You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 369370371372373 450>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Something I didn't know until recently was that if you play a competitive underage game after you turned 21, that also ties you to that country. It's why Conor Gallagher cannot play for Ireland now, he played in an U21 game after his 21st birthday, which ties him to England.
I thought that only applied to senior international fixtures?

Yeah, I'm not 100% on this as, and we mentioned this before, the rules talk about "A" Internationals, whatever that means.
Does it mean Seniors, or is U21's also "A"?

In our case, Conor Noss turns 21 this Jan and we have U21 matches after that and he's likely to be still in the squad, so should come clear then.
Sponsored Links

tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Something I didn't know until recently was that if you play a competitive underage game after you turned 21, that also ties you to that country. It's why Conor Gallagher cannot play for Ireland now, he played in an U21 game after his 21st birthday, which ties him to England.
I thought that only applied to senior international fixtures?
Saw it in the 42's newsletter last week

Edited by tetsujin1979 - 22 Sep 2021 at 4:49pm
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 4:17pm
I cant see Fifa's definition of an A International anywhere.

They dont make their rules clear cut or easy to understand, do they?

Heres an interesting one I came across while looking for an answer,

It should be noted that there is an exception underpinned by the principle of legal certainty, whereby the age limit of 21 does not apply to players who played their last match for their old national team prior to September 18, 2020, when the new rules were introduced. This exception explains why Aymeric Laporte, who played for France Under-21s at the age of 21 in 2016.

So IF Obafemi had a Nigerian passport prior to playing for us in 2018, he can still switch to Nigeria at any stage.

..and given that example of Leporte there saying he played for Frances u21s, I'm guessing an A International is regarded as any competitive game at any age level?

Edited by Bandwagon - 22 Sep 2021 at 4:21pm
davekoolhill View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote davekoolhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Originally posted by davekoolhill davekoolhill wrote:

Another know the situation with Darragh Burns for Pats?

Looks an incredible talent at just 19, but he's been with NI in the youth ranks.  

He's a Dub as they come, but not sure what the story is. 

Is his heart with Ireland or NI?

“Darragh is happy. He’s in with the North U17 squad,” says St. Patrick’s Athletic director of football Ger O’Brien.

Darragh Burns initially played for Bohemians U15s before moving to the Inchicore club. At the time, both St. Pats and coaches from the Dublin schoolboys league contacted the FAI about the ability of the technical midfielder and recommended his inclusion. He was not selected.

“His Dad is from Northern Ireland, he just wasn’t getting called up,” O’Brien explains.

Then an invite to link up with the Northern Ireland U17s was extended and accepted.

Days after his impressive involvement with Northern Ireland, Burns was also invited into the Republic of Ireland U17s squad. He made his debut off the bench against Turkey in a friendly at Tallaght Stadium and grabbed a goal and an assist a week later.

In October, he helped Northern Ireland Euro qualify for the Elite Stages, scoring twice against San Marino.

Then a choice had to be made, the player opted to continue with Northern Ireland.

As O'Brien details, there are implications to this.

He played in a UEFA tournament with the North. Once you play a competitive game you can only make one change. Darragh has played a competitive game. He can only make one change now. He can’t go to Ireland now and then go back to the North.

That’s at any level. Look, Darragh is happy. He’s in the North squad. In fairness to Colin O’Brien, he came and met him. I let Colin explain his thinking for his plans for him, Darragh went away and decided he wanted to go North.

That's a real shame about Darragh Burns. Such an exciting footballer who could have been excellent for Ireland in a few years if his career continues to excel.  A real pity his heart isn't with Ireland. 

Twitter: DaveOGrady1
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 5:50pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

...the rules talk about "A" Internationals, whatever that means.
Does it mean Seniors, or is U21's also "A"?

The term 'A' Internationals refers to Senior internationals only i.e. the highest level, not under-age.

It was used to distinguish such matches from the old 'B' Internationals - remember them?

More generally, FIFA have published an Explainer on Eligibility, which takes in the latest amendments to the Rules:
https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/ccab990abf45fcf6/original/ro8mje8vw98yp3rvfbmi-pdf.pdf

Reading that should shorten the winter for ya! Wink
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 10:00pm

That's not quite correct. Playing under 21 after your 21st birthday only ties you if you didn't hold the nationality of the country you want to switch to when you won your first competitive underage cap.

So - Conor Gallagher almost certainly didn't have Irish citizenship when he won his first underage England cap, so playing for their under 21s after his 21st birthday almost certainly ties him to them and he now can't play for us.

