticism thrown at young lads that have the audacity to wear the Irish shirt and run around after a ball for Ireland. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by SC92 SC92 wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I don't give 2 hoots if they grow legs or not. These chancers shouldn't by anywhere near the squad.

I've no issue with these lads coming on board, but not when the England dream is over.

Homegrown Irish players are missing out.

Chancers like Ray Houghton (obviously Scottish but a similar situation) and many more from our greatest ever squads?

Different times. For various reasons we are not as reliant on the granny rule anymore. We could rely exclusively on Irish-born players and not be that worse off. 

The dregs of what England produce like Louie Watson and Conor Coventry and Cyrus Christie aren't going to change anyone's fortunes drastically in international football, and at that point you're probably just better working with players who've come through domestically.

Conor Coventry has been excellent for our youth teams and could develop into an international standard of player for us. Not sure why you have to call him "dregs" so disrespectful are "england cooties" that bad we have to disrespect players that have shown us nothing but loyalty and enthusiasm to wear the shirt.

I have no issue with not going after dual nats especially when we are clear 2nd choice to them and they don't improve us but we shouldn't stereotype them. It's possible to feel attachment to several countries...

He describes them as "dregs" because he's a lowlife who genuinely despises Irish people born in England. HH is more concerned with lambasting those who don't fit his definition of Irishness than he is with actually supporting Ireland.

Edited by The O'Shea - 01 Jul 2022 at 12:57pm
We're decent enough..
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

He has clearly stated that he plumped for Ireland and wanted always to stay with Ireland. How his career turned out up to now is irrelevant. 

Don't know why people entertain HH on this.  He can't make his point without being disrespectful to the players and to the truth. If he said one day that only Irish born lads with Irish parents should play for Ireland and why he thought that and supported it with whatever facts he wanted then I would nearly appreciate his point of view more. Instead, all we get are these passive aggressive digs and slights of skepticism thrown at young lads that have the audacity to wear the Irish shirt and run around after a ball for Ireland. 

If Ronan always wanted to stay with Ireland, why did he play for England at all? I seriously doubt he would be playing for Ireland at all if his career had the same trajectory as Grealish or Rice.

I haven't made digs at any players. I referred to the dregs, as in remnants, of players produced in England that are eligible for Ireland. Maybe harsh but true.

I could list hundreds of good players eligible for Ireland who stuck with England. I could list two or three who played for us and maybe could've got two or three caps for them.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 01 Jul 2022 at 1:58pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

If the rules allow it then ultimately they can play for us. Lads are entitled to their opinion but Connor Ronan or Will Keane didn't make the rules. If they qualify and have Irish blood thats sufficient they aren't stealing positions as some lads put it they are entitled to declare and play for us!

Also Conor Coventry has been with Ireland all the way up despite having quite a reputation and a very pro English board too. I get the impression that he is the closest thing we have today to a Kilbane type in that the desire to play with us is close to bombproof. Strange including him with Cyrus Christie. 

Hotlips is bang on regarding wasting energy over Delap Barry Egan Riley etc no doubt. Of course there's so much depth in attacking positions for England that they may jump ship to us like Che Adams for Scotland or Antonio did for Jamaica let's say. Until it happens concentrate on the lads that are playing with us!

I've actually defended Keane and Robinson on this thread. They're well within the rules to play for Ireland if they're not good enough to play for England, even if I don't agree with it. That's the fault of the people who draft the rules, not the players. 

The onus is also on coaches at underage level and people within the FAI to ensure that we don't need to take advantage of the granny rule and can produce our own players all the way through the systems.

I think it's unfair lads like Keane and Robinson get all the criticism just because they were good enough to have ambitions to play for England at one stage.

There are lads who've played with us all through the age groups who never had a decision to make because they were never on England's radar.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 2:49pm

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

If Ronan always wanted to stay with Ireland, why did he play for England at all? I seriously doubt he would be playing for Ireland at all if his career had the same trajectory as Grealish or Rice.

