Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 281282283284285 450>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 10:23pm
Been mentioned before on here, but is Liam Delap eligible 
Called up to train with Man City first team 
Sponsored Links

Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 11:14pm
Played underage with England I think so not sure he'd be up for changing if eligible. 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jul 2020 at 11:15pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Been mentioned before on here, but is Liam Delap eligible 
Called up to train with Man City first team 

Delap's parents were from Donegal as far as I'm aware, so yes.
We're decent enough..
Linzark View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Linzark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 1:44am
Dennis Cirkin on the bench for Tottenham against Everton, wonder will he switch ? Also eligible for Latvia
Linzark
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Linzark Linzark wrote:

Dennis Cirkin on the bench for Tottenham against Everton, wonder will he switch ? Also eligible for Latvia
Very long shot on him declaring for us I'd imagine. 
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Howdo View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 3:29pm
Originally posted by kevincronin2000 kevincronin2000 wrote:

Originally posted by Linzark Linzark wrote:

Very long shot on him declaring for us I'd imagine. 

Better chance of Shergar declaring for the 3.55pm at Pontefract, I'd say
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 5:13pm
Hard to see Harvey Nevile staying with us 
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 5:20pm
Maybe not. Irish mother, like Will Smallbone, rather than grandparents like Rice and Grealish. The fact that the latter remains uncapped for England shows the competition there so unless Harvey is exceptional, Ireland could well be a better choice for him.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 5:28pm
His mother is English. Her mother is Irish. Considering that his aul lad played for England, you'd assume that's (understandably) where his alliances lie.

The reality is if Nevelle junior is half way decent, he'll be in in an England  underage squad in a few years. If the ceiling of his ability is championship level, he might get a few caps with us.

Work pointing out that United have resigned all their academy players to another year's contract because of Covid, not due to ability 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

His mother is English. Her mother is Irish. Considering that his aul lad played for England, you'd assume that's (understandably) where his alliances lie.

The reality is if Nevelle junior is half way decent, he'll be in in an England  underage squad in a few years. If the ceiling of his ability is championship level, he might get a few caps with us.

Work pointing out that United have resigned all their academy players to another year's contract because of Covid, not due to ability 

His mother was born in England, to say she's English is just an assumption. For all we know she regards herself as Irish, hence Phil's comments that their son is "half-Irish".
We're decent enough..
Nialler View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nialler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2020 at 9:32pm
Neville won't make league one lads. He's sh*te. He shouldn't be near an Ireland underage call up either. I think its Neville's grandfather on his mother side who was an Irish businessman?
Cirkin has no interest in Ireland either. I believe Will Smallbone has every intention of playing for Ireland. 
We need to stop giving these lads valuable places in our underage systems. This back up option only costs us when they can't make the English team. We actually rarely get good players out of it (or at least haven't for a long time) 

Edited by Nialler - 07 Jul 2020 at 9:34pm
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 1:37pm
not really breaking news and not really that pivotal given his season, but Crowley may not be eligible. Wish the FAI would appeal these cases incase it impacts us further down the line. 

delgado View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote delgado Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 1:38pm
I think philip nevilles wife is irish ,
that is how the son is eligible
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

not really breaking news and not really that pivotal given his season, but Crowley may not be eligible. Wish the FAI would appeal these cases incase it impacts us further down the line. 

So am I right in thinking, if you are born in England for example, and don't have an Irish passport when playing for an underage setup. Even if one of your parents is Irish, you can not play for Ireland? 

If so, its not good for us.
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 2:06pm
Originally posted by delgado delgado wrote:

I think philip nevilles wife is irish ,
that is how the son is eligible

dont think she is. granny or great granny job.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 2:07pm
As long as you are Irish born or have an Irish born parent (anywhere on the island) you're automatically an Irish citizen from birth. So no issue playing for Ireland even if you've already played underage for another country.

The Crowley/Johansson situation relates to people who qualify through grandparents only. They are not automatically Irish citizens, they must apply to become Irish citizens. If they haven't done thisbefore they represent another country they're ineligible for us.

So Johansson has grandparents born in Ireland but had not become an Irish citizen before he played for Luxembourg underage. So he's ineligible. Similarly Crowley had played for England underage before trying to become an Irish citizen, he's ineligible too.

They can still become Irish citizens if they want of course, but under current Fifa rules they can't play for us.

The question is whether we are taking any steps to have the rule changed.

Edited by You Tell Me - 08 Jul 2020 at 2:10pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by cildaratown cildaratown wrote:

Looks like Kenny said there is “question marks”

The FAI should appeal this rule. Irish citizenship is a lot more complex than most countries. It’s honestly total nonsense anyway.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2020 at 2:22pm
It also means that Callum Robinson is now in a John Aldridge type situation, playing for us even though he isn't qualified. His transfer to the Ireland setup has been approved so there's no going back now, but the FAI really do need to get this changed to cover for future situations (also possibly so that Crowley can be made eligible).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 281282283284285 450>
  Share Topic