You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 450>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Are you sure he isn't really a full back?

he could be the next Gary Doc, play centre half and centre forward Big smile
Sponsored Links

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

It would delay and complicate the issue if he did intend to represent someone else. I don't know what his preference is, merely that he is apparently not interested in representing Ireland at this point or else he would have done so in the last three years wouldn't he unless you are still backing the far fetched 'not good enough to ever get in our squad' line of reasoning which is stretching reality even within your limited green blinkered perception of it LOL LOL

Explain how it would "delay and complicate" the process to represent Ireland now when he has already represented Ireland in the past? 

And what does "interest" have to do with it? Sotona could be as "interested" in representing Ireland as anyone else, but at the end of the day he doesn't pick the squads. More spurious reasoning.
It would delay and complicate him playing for another nation subsequently if he was capped by Ireland. So he's not got picked in the underage squads once in three years because our strength in depth is so  much it means a highly rated and talented Manchester United youth team player cannot get a look ahead of even players that couldn't get a club in England and at the risk of losing him to another nation also. That's the argument you are sticking to right just so I'm clear? I'm amazed a player rated so lowly has been mentioned so many times on this forum and that any club in a serious league would be so keen to sign him now. Ermm
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 2:53pm

Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

Why would you admit you're wrong when you're not not wrong? What a nonsense comment.

Well he hasn’t played the vast majority of his football as a striker so you are wrong.

Except he has, so I am not. I called Sotona a striker, he has played much of his football as a striker. I'm not seeing much issue here other than the usual suspects being catty about whatever I post.

Think you need to google the meaning of “vast majority” bud.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 3:18pm

It would delay and complicate the issue if he did intend to represent someone else. I don't know what his preference is, merely that he is apparently not interested in representing Ireland at this point or else he would have done so in the last three years wouldn't he unless you are still backing the far fetched 'not good enough to ever get in our squad' line of reasoning which is stretching reality even within your limited green blinkered perception of it LOL LOL

Explain how it would "delay and complicate" the process to represent Ireland now when he has already represented Ireland in the past? 

And what does "interest" have to do with it? Sotona could be as "interested" in representing Ireland as anyone else, but at the end of the day he doesn't pick the squads. More spurious reasoning.
It would delay and complicate him playing for another nation subsequently if he was capped by Ireland. So he's not got picked in the underage squads once in three years because our strength in depth is so  much it means a highly rated and talented Manchester United youth team player cannot get a look ahead of even players that couldn't get a club in England and at the risk of losing him to another nation also. That's the argument you are sticking to right just so I'm clear? I'm amazed a player rated so lowly has been mentioned so many times on this forum and that any club in a serious league would be so keen to sign him now. Ermm

He would hardly be the first player we've had playing for a big club that has been scarcely involved at underage level, would he? I don't recall any mass hysteria surrounding Ryan Nolan potentially declaring for Spain/Italy when he was being frequently overlooked.

Kayode is however a fitting comparison; widely questioned due his lack of underage involvement with us, but lo-and-behold he's just been named in the U-21 squad.

Basically what I'm asking is that you provide one piece of evidence to support your position that is not hearsay based on the fact he's of Nigerian heritage? I would wager you'll be unable to do that.

Edited by The O'Shea - 02 Oct 2020 at 3:19pm
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 3:38pm

He would hardly be the first player we've had playing for a big club that has been scarcely involved at underage level, would he? I don't recall any mass hysteria surrounding Ryan Nolan potentially declaring for Spain/Italy when he was being frequently overlooked.

Kayode is however a fitting comparison; widely questioned due his lack of underage involvement with us, but lo-and-behold he's just been named in the U-21 squad.

