You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282283284285286 450>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by Healy52003 Healy52003 wrote:

Hard to see Harvey Nevile staying with us 
Yea won’t be with us long, will be dropped in no time. He is out of his depth at u18s level. 

Edited by IrishCanadian - 08 Jul 2020 at 2:34pm
Sponsored Links

Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

not really breaking news and not really that pivotal given his season, but Crowley may not be eligible. Wish the FAI would appeal these cases incase it impacts us further down the line. 

So am I right in thinking, if you are born in England for example, and don't have an Irish passport when playing for an underage setup. Even if one of your parents is Irish, you can not play for Ireland? 

If so, its not good for us.

Think you need to be registered on the foreign birth register rather than holding a passport but open to correction. 
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 4:40pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It also means that Callum Robinson is now in a John Aldridge type situation, playing for us even though he isn't qualified. His transfer to the Ireland setup has been approved so there's no going back now, but the FAI really do need to get this changed to cover for future situations (also possibly so that Crowley can be made eligible).

How was Aldridge not qualified? Think there's been differing reports as to whether it was his great grandmother or his grandmother being from Athlone but the FIFA regs were different back then. Only needed to be eligible for citizenship rather than actively holding it. He always said he was given an Irish passport back in 86 unlike some other players who traveled on British ones. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Drumcondra 69er Drumcondra 69er wrote:

It also means that Callum Robinson is now in a John Aldridge type situation, playing for us even though he isn't qualified. His transfer to the Ireland setup has been approved so there's no going back now, but the FAI really do need to get this changed to cover for future situations (also possibly so that Crowley can be made eligible).

How was Aldridge not qualified? Think there's been differing reports as to whether it was his great grandmother or his grandmother being from Athlone but the FIFA regs were different back then. Only needed to be eligible for citizenship rather than actively holding it. He always said he was given an Irish passport back in 86 unlike some other players who traveled on British ones. 

It was discussed previously. His link to Ireland has erroneously been reported as his great grandmother, however it was actually his grandmother. I'd imagine she moved over at a very young age and thus there was confusion as to whether it was her or her mother that was Irish born.
We're decent enough..
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 7:33pm

It has always been reported that he qualified through a great grandparent. If that is the case then he didn't actually qualify at all. He was later given an Irish passport, but that does not necessarily mean he was eligible for the football team, countries can give passports to whoever they want as a one off.

Now, if he had an Irish born grandparent as suggested by another poster there then he would of course have qualified. But his qualification has always been described as being through a great grandparent. It does look as though, a bit like Callum Robinson, he got through the red tape without actually being qualified to play for us.

Happy to stand corrected if anyone can prove otherwise though.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 7:59pm

It has always been reported that he qualified through a great grandparent. If that is the case then he didn't actually qualify at all. He was later given an Irish passport, but that does not necessarily mean he was eligible for the football team, countries can give passports to whoever they want as a one off.

Now, if he had an Irish born grandparent as suggested by another poster there then he would of course have qualified. But his qualification has always been described as being through a great grandparent. It does look as though, a bit like Callum Robinson, he got through the red tape without actually being qualified to play for us.

You can take it from the man himself that you're incorrect. Aldridge has stated he qualified through his grandmother. If Aldridge was ineligible, he would not have been allowed to continue to play for us for 10 years. FIFA don't just let you get away with continuing to field an ineligible player simply because you got away with it once.
We're decent enough..
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 8:04pm
Aldridge would have gotten an Irish passport at some stage would he not given that's how the thing with Cas emerged. (Not that it was the problem they thought it was at first) 

Edited by Denis Irwin - 08 Jul 2020 at 11:11pm
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 11:00pm

As long as you are Irish born or have an Irish born parent (anywhere on the island) you're automatically an Irish citizen from birth. So no issue playing for Ireland even if you've already played underage for another country.

The Crowley/Johansson situation relates to people who qualify through grandparents only. They are not automatically Irish citizens, they must apply to become Irish citizens. If they haven't done thisbefore they represent another country they're ineligible for us.

So Johansson has grandparents born in Ireland but had not become an Irish citizen before he played for Luxembourg underage. So he's ineligible. Similarly Crowley had played for England underage before trying to become an Irish citizen, he's ineligible too.

They can still become Irish citizens if they want of course, but under current Fifa rules they can't play for us.

The question is whether we are taking any steps to have the rule changed.

It is actually making RJ sound a bit more far removed than he is. his mothers parent are both fully Irish and she just happened to be born abroad and they moved home. I really think this was a nonsense decision. his mother is FUlly Irish and it shouldn't have counted as a granny rule in this case
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 7:26am
 Thomás Doyle for Man City must have some Irish in him. He came on yesterday.

Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

No link with us. Paternal grandfather Mick Doyle played with City and also his maternal grandfather Glyn Pardoe played with City. Both Brits and married Brits. There is no fada in his name like you stated above. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 8:54am
Didn't Shane Long ask him after a League Cup game earlier in the season if he was Irish and he said no

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:30am
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Didn't Shane Long ask him after a League Cup game earlier in the season if he was Irish and he said no

Apparently he did 

At the end, Shane Long came up to me and he said 'do you have any Irish in you?' Obviously, because of my last name, Doyle.

To hear that from someone who's been around the game a massive time, and got a load of international caps for Ireland, it does mean something to me.

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:50am

Said it was his Grandmother on The Tommy Tiernan Show a few years ago and not the first time he's said it either.

Englishborn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Britishborn

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Englishborn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

No link with us. Paternal grandfather Mick Doyle played with City and also his maternal grandfather Glyn Pardoe played with City. Both Brits and married Brits. There is no fada in his name like you stated above. 

Please don't use the word brits. England, English. I know you Irish love that word because it gives you some kind of gratification.  As an Englishman living in England., that word disgusts me
gufct View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Trapattoni could manage me any day!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gufct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 11:10am
never heard this before!!!!
One City,One County,One Club GUFC will be back.
Reillers88 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Reillers88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Englishborn Englishborn wrote:

Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

[QUOTE=Zinedine Kilbane 110] Thomás Doyle for Man City must have some Irish in him. He came on yesterday.

Please don't use the word brits. England, English. I know you Irish love that word because it gives you some kind of gratification.  As an Englishman living in England., that word disgusts me
[/QUOTE

As an Irish man living in Ireland, the fact that an English man living in England is annoyed at being called a Brit delights me. 
NewtNewbie View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 7:22pm
Relax. You're arguing with an internet alter ego; a caricature who doesn't, in actuality, exist.
Tribesman91 View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tribesman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jul 2020 at 9:44pm
Ye went around the world planting your butchers apron, deal with it
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 282283284285286 450>
  Share Topic