You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 354355356357358 450>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 2:59pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

he’s injured 

He is fit to play Friday
Sponsored Links

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 12:07pm
Liam Delap not in the England U21 or U19 squads
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

He's with the under 18's. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Bollocks! Their u19 squad is absurdly good in fairness
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 12:36pm

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

Bollocks! Their u19 squad is absurdly good in fairness

To be fair to them all their underage squads are good at the moment they all won’t make it to the senior team and dual nationals might end up with other senior teams as a result 
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 12:53pm
That England’s U21 squad would qualify for the Euros id have absolutely no doubt of that and they would also get close to the World Cup. It’s a frightening squad. Definitely a benefit to us in so far the likes of Hodge Smallbone etc won’t be looking at England thinking il be playing for them let’s dump Ireland. 

Also hopefully the likes of Delap might go under the radar a bit and decide to look at us. 

Che Adams declaring for Scotland for obvious reasons would be testament to that a decent attacker and the sort we might pick up through that backlog.

Edited by kevin100 - 19 Mar 2021 at 12:53pm
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by kevin100 kevin100 wrote:

That England’s U21 squad would qualify for the Euros id have absolutely no doubt of that and they would also get close to the World Cup. It’s a frightening squad. Definitely a benefit to us in so far the likes of Hodge Smallbone etc won’t be looking at England thinking il be playing for them let’s dump Ireland. 

Also hopefully the likes of Delap might go under the radar a bit and decide to look at us. 

Che Adams declaring for Scotland for obvious reasons would be testament to that a decent attacker and the sort we might pick up through that backlog.

Is that what we've resorted to?

I mean for the first time in years, we are actually producing very talented young players and have also fallen in for some good young dual eligible players born in the UK, Germany, Spain etc.

Why is there still this desire to try and snare cast offs who will only declare for us when they know they're too old to play for England's underage sides and see us as a booby prize?

I mean f**king hell, Che Adams, he rejected Scotland twice before deciding to jump ship because they've finally qualified for a tournament.

Ireland have a really good underage National League structure in place currently, we've some very talented underage International sides with some great coaches guiding them. 

Priority should be focusing on developing our own or at least those dual eligible players who want to play with us when they're young and pick us the first time of asking.

Edited by Green Devil - 19 Mar 2021 at 1:08pm
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

I mean for the first time in years, we are actually producing very talented young players and have also fallen in for some good young dual eligible players born in the UK, Germany, Spain etc.

Why is there still this desire to try and snare cast offs who will only declare for us when they know they're too old to play for England's underage sides and see us as a booby prize?

I mean f**king hell, Che Adams, he rejected Scotland twice before deciding to jump ship because they've finally qualified for a tournament.

Ireland have a really good underage National League structure in place currently, we've some very talented underage International sides with some great coaches guiding them. 

Priority should be focusing on developing our own or at least those dual eligible players who want to play with us when they're young players and pick us the first time of asking.
We have an underage league at the moment but it far from good.
And I’m sure there is good players in it and it will
probably become stronger over the next few seasons due to Brxit.

But our playing population is small and if we can add to this by picking up dual nationals from better underage set ups and would strengthen our position.
We would be off our head to say no.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 1:14pm

Priority should be focusing on developing our own or at least those dual eligible players who want to play with us when they're young players and pick us the first time of asking.

No I agree with the sentiment sorry if that wasn’t clear. One of the big positives of the U21 squad/younger crops is the depth we are producing but also the home grown depth. That should be 70-80% of our produce. 

Look at our good teams over the years they always had “granny rulers” as we have called them. If a player the calibre of Che Adam’s or Bamford decided to declare and he’s eligible then that supplements what we have. It is of benefit to us and we wouldn’t we use it. 

Even from an underage perspective Louis Watson playing for us is a lovely recruit despite him playing for England underage.
If we get to the day where we can tell a Che Adam’s to f**k off if he decides to do a U turn then I’d gladly agree hopefully we do. 

Problem is your entirely correct the FAI have used it to paper over the cracks Noel King calling up 21 year old non League players with tenous links as opposed to talented 18yo at big clubs etc. They have used it as a crutch to paper over the lack of youth being developed here. It needs to be a supplement.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by Fruice Fruice wrote:

But our playing population is small and if we can add to this by picking up dual nationals from better underage set ups and would strengthen our position.

I disagree wholeheartedly as someone who's involved in it,

The level of professionalism running right though most of these underage LOI sides is top notch and the standard is slowly but surely getting better each year.

I'm not against Ireland picking up dual eligible players at all, my point is that there needs to be some level of pride involved.

You ask a player once and that's it or better still they actually make the FAI aware and make the first move themselves, brilliant.  
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 1:29pm

The level of professionalism running right though most of these underage LOI sides is top notch and the standard is slowly but surely getting better each year.

