You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 450>
Author
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roger Lonnegan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 11:16am
Time will tell. Declan is going to get exposed as a player. I just have sympathy for his betrayal. Hope we get Maddison and that Celtic lad.
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by AbuAbu AbuAbu wrote:

What I can't understand is why anyone would pick England as a career move. From a pure quality of life perspective if you are in the running for a call up to England you are probably well secure money wise, yes u will earn more if u play for England but on the basis u are already loaded why is that such a factor. Once u play with England any chance of a private life is gone! Also there is a lot of competition so one bad game and u could be gone. I'm guessing it is agents pressure.

Maddison may or may not feel passionately about his nationality or he might be deciding the amount of abuse he got over his kit bag just proves its not worth the hassle playing for England. Would it even have been in the papers if he played for us?? ridiculous bag to be fair!!
I think you're making the mistake of considering all players to be basically alike (barring a few rare exceptions).

Ditto their motivation for making decisions like international career. In particular, imagining it's all about the money/profile etc.

Generally the one thing top players have in common is their competitiveness and determination to get on - otherwise they'd never make it against the fierce competition from thousands of others, often with greater natural talent.

But the motivation behind this desire to get to the top can vary. With some, it's because they're flash gits, or greedy, and so want the fame, adulation and money which this brings. Neymar comes to mind, and Maddison may be another one.

But others want to do it to validate themselves, or reward the parents/mentors/coaches who got them on their way. A good example is Harry Kane, son of a Galway man(!), who obviously and genuinely loves playing for England, not least since it offers another opportunity to shine at the highest possible level.

While others still want to do it to fight the rest of the world and prove them all wrong - or "Diego Maradona", as it's otherwise called.

So that Maddison, for all that he may also be a cocky bugger, could just as easily fall into one of the last two categories. (And I'm sure there are others.) 
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

A good example is Harry Kane, son of a Galway man(!), 

Grandson. Your post is right overall though. 
The only way is up
Bham_McDermott View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bham_McDermott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

A good example is Harry Kane, son of a Galway man(!), 

Grandson. Your post is right overall though. 

I don't agree with THAT, in the workplace!
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Bham_McDermott Bham_McDermott wrote:

I stand corrected. Thumbs Up Makes it even worse then that a man born in Connemara to two Gaeltacht parents has his son playing for and captaining England.
The only way is up
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 2:44pm

I stand corrected. Thumbs Up Makes it even worse then that a man born in Connemara to two Gaeltacht parents has his son playing for and captaining England.
Is that why he struggles to speak English?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 3:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

LOL
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 4:18pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

LOL
Only part of the reason he cant speak english 
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:23pm
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kerry_Mayo

This fall must have been eligible back in the day, sounds like he named after an all-Ireland final
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:32pm
Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

This fall must have been eligible back in the day, sounds like he named after an all-Ireland final
One of the greatest ever chants after he married another Kerry! Brighton legend.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:36pm

Originally posted by PaddyDaCulchie PaddyDaCulchie wrote:

One of the greatest ever chants after he married another Kerry! Brighton legend.

Remember him from championship manager 99 I think, don't know why he came into my head. What was chant?

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:37pm
There’s only two Kerry Mayos, madly!
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2019 at 6:38pm

There’s only two Kerry Mayos, madly!

Madly. I was bit slow on uptake there haha
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 11:46am
Steve Gallen head of recruitment at Charlton was in The Star today and said he thinks Ireland should call up Conor Gallagher now, he said Conor told him he was eligable and thinks hes good enough now.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 11:49am
Is that Kevin's brother? Think he played underage for us.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Is that Kevin's brother? Think he played underage for us.
Correct
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Steve Gallen head of recruitment at Charlton was in The Star today and said he thinks Ireland should call up Conor Gallagher now, he said Conor told him he was eligable and thinks hes good enough now.

The question would still be whether he accepts a call up. He’s definitely eligible, but I’m sure he has his heart set on England 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Oct 2019 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

The question would still be whether he accepts a call up. He’s definitely eligible, but I’m sure he has his heart set on England 

The quote suggests he'd be open to it... no? 

He's a very good player, no harm in posing the question.

However, if he gives the " I'd like to consider my options and wouldn't like to close the door" type answer well I think we just move on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 269270271272273 450>
  Share Topic