You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363364365366367 450>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:21am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Originally posted by KING-CON KING-CON wrote:

Jude Bellingham according to David Sneyd on second captains. 

Bellingham's dad has an Irish parent so Bellingham would qualify with an Irish grandparent: https://twitter.com/Bello1966/status/1305577712959000576?s=19

Kane, Rice, Bellingham, Grealish, Ampadu and O'Shaughnessy are the 6 I'm sure of.

Reece James I have seen mentioned as someone the FAI were tracking before but I have no idea on the link. I'm not sure if Kalvin Phillips link was ever confirmed either. 

I hadn't been aware of Andrew Robertson or Kieran Tierney but that makes a little sense given that they are Glaswegian and Celtic supporters. I believe that Robertson went to the same school as Aiden McGeady. 

However, there are plenty other Irish sounding names in the Scotland squad. There's McLaughlin, O'Donnell, Hanley, Gallagher, McKenna and McGinn. 

What makes you sure of it?

McLaughlin is a Scottish surname as well BTW, Sheasy.
Sponsored Links

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:22am
Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Hanley is a big Rangers supporter so I doubt he would have been too keen on playing for Ireland. 

Thanks for that but we are discussing if he was "eligible" and not "keen". Matthew Shiels is on the Rangers books and has played underage for Ireland: https://www.donegaldaily.com/2020/09/01/rangers-player-with-donegal-links-goes-out-on-loan/

Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:26am
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Bellingham's dad has an Irish parent so Bellingham would qualify with an Irish grandparent: https://twitter.com/Bello1966/status/1305577712959000576?s=19

Kane, Rice, Bellingham, Grealish, Ampadu and O'Shaughnessy are the 6 I'm sure of.

Reece James I have seen mentioned as someone the FAI were tracking before but I have no idea on the link. I'm not sure if Kalvin Phillips link was ever confirmed either. 

I hadn't been aware of Andrew Robertson or Kieran Tierney but that makes a little sense given that they are Glaswegian and Celtic supporters. I believe that Robertson went to the same school as Aiden McGeady. 

However, there are plenty other Irish sounding names in the Scotland squad. There's McLaughlin, O'Donnell, Hanley, Gallagher, McKenna and McGinn. 

What makes you sure of it?

McLaughlin is a Scottish surname as well BTW, Sheasy.

I said "Irish sounding". There have been plenty McLaughlin's from Ireland and Wikipedia is at odds with you too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McLaughlin_(surname)#:~:text=M(a)cLaughlin%20%2Fm,is%20%22son%20of%20Lochlann%22.

Now, just because Wikipedia disagrees with you too doesn't mean you should accuse it also of being powered by Paul O'Shea. Imagine, someone somewhere other than POSH contradicting you. 

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:29am

Originally posted by longford claret longford claret wrote:

Hanley is a big Rangers supporter so I doubt he would have been too keen on playing for Ireland. 

Thanks for that but we are discussing if he was "eligible" and not "keen". Matthew Shiels is on the Rangers books and has played underage for Ireland: https://www.donegaldaily.com/2020/09/01/rangers-player-with-donegal-links-goes-out-on-loan/

The fact that Hanley supports Rangers would suggest that his Hanley ancestors originate from England, if anything.

http://www.ancestry.com/name-origin?surname=hanley&geo_a=r&geo_s=us&geo_t=us&geo_v=2.0.0&o_xid=62916&o_lid=62916&o_sch=Partners

Read a book sometime and stop believing everything Wikipedia tells you.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 10 Jun 2021 at 10:31am
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 5:09pm

Kalvin Phillips definitely qualifies. His mother confirmed it before he made the England squad.

I think there's more being made of this in this tournament, it was always common enough. The likes of Kevin Keegan, Martin Keown, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney etc etc all qualified for Ireland to name but a few. Think it's five in this England squad, Rice, Grealish, Kane, Phillips and Bellingham 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 7:50pm

Yes, St Ninian's. More Irish supporting kids than Scotland supporting kids in that school I'd say. Excellent school as well.

Robertson has a grandparent from Leitrim. John McGinn has an Irish grandparent as well, from Donegal I think. What an addition those two would have been to our team. Not sure about Tierney, Irish sounding name but originally from the Isle of Man. Wouldn't be surprised if Declan Gallagher qualified but I'm not sure he'd even make our squad anyway, never mind our team, given he's an SPL standard centre back.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Yes, St Ninian's. More Irish supporting kids than Scotland supporting kids in that school I'd say. Excellent school as well.

