Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 288289290291292 450>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:32pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

The passive aggressiveness in the post "Like a good little girl" LOL

No idea why you're trying to be the fountain of all knowledge and when something's challenged you become aggressive like some pompous twat.
If anyone else had said that he'd have been whining and accusing them of misogyny as well.
Sponsored Links

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I don't believe that Brandon O'Neill was ever considered for any call up, hence my question.

Firstly, we all know that's not the real reason you decided to be confrontational.

Secondly, if you had done what I said you should very clearly see a couple of newspaper articles at the top of your search bar stating O'Neill would be open to a call up and he was being watched by MON.

Can I take this as an acceptance from you that I never actually "overhyped" O'Neill, or even made a reference to his ability, as you have previously claimed?
We're decent enough..
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 6:05pm
I didn't find any article about Brandon O'Neill being called up. Feel free to prove me wrong on this, you clearly have your knickers in a twist here.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 6:15pm
get a life boys
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Alan20152018 View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alan20152018 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 1:05pm
Alexis McAllister is another with Irish heritage but has set his sights on playing for Argentina although his two brothers could potentially be eligible this is what his father Carlos said in a recent article on the Athletic.

References to Alexis are often followed by mentions of Scottish ancestry, given the implication of the family name, but it is misleading.

“According to our family, we came from Ireland, rather than Scotland,” dad Carlos reveals.

Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 12:09am
Kieran Dowell joins Norwich permanently from Everton, three year deal.
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:14am
Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Is he likely to declare for us?
Scissors Kick View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scissors Kick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 2:05am
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by Scissors Kick Scissors Kick wrote:

Is he likely to declare for us?

Couldn't tell you, definitely eligible though. 
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 8:41am
He is no doubt a handy player. The type of player we would have been desperate to declare for us a year or two ago given the lack of talent coming through. 

We were so starved of any decent underage prospects (and those we had disappointed by failing to live up to what may have been unrealistic expectations), that we chased after anyone like a group of teenage boys attempting to lose their virginity. 

Thankfully given the other talent we can focus on (and the realistic expectation that some of those lads will make it) we don't need to show the same interest or desperation in the likes of Dowell. I understand he has never shown any interest in declaring for us. 

Edited by 50%lesssugar&salt - 31 Jul 2020 at 8:42am
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 9:19am
Did he have Irish citizenship before playing underage for England? If he didn't he won't qualify for us anyway.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Did he have Irish citizenship before playing underage for England? If he didn't he won't qualify for us anyway.

Yeah, key point. He was a good prospect a couple of years back, but hasn’t really pushed on. One of those that can spank in a 35 yarder, which always elevates expectations via the highlight reels
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 1:34pm
Wait, Isn't he allowed to switch once? despite not holding Irish citizenship? Can he not apply for citizenship then switch.... right? 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Wait, Isn't he allowed to switch once? despite not holding Irish citizenship? Can he not apply for citizenship then switch.... right? 

You can only switch to a country which you hold the 'Nationality' of when you played your first competitive game for another country.
Nationality is conferred by parents automatically so no need for passports or being registered on the foreign births etc. if your folks were born in the target country.

Johanssen's issue is his mother was born in England (irrelevant she moved back to Ireland soon after) and father in Sweden so he had no Irish nationality until he got a passport, which was after he played a competitive fixture for Lux underage.

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 7:32pm

Not if he's a granny rule qualification, no. That now only applies to Irish born players, players with an Irish born parent or players who already held Irish citizenship before playing for another country. So, unless he already had gone to the trouble of getting Irish citizenship years ago (very unlikely) he's ineligible along with Crowley, Johansson and countless others we don't know about yet.

Come to think of it Joe Hodge would have been ineligible under the current rule as well. We really need to get onto FIFA to get it sorted. The Johansson case has done serious damage to our potential playing pool.

EDIT: Actually Hodge would have been fine, he only played friendlies for England, no competitive appearances.

Edited by You Tell Me - 01 Aug 2020 at 9:51pm
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 8:18pm
Agreed, we really need to ask FIFA to clarify the rules here, the good news is, FIFA seems to be a well organised, competent, efficient organisation so are probably already looking into this issue.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 8:20pm

Not if he's a granny rule qualification, no. That now only applies to Irish born players, players with an Irish born parent or players who already held Irish citizenship before playing for another country. So, unless he already had gone to the trouble of getting Irish citizenship years ago (very unlikely) he's ineligible along with Crowley, Johansson and countless others we don't know about yet.

Come to think of it Joe Hodge would have been ineligible under the current rule as well. We really need to get onto FIFA to get it sorted. The Johansson case has done serious damage to our potential playing pool.

Again, we still have no confirmation of this. It would appear that is the case based on Johansson, but until we see it in a case where the other country hasn't kicked up a fuss (with Crowley, for example) then it's still possible he'd be treated in the same was as Robinson was.
We're decent enough..
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2020 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Again, we still have no confirmation of this. It would appear that is the case based on Johansson, but until we see it in a case where the other country hasn't kicked up a fuss (with Crowley, for example) then it's still possible he'd be treated in the same was as Robinson was.

This would be a sickner. But I think it is only if you are trying to switch BACK ?

If there is no switch then it should be fine
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2020 at 7:56pm
 Grant Hall has joined Middlesbrough.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 288289290291292 450>
  Share Topic