Basically what I'm asking is that you provide one piece of evidence to support your position that is not hearsay based on the fact he's of Nigerian heritage? I would wager you'll be unable to do that.
Sometimes, quite often indeed, in life you have to rely on logic and reason and what is blindingly obvious where definitive written prove is not in existence . No Irish player playing in the youth teams of one of the top English clubs, let alone a highly rated prospect, has ever been left out persistently through Ireland age group teams. The chances of him simply not being considered worth a place in any of the squads are something like 0.1 %. Only the most stubborn and blinkered individual living in a world of perpetual chronic insecurity and denial of reality would believe that to be the case .......welcome to the world of the O'shea!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 4:34pm
So in other words, you're basically acknowledging that your standpoint is based in nothing more than an innate distrust of foreign-ancestry players. Fair enough, that's what I thought.
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 7:01pm

So in other words, you're basically acknowledging that your standpoint is based in nothing more than an innate distrust of foreign-ancestry players. Fair enough, that's what I thought.
In completely other words of your own invention maybe. 
Nope just my basic intelligence and sense of reason ruling over a neurotic insecurity over my sense of national identity an an autistic level unwillingness to confront reality under any circumstances. I think that puts me in a better place to view the world. I understand though that to face up to that one day your entire world would fall apart.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 7:37pm

In completely other words of your own invention maybe. 
Nope just my basic intelligence and sense of reason ruling over a neurotic insecurity over my sense of national identity an an autistic level unwillingness to confront reality under any circumstances. I think that puts me in a better place to view the world. I understand though that to face up to that one day your entire world would fall apart.

How is it neurotic or insecure to ask you to provide evidence for your claims? The only person displaying paranoia and neurosis is the one claiming that simply by virtue of not being called up in a couple of years, a young dual nationality player clearly has no interest in playing for us and is gunning for an England/Nigeria call up that he has given no indication he wants! Like would you listen to yourself, you are literally the definition of a neurotic, insecure individual; seeing things that just aren't there and convincing yourself they must be true LOL

Edited by The O'Shea - 02 Oct 2020 at 7:38pm
We're decent enough..
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 8:07pm
I never said he was gunning for an England  or Nigeria call up, that's you projecting your insecurities again.  What he has shown is a total disinterest in playing for Ireland at any point since 2017 and as he coincidentally happens to be eligible for one if not two other nations you can draw your own conclusions but its an obvious inference.  Maybe he just has a massive aversion to travelling to setting foot in Dublin though and who could blame him? A lot more believable than the not good enough for Ireland 1992 age group consideration angle you are pushing.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 8:38pm

I never said he was gunning for an England  or Nigeria call up, that's you projecting your insecurities again.  What he has shown is a total disinterest in playing for Ireland at any point since 2017 and as he coincidentally happens to be eligible for one if not two other nations you can draw your own conclusions but its an obvious inference.  Maybe he just has a massive aversion to travelling to setting foot in Dublin though and who could blame him? A lot more believable than the not good enough for Ireland 1992 age group consideration angle you are pushing.

Insecure about what exactly? I'm not the one questioning an Irish persons commitment to playing international football for Ireland based solely on the fact their parents are Nigerian? That is all you. I'm casting no aspertions whatsoever, because the reality is that neither of us have an inside track, we can only interpret the evidence in front of us and you are drawing a conclusion based on no evidence at all.

You're literally projecting your own biases, distrust, and paranoia onto me and acting like I'm the one making things up. It's absolutely tragic tbh LOL
We're decent enough..
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 8:57pm
provide evidence for the "total disinterest" please.
IrishKeano View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishKeano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 9:27pm
Jesus Christ!!! Will you cop on and just ignore people, every thread is hijacked by you arguing with people,you have the forum ruined for everybody! .
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 1:36am
Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Artifact A would be the failure to present himself for international representation since Under-15 level when there are a dozen more squad call ups for his age group which he is mysteriously missing from. So either FAI are not interested in him, considering themselves to have better options available than Man United's top talent in his age group  and not caring the least for his entitlement to pursue other national directions,  or he is not interested in them. Which do you think is more likely on the basis of probability?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 1:54am

Originally posted by Eoink21 Eoink21 wrote:

Artifact A would be the failure to present himself for international representation since Under-15 level when there are a dozen more squad call ups for his age group which he is mysteriously missing from. So either FAI are not interested in him, considering themselves to have better options available than Man United's top talent in his age group  and not caring the least for his entitlement to pursue other national directions,  or he is not interested in them. Which do you think is more likely on the basis of probability?

Firstly, he was selected for us at U-16, not U-15. Secondly, you can't present yourself if you aren't selected? Paranoia personified LOL

Edited by The O'Shea - 03 Oct 2020 at 1:59am
We're decent enough..
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 1:28pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I don't think it's a skin colour issue to be fair. The same would apply to players with family connections to Poland, Lithuania, Latvia or anywhere else. It's just that the Irish Nigerian community is producing a ridiculously high number of talented young footballers at the moment so the concern keeps coming up in relation to those players.