Robertson has a grandparent from Leitrim. John McGinn has an Irish grandparent as well, from Donegal I think. What an addition those two would have been to our team. Not sure about Tierney, Irish sounding name but originally from the Isle of Man. Wouldn't be surprised if Declan Gallagher qualified but I'm not sure he'd even make our squad anyway, never mind our team, given he's an SPL standard centre back.

Cheers for that. Andrew Robertson+Ireland gave me no hits prior to your post but Andrew Robertson+Leitrim was fruitful! https://www.oceanfm.ie/2019/06/02/liverpools-champions-league-winner-has-glenfarne-family-connections/

McGinn's paternal grandfather was a Celtic chairman so he definitely has close ties to the club too. A Donegal connection would make sense. 
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 10:10pm
what is Bellingham’s link? Grandparent I presume 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 11:20pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

what is Bellingham’s link? Grandparent I presume 

His Dad described himself as half Irish in the tweet posted above so grandparent, yeah.

Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 4:39am
Stephen O'Donnell was eligible for YBIG. His dad is Irish.

I've heard that Steve Clarke had an Irish grandparent but I have no source to back it up.

A mate of mine told me a while back that Jermaine Defoe had Irish connections. Is that true or was my mate thinking of someone else ?

Wouldn't be surprised if Declan Gallagher qualified but I'm not sure he'd even make our squad anyway, never mind our team, given he's an SPL standard centre back.

My next door neighbour is a pupil support at St Ninians. Sorry to disappoint you but most of the kids are all wearing Scotland or Poland (big local expatriate community) shirts to PE in recent weeks and some teachers are putting up saltires in the classrooms to big cheers from the kids. Times have changed.

For "an SPL standard centre back" Declan Gallagher has been superb for us. He's one of my favourite players. We've only lost once when he's been on the pitch, defends like his life depends on it and fights for everything. He's done well to turn his life around after a spell in prison a few years ago.
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 5:59am
Regarding Clarke, I know he suffered sectarian abuse from Rangers supporters. Not evidence to support that he might have an Irish grandparent but would line up a bit with that. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 7:45am
Originally posted by ErsatzThistle ErsatzThistle wrote:

Stephen O'Donnell was eligible for YBIG. His dad is Irish.

I've heard that Steve Clarke had an Irish grandparent but I have no source to back it up.

A mate of mine told me a while back that Jermaine Defoe had Irish connections. Is that true or was my mate thinking of someone else ?

Wouldn't be surprised if Declan Gallagher qualified but I'm not sure he'd even make our squad anyway, never mind our team, given he's an SPL standard centre back.

My next door neighbour is a pupil support at St Ninians. Sorry to disappoint you but most of the kids are all wearing Scotland or Poland (big local expatriate community) shirts to PE in recent weeks and some teachers are putting up saltires in the classrooms to big cheers from the kids. Times have changed.

For "an SPL standard centre back" Declan Gallagher has been superb for us. He's one of my favourite players. We've only lost once when he's been on the pitch, defends like his life depends on it and fights for everything. He's done well to turn his life around after a spell in prison a few years ago.

That's to be expected given Scotland and Poland are at the Euros this time. Longer term I wouldn't be so sure though. When things rebalance in a few years and Scotland go back to being sh*te they'll rediscover their roots quick enough. Well, not the Polish kids obviously! In fact, if anything, it will be getting even more Irish (and Polish) in the next few years with the new admission rules.

Can't agree with you on Gallagher either. I have read a number of articles about his "journey" and how he has "turned his life around". Still waiting to see one where he shows any remorse towards his victim for what he did. Beat a guy half to death and tried everything to get out of serving his sentence. Still seems completely unremorseful, it's always all about him. Lowest of the low for me, I wouldn't want him anywhere near my national team squad.

Best of luck in the Euros and I hope you finally break your group stage duck, but I'm also hoping Gallagher doesn't get a minute of game time.

Edited by You Tell Me - 11 Jun 2021 at 8:03am
Boondock View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boondock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:23am
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by Boondock Boondock wrote:

if only

I don't think Wilson and Flanagan qualify...
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 2:19pm
Where is Philips mother from?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 2:29pm

Originally posted by Boondock Boondock wrote:

if only

I don't think Wilson and Flanagan qualify...

A pretty poor effort at this list, Maguire, Flanagan, Wilson don’t qualify. McCarthy doubtful.

The historical list is much more interesting: Jimmy Greaves, Martin Keown, Gazza, Rio Ferdinand, Wayne Rooney, Trevor Sinclair, Paul Scholes, Stephen Gerrard...
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 2:41pm
Jimmy Greaves ? 
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 3:52pm
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 363364365366367 450>
  Share Topic