You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 347348349350351 450>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 12:44pm
Bit of a headache, that document, but I supposed Johansson would fit this scenario:

b) the player:
i) was fielded in a match in an official competition at any level (with the exception of “A” international level) in any kind of football for his current association;
ii) at the time of being fielded for his first match in an official competition in any kind of football for his current association, he did not hold the nationality of the association which he wishes to represent.

iii) at the time of being fielded for his last match in an official competition in any kind of football for his current association, he had not turned 21 years old; and
iv) meets any of the requirements provided in article 6 or article 7.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 2:30pm
Correct. Played at underage, not senior; wasn't an Irish citizen; hasn't played for Lux after his 21st birthday (he's 20); grandparent born in Ireland.

So he now qualifies for us.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 2:41pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Having said all that, while he does appear to be eligible under the new rules, he also needs to actually want to declare for us. It sounded from the interview he gave that he was still open to all three countries at this point. He probably needs to make that decision first of all.

And with the U21's comp starting in March, you'd think a young lad would want to look to be featuring in one of the squads if they'd have him.  To hear him say he hasn't thought about it since moving to Spain seems odd after the lengths he went to beforehand to declare for us.

I'm not suggesting he'd get into our U21 squad at this stage but he's just turned 20 so will have (if I am correct) one more U21s campaign in him but after that, it's senior caps or no caps so I'd not be hanging around.
geansaí View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geansaí Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 2:56pm
There is potentially an element of him waiting to see how his career progresses.
For example if he is in fact eligible for us and he played a couple of u21 games now, he may never get to senior level if his career doesn't develop and he would have lost any chance of playing for Luxembourg.

Why make a decision now at underage level when the senior game is the goal

Edited by geansaí - 27 Feb 2021 at 2:57pm
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 3:37pm

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/gv5axxtvu2aydszqfiw6.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj7tJ3C7InvAhWRN8AKHWByBfgQFjAAegQIBBAD&usg=AOvVaw37R-gW2wJTvHJkziJ58jfT

This is the relevant document. Johansson now qualifies under Article 9, Section 2, Subsection b.

With regard to the additional requirements set out in part iv of subsection b, he qualifies under Article 7, Section 1, Subsection c (grandparent born in Ireland).

I realise that's a very technical answer written in legalese, but that's the answer.
Thanks very much, that’s exactly what I was looking for. 

That is one hot mess of a document though. Sect. 9.2 A refers to having to hold nationality at the time of the youth cap and then sect 9.2 B refers to not holding nationality at that time. Rendering Sect. 9.2.A meaningless, so why even leave it in there. 

Would suggest then that Auro jr will actually be eligible for Canada if he gets citizenship then too. 

Edited by IrishCanadian - 27 Feb 2021 at 3:38pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/gv5axxtvu2aydszqfiw6.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwj7tJ3C7InvAhWRN8AKHWByBfgQFjAAegQIBBAD&usg=AOvVaw37R-gW2wJTvHJkziJ58jfT

This is the relevant document. Johansson now qualifies under Article 9, Section 2, Subsection b.

With regard to the additional requirements set out in part iv of subsection b, he qualifies under Article 7, Section 1, Subsection c (grandparent born in Ireland).

I realise that's a very technical answer written in legalese, but that's the answer.
Thanks very much, that’s exactly what I was looking for. 

That is one hot mess of a document though. Sect. 9.2 A refers to having to hold nationality at the time of the youth cap and then sect 9.2 B refers to not holding nationality at that time. Rendering Sect. 9.2.A meaningless, so why even leave it in there. 

Would suggest then that Auro jr will actually be eligible for Canada if he gets citizenship then too. 

It’s not very clear, but I think section A refers to internationals who have played an A or full international 

Section d opens some interesting doors for naturalization. If you lose citizenship for a country because of govt action, I suppose you can play for any other country that will give you citizenship. I wonder if that includes countries that don’t permit dual nationality (like Japan, for instance).
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 4:21pm
Originally posted by Fozz Fozz wrote:

Having said all that, while he does appear to be eligible under the new rules, he also needs to actually want to declare for us. It sounded from the interview he gave that he was still open to all three countries at this point. He probably needs to make that decision first of all.

And with the U21's comp starting in March, you'd think a young lad would want to look to be featuring in one of the squads if they'd have him.  To hear him say he hasn't thought about it since moving to Spain seems odd after the lengths he went to beforehand to declare for us.

I'm not suggesting he'd get into our U21 squad at this stage but he's just turned 20 so will have (if I am correct) one more U21s campaign in him but after that, it's senior caps or no caps so I'd not be hanging around.
This campaign will be Johansson's last one at underage level. Interestingly all three of his countries are in the same qualifying group.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 8:02pm
If I was the lad I would back off international football too. or at least talking about it to press. It has been a huge distraction for him during the most important phase of his career in terms of development. 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 9:23am
https://twitter.com/chrisbowerbank/status/1367086193939271683

Supposedly Nathan Redmond is on a list of players looking to switch to Jamaica, If true Why we aren't busting a gut to get him to declare for us is beyond me
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 9:24am
Cant believe he is only 26. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 9:44am
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Cant believe he is only 26. 

Yeah, he's one of those players you just assume is about 30-32 given how long he's been around
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:05am
If it has not been said on here before, according to Wikipedia (definitely true) Anthony Gordon who's on loan from Everton at Preston qualifies for us and Scotland through the Granny rule.  Well thought of at Everton and signed a 5 year deal last season.  

Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
wexfordman1 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wexfordman1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 10:27am
Does look a good player no doubt about it would be a a great player for Ireland don't know if he ever be good enough to be a starter for England with the attacking players they have now
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 11:27am
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Supposedly Nathan Redmond is on a list of players looking to switch to Jamaica, If true Why we aren't busting a gut to get him to declare for us is beyond me
I work with his uncle. I will see what he says.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Is his uncle any good?
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Is his uncle any good?
I don't think he is eligible.
Birdcracker View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Birdcracker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 12:34pm
Originally posted by savo01 savo01 wrote:

If it has not been said on here before, according to Wikipedia (definitely true) Anthony Gordon who's on loan from Everton at Preston qualifies for us and Scotland through the Granny rule.  Well thought of at Everton and signed a 5 year deal last season.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Gordon_ - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthony_Gordon_(footballer) 
Yes we should follow up on Anthony Gordon 100%. He is a class young player. What connection has he to us do you know? 
belt View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
Fantasy Football Champion 17/18

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote belt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2021 at 1:24pm

26?? I'd have said 30/31

Probably a stronger chance of qualifying for a WC with Jamaica than us if they get all them lads on board to be be fair
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 347348349350351 450>
  Share Topic