I haven't made digs at any players. I referred to the dregs, as in remnants, of players produced in England that are eligible for Ireland. Maybe harsh but true.

I could list hundreds of good players eligible for Ireland who stuck with England. I could list two or three who played for us and maybe could've got two or three caps for them.

If Ronan really wanted to play for England, why has he lined out with Ireland for years? If James McClean really considers himself Irish, why did he line out for NI? Your specious attempts to justify your witch hunt against guys like Ronan works both ways.
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

In fairness to Ronan, above is true. Suspicions lie more with players who play with England up to under 21, then change. At that point they know what way the wind is blowing.

In this article, Ronan says himself that England only showed an interest as soon as he was called up for a RoI U17 squad. He subsequently dropped out of the RoI squad and played friendlies for England.

When asked if England have approached him since, he says they haven't. Note that this is when he was in some of his best form at club level and intl level.

He's played competitively all through the age groups for Ireland and was only selected for friendlies with England. The one time England batted their eyelids at him, he was off. They haven't showed an interest since, coinciding with a period where he had a few tough loan spells.

I agree it's bad optics when someone plays for England all the way up to U21 level and then declares for us but, in fairness to them, they had options which is not something a lot of the Noel King generation of granny rulers had.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 01 Jul 2022 at 3:03pm
KingKenny View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingKenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 3:46pm
Coventry has spent time learning Irish which to me makes him a lot more patriotic than a majority of the people born in Ireland.
BrenC View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrenC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 4:07pm
What’s your view on Obafemi HH?  Only an Irish citizen because he was born in Ireland so he got birthright citizenship.  Moved to England at a young age.  No Irish ancestry. 

Is he taking the place of a young ‘Irish’ player under your biased viewpoints or does him choosing Ireland ahead of other options redeem him in your eyes?  Genuinely curious is it accident of birth, eating Tayto as a young lad or rejecting other countries that makes someone Irish enough in your eyes? 
Team Emmet
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by BrenC BrenC wrote:

What’s your view on Obafemi HH?  Only an Irish citizen because he was born in Ireland so he got birthright citizenship.  Moved to England at a young age.  No Irish ancestry. 

Is he taking the place of a young ‘Irish’ player under your biased viewpoints or does him choosing Ireland ahead of other options redeem him in your eyes?  Genuinely curious is it accident of birth, eating Tayto as a young lad or rejecting other countries that makes someone Irish enough in your eyes? 

Obafemi's situation is certainly more unique than any of the players discussed seeing as he was good enough to hold out for other countries when he tied himself to us, not to mention the circumstances that make him eligible for us.

I'm sure we've had lads play for us whose only connection is having a family member born here to a father serving in the British Army.

Then there's Alan Kernaghan who has admitted that he only played for us because NI wouldn't select him under a gentleman's agreement among the UK countries.

There's also a few lads who've had questionable blood ties to us (Tony Cascarino, Terry Mancini, David McGoldrick). 

And right now we have Callum Robinson playing for us who I believe (open to correction) was not eligible under the rules that were in place when he started playing for us.

So, to answer your question, Obafemi's connection probably isn't the most tenuous seeing as he was born here. 

Dennis Cirkin is eligible under the exact same circumstances and there are still the occasional shouts for him to play for us, despite showing none of the eagerness Obafemi has.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 01 Jul 2022 at 4:22pm
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 4:23pm
But by your own post there HH you’ve conceded just how nebulous a concept nationality is, and it is complicated further by local laws and rules from organisations like UEFA etc.

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 4:37pm
Originally posted by KingKenny KingKenny wrote:

Coventry has spent time learning Irish which to me makes him a lot more patriotic than a majority of the people born in Ireland.

Only has an Irish passport.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by KingKenny KingKenny wrote:

His mother is a Dub too. How dare he though, how dare he. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jul 2022 at 5:19pm
In fairness why would anyone eligible for an Irish passport want a British one these days, they're useless.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 387388389390391 451>
  Share Topic