You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 321322323324325 450>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Deji Sotona has signed for Nice.

Does he warrant being in this thread? Born in Waterford and brought up in Mullingar. As Irish as Joe Dolan. Not only is he eligible, he is actually Irish
Sponsored Links

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 6:27pm
some user name that 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

some user name that 
Muff's nemesis. 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by DublinScouse1916 DublinScouse1916 wrote:

Does he warrant being in this thread? Born in Waterford and brought up in Mullingar. As Irish as Joe Dolan. Not only is he eligible, he is actually Irish

Every article I've read about him mentions that he's eligible for England and Nigeria.
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 6:39pm
Nice one, Deji.

Edited by Green Cockade - 30 Sep 2020 at 6:39pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 6:39pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Nice one, Deji.
Half right.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 7:07pm

Agreed, although he seems to not have been played much for us underage. That may be his choice, or it may be to do with citizenship situation. Either way, I would rather he was playing for us.

Interesting to note that he’s going into Viera’s group so presumably aiming for first team already 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 7:15pm
Just speaking from my own experiences, but people with African, Polish or Lithuanian parents may take umbrage with being called Irish as if they don't have a choice in the matter themselves.

The lad has Irish citizenship and Nigerian citizenship. He's eligible for England. He hasn't played International football in two and a half years.

I wasn't trying to cause offense by putting the post in here, it didn't even cross my mind, but by all means, if it stops people frothing at the mouth I can move the post somewhere else if I'm told to.

Thumbs Up

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 7:23pm

Just speaking from my own experiences, but people with African, Polish or Lithuanian parents may take umbrage with being called Irish as if they don't have a choice in the matter themselves.

The lad has Irish citizenship and Nigerian citizenship. He's eligible for England. He hasn't played International football in two and a half years.

I wasn't trying to cause offense by putting the post in here, it didn't even cross my mind, but by all means, if it stops people frothing at the mouth I can move the post somewhere else if I'm told to.

Thumbs Up

A fine point, well made! Especially as 'DublinScouse' must qualify for at least two nations.
DublinScouse1916 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DublinScouse1916 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Thumbs Up

A fine point, well made! Especially as 'DublinScouse' must qualify for at least two nations.

I do actually. Clue might be in the name. 

Edited by DublinScouse1916 - 30 Sep 2020 at 7:40pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:03pm

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Thumbs Up

I do actually. Clue might be in the name. 
Ffs!LOL
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:26pm

Thumbs Up

Your still a novice at this eligibility stuff. Any uncertainty, run it by O’Shea before posting!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:48pm
Someone better fill Dennis Cirkin in then, he seems to be unaware of how it works!
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 8:50pm
As for Johansson, it was reported last January that he had declared for Sweden and the player himself was quoted in the 'Luxemburger Wort' newspaper in July stating that he had received his Swedish passport and that it was the “right decision”.

First time I've seen a quote directly attributed to Johansson about this.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 9:22pm
The article suggests that the FAI haven't closed the door on Johansson though. Having a Swedish passport is one thing but what matters is whether he has formally transferred from Luxembourg to Sweden through FIFA. If he hasn't he's eligible for us at this point.
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 3:55am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

The article suggests that the FAI haven't closed the door on Johansson though. Having a Swedish passport is one thing but what matters is whether he has formally transferred from Luxembourg to Sweden through FIFA. If he hasn't he's eligible for us at this point.

I think he still has a case with all the confusion and rule changing if his heart was set on Ireland as has been said. I thought it was his agent who said it was the right decson a while back and it is hard for the player to say anything other than it is the right decision when he is dry on options at that point.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 7:31am
Yes, if he came back now and said he felt he had to go with Sweden because he wasn't Irish eligible at the time, but now the rules have changed and he is eligible he is keen to play for us I think that would be well received actually.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 9:31am
I don't think anyone would have an issue with Johansson back-tracking if he now has the chance to, his hands were tied by FIFA in terms of what he could do at the time.
We're decent enough..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 321322323324325 450>
  Share Topic