I'm not against Ireland picking up dual eligible players at all, my point is that there needs to be some level of pride involved.

You ask a player once and that's it or better still they actually make the FAI aware and make the first move themselves, brilliant.  

I don’t doubt that teams in the league are good and are being set up very well with the funds available to them.
But the fact it operates at every second year is a disaster and that it doesn’t follow the corresponding schoolboys age group is far from ideal.
And thus the playing pool is smaller than it should be.
We won’t have the large exodus to England that we have previously so we need our own set up to be the best it can be
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 1:31pm

No I agree with the sentiment sorry if that wasn’t clear. One of the big positives of the U21 squad/younger crops is the depth we are producing but also the home grown depth. That should be 70-80% of our produce. 

Look at our good teams over the years they always had “granny rulers” as we have called them. If a player the calibre of Che Adam’s or Bamford decided to declare and he’s eligible then that supplements what we have. It is of benefit to us and we wouldn’t we use it. 

Even from an underage perspective Louis Watson playing for us is a lovely recruit despite him playing for England underage.
If we get to the day where we can tell a Che Adam’s to f**k off if he decides to do a U turn then I’d gladly agree hopefully we do. 

Problem is your entirely correct the FAI have used it to paper over the cracks Noel King calling up 21 year old non League players with tenous links as opposed to talented 18yo at big clubs etc. They have used it as a crutch to paper over the lack of youth being developed here. It needs to be a supplement.

Oh yeah like I've no problem if a player jumps ships from England to Ireland especially at a young age.

My main gripe would be seeing us chase players in their mid to late 20s who have rejected us previously, then only deciding when the door to play for England has shut that they may as well chance their arm with Ireland.

If for argument sake some player from Brentford had never played for England or Ireland underage before and was doing very well, he was approached and said yes first time of asking by all means "but" it's the likes of a Che Adam's who rejected Scotland two or three times before that we need to avoid.

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 1:34pm

I don’t doubt that teams in the league are good and are being set up very well with the funds available to them.
But the fact it operates at every second year is a disaster and that it doesn’t follow the corresponding schoolboys age group is far from ideal.
We won’t have the large exodus to England that we have previously so we need our own set up to be the best it can be

Small bit of good news on that front (don't quote me on it) but seemingly The Kennedy Cup is going back to u13's next year so ETP programmes will stop at u13 level.

LOI Underage as it stands is at u14, u15, u17, u19.

There's talk that u16s and potentially an u20/u21 league being added in the next year or two.

Fruice View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fruice Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 1:45pm

Small bit of good news on that front (don't quote me on it) but seemingly The Kennedy Cup is going back to u13's next year so ETP programmes will stop at u13 level.

LOI Underage as it stands is at u14, u15, u17, u19.

There's talk that u16s and potentially an u20/u21 league being added in the next year or two.
Ultimately to give these players the best chance to progress especially with England gone these players should be with the LOI Clubs every year from u 12 and move with the schoolboys age groups all the way up you can’t be sending guys back to their club side for a year and hindering their development.

The Kennedy cup is fly in the ointment as it is undoubtedly a great competition but it’s in the way of player development overall let these young lads in the one set up all the way through.

And let the schoolboys leagues use the best of the rest in the Kennedy cup
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 6:04pm

That is evident by even the homegrown talent that’s on display form the 1999 crop up. Problem is it may take 4/5/6 years for them to learn their trade hit their peak and for our national team to start reaping the benefits and patience is needed especially around the young attackers no good pinning our lack of attackers on them.

I agree with the pride thing but if Che Adam’s decided to declare for us would you turn him down now? We did get players like Alderidge Houghton Townsend that arrived late. They might have only declared when we were the best option it doesn’t stop them from being legends. 

I hope we get to the stage we can look at a Che Adam and go yup that’s great but we have 3/4 attackers at your level or better that are our first preference I mean that genuinely in that our development of home grown youth back in motion we might get to that stage.

Edited by kevin100 - 19 Mar 2021 at 6:06pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 7:16pm
There is a huge difference between calling up a player who had never played for another nation before (Townsend and Aldridge) and a player who refused to accept a call up, not once but twice (Che Adams) and then jumping ship when he knows it's impossible to play for England.

It's also not about "getting to a stage where we can look past a Che Adam's" either. What sort of message does that send out to the young players in Scotland? The sole reason he's playing for Scotland is because they qualified for the Euro's, it's embarrassing.

Again, our priority should be developing our own and not waiting in the long grass for England's casts off.

Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 7:31pm
The image of Noel King waiting in long grass is a good one
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 10:05pm
Will we have another Rice/Grealish saga or have we learnt from it and ask the serious questions to get players to declare for us and stay declared ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 354355356357358 450>
  Share Topic