Of course it doesn't have anything to do with skin colour. That's just a red herring. It would make as much sense for me to say that Darren Randolph had to fight way harder to win over a minority of Irish supporters because of the colour of his skin and stereotypes about black goalkeepers; that some fans had an unconscious bias that contributed to persistent nitpicking over his performances despite the fact that 9 times out of 10 he's one of our better players. It took Keiren Westwood and Rob Elliot playing about a dozen times between them over the last 12 months and training with their club's kids for the weird cries to drop Randolph to finally subside.

There are complete and utter headbangers on this forum [everyone knows who they are] who like to lay claim on certain footballers nationalities. An example of this is CJ Hamilton, a 25 year old who has played his entire career up until a few weeks ago at at League 2 level or lower. As far as anyone is aware he has no Irish heritage, he certainly hasn't declared for Ireland. This hasn't stopped our resident headbangers from bringing his name up in threads like the "Irish Player Transfers" one, on the basis of nothing other than him playing for a GAA team when he lived briefly in Ireland a few years ago.

Meanwhile Deji Sotona, who carries Irish AND Nigerian citizenship, and is also eligible for England, is "Irish as Joe Dolan" and if anyone says anything else they are a racist. This despite the fact as, Irish people should well know, identity is a deeply personal thing if you have two parents of Nigerian/Polish/Lithuanian/Chinese heritage - as I've already explained anecdotally, I know of lads of African descent who alternatively identify as Nigerian/Irish/both.

Sotona has been described as eligible for Nigeria, England and Ireland in almost every article I've read about the lad. Now, unless the media has completely fabricated his eligibility for England [possible, but unlikely], the player's agency must have volunteered this information themselves. The alternative is that they pulled the information out of thin air or got it by osmosis.

Of course to the aforementioned headbangers on this forum, stuff like this only happens when it suits their narrative. Declan Rice and Jack Grealish are as Irish as Brendan Behan or Seamus Heaney until which point they declare for England when suddenly the narrative shifts to "agents/FA/marketing staff/Tim Sherwood" put them under pressure to declare for evil, manipulative England.

TL; DR

Sotona hasn't played for Ireland in two-and-a-half years; eligible for more than one country; don't claim people as Irish when you know nothing about their personal circumstances

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 03 Oct 2020 at 1:29pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 1:38pm
You're just making things up now. No one has "laid claim" to anyone, that's just your own agenda speaking. Players like Hamilton have been mentioned as eligible for Ireland because they are eligible for Ireland (not just through residency either, I think it has been mentioned that his mother is Irish), nothing more. Why exactly that gets up your nose so much I don't know. Clearly it's just another of your many psychological quirks.
We're decent enough..
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 1:42pm

You're just making things up now. No one has "laid claim" to anyone, that's just your own agenda speaking. Players like Hamilton have been mentioned as eligible for Ireland because they are eligible for Ireland (not just through residency either, I think it has been mentioned that his mother is Irish), nothing more. Why exactly that gets up your nose so much I don't know. Clearly it's just another of your many psychological quirks.

He's an English footballer who hasn't declared for Ireland. His name being brought up in the "Irish Player Transfers" thread is much more peculiar than Deji Sotona's name being brought up in the "Eligible Players" thread. You just admitted you "think" his mother is Irish FFS.

I don't make things up. That's your gimmick. You fabricated something I never said in the Connor Ronan thread. Not sure why you're allowed to get away with it, but no skin off my nose.

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 03 Oct 2020 at 1:43pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

He's an English footballer who hasn't declared for Ireland. His name being brought up in the "Irish Player Transfers" thread is much more peculiar than Deji Sotona's name being brought up in the "Eligible Players" thread. You just admitted you "think" his mother is Irish FFS.

I don't make things up. That's your gimmick. You fabricated something I never said in the Connor Ronan thread. Not sure why you're allowed to get away with it, but no skin off my nose.

You are literally deranged, I've never come across someone with such a pathological hatred of innocuous things. I'll leave it there for everyone else's sake.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 450>
  Share Topic