However Conor Coventry, being English born, would have had British citizenship when he won his first Irish underage cap. So him playing for our Under 21s after his 21st birthday doesn't tie him to us and he could still theoretically play for England.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 10:05pm

It should be noted that there is an exception underpinned by the principle of legal certainty, whereby the age limit of 21 does not apply to players who played their last match for their old national team prior to September 18, 2020, when the new rules were introduced. This exception explains why Aymeric Laporte, who played for France Under-21s at the age of 21 in 2016.

So IF Obafemi had a Nigerian passport prior to playing for us in 2018, he can still switch to Nigeria at any stage.

..and given that example of Leporte there saying he played for Frances u21s, I'm guessing an A International is regarded as any competitive game at any age level?

This isn't quite correct either.

Firstly, an A international is a senior international, that bit is clear enough.

Also, Obafemi isn't tied to us anyway because he was under 21 when he played for us, so the Laporte thing isn't applicable to him. Even if he didn't have a Nigerian passport back then he could switch to them after November if he wants to, unless we play him before then.

Edited by You Tell Me - 22 Sep 2021 at 10:07pm
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 10:22pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

This isn't quite correct either.

Firstly, an A international is a senior international, that bit is clear enough.

Also, Obafemi isn't tied to us anyway because he was under 21 when he played for us, so the Laporte thing isn't applicable to him. Even if he didn't have a Nigerian passport back then he could switch to them after November if he wants to, unless we play him before then.

The more I look at the rules, the more confused I get. I give up LOL

John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 4:05pm
Any point in Kenny trying to have a word with Nathan Redmond again after this campaign? 27 now and he remains eligible I think?

I'm not a big fan of overly pursuing players who don't appear to have a genuine desire to play for us, but he would surely improve our team and he can play anywhere across the front line. Is it worth one last shot, I know Jamaica are after him also?
Idah Dream!
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 4:09pm
Not eligible according to Kenny, along with Callum O'Hare at Coventry.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by John Nice John Nice wrote:

Any point in Kenny trying to have a word with Nathan Redmond again after this campaign? 27 now and he remains eligible I think?

I'm not a big fan of overly pursuing players who don't appear to have a genuine desire to play for us, but he would surely improve our team and he can play anywhere across the front line. Is it worth one last shot, I know Jamaica are after him also?

No, hes been asked already leave it at that.
John Nice View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Nice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Sep 2021 at 4:17pm
Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Not eligible according to Kenny, along with Callum O'Hare at Coventry.

Fair enough so, clutching at straws really. hard to believe how few players we have in the PL currently. 
Idah Dream!
inlikeflynn View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote inlikeflynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 10:14am
Chris Conn-Clarke - has anyone ever heard of him?

His name doesn't sound particularly Irish, but he is being called the "West Belfast Magician".
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 10:24am
That would be Christopher Seamus Michael Conn Clarke, ex St. Mary's CBS Belfast. So, yes, very much from the nationalist community if that's what you're asking.

Edited by You Tell Me - 01 Oct 2021 at 10:25am
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 12:12pm
Garcia Mcnulty Johansson and Patrick Finn not in the 21s squad! Odd one leaves even more question marks then the senior squad which is saying something!
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

Garcia Mcnulty Johansson and Patrick Finn not in the 21s squad! Odd one leaves even more question marks then the senior squad which is saying something!
Maybe different covid regs there? although Zefi was in the other squad for Cork early October. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 12:40pm
Is McNulty even playing any football this season. Wolfsburg have done away with their reserves so Jake O'Brien would be at least playing reserve football and the other two are playing senior football.

Similar Devoy, Tierney, and Watson are playing senior football. Gilbert is more of a winger so not sure why he's in with the midfielders but he's also playing senior football.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2021 at 4:33pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

That's depressing stuff.  

You'd have to say all things being equal they should be in on merit compared to some of the picks. Maybe it's injury related?  

Odubeko obviously too, as is well-documented.

Under the radar omissions who have the potential to have good careers are Armstrong Okoflex of Tallaght and Deji Sotona of Waterford (ex Man Utd, currently in the senior squad at Nice; his old boss, Patrick Viera tried to sign him for Palace). 

Someone who's commitment is not in doubt - Festy Ebosole from Wexford - was in fine form at the start of the season and has consistently performed will in green right through the underage ranks and in European championships.  Maybe he's injured?  Otherwise, he's only 19, so might be marked for younger age-group.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 369370371372373 450>
  Share Topic