You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 450>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NewtNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Apparently it's only if they're recognised by FIFA as being such and play qualifying matches - except if it's Wales or Scotland. Cast iron logic.

Someone moron on here said recently that Wales couldn't be a country because it doesn't issue its own currency. The Republic of Ireland hasn't done so since 1999!
[/QUOTE]

Yes, Wales's FIFA membership (as with Scotland's) is a historical anomaly going back to the fact the first "internationals" were between the states that make up the UK.

If Wales and Scotland (or England or NI) applied for FIFA membership today, they wouldn't get in.  Just like Catalonia and Euskadi or the People's Republic of Cork.  They'd have to apply as the UK.  
[/QUOTE]

Gibraltar. The Faroe Islands. Kosovo.

Anyway the point is that FIFA aren't the arbiters of what does and does not constitute a country.
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:39pm

[/QUOTE]

I understand where your coming from, but there’s a big difference in being raised in a country from the age of 7 to living in a country as an adult. 7-16 are formative years. Most importantly, he is eligible for a Spanish passport after 9 years, no matter how good he is at football.

I agree with Fati’s right to call himself Spanish when he’s been raised in Spain. I don’t agree with CJ Standers right to play for Ireland after three years here.

[/QUOTE]

You're going down a dark road with that one declandaly 

If 3 years is not enough and 7 years is ok, what's the absolute minimum? Is 5 years still ok but 4 years and 364 days not? If not why not.

If the persons age is a factor, what's the oldest you can be? Is 10 ok but 11 too old and again why? 

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Its unlikely that at any point in history [Ansu Fati] has ties to Spain.

From his Wiki page:

His father is ex-footballer Bori Fati, who was from Guinea-Bissau. After immigrating to Portugal, he set up some teams in the lower leagues. There, he read a story of the Andalusian town Marinaleda, situated near Seville, that was offering work to immigrants. After begging for food on the streets of Marinaleda, he met the mayor and found a job as a driver. Then he settled in Herrera, a nearby town, where Ansu would spend most of his childhood and where he would get his football enlightenment training. Though born in Guinea-Bissau, Bori has said he is "a Sevillian"

Not sure what you're looking to prove here territorial, his father begged on the streets of spain and therefore.... what? 

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 8:56pm

You're going down a dark road with that one declandaly 

If 3 years is not enough and 7 years is ok, what's the absolute minimum? Is 5 years still ok but 4 years and 364 days not? If not why not.

If the persons age is a factor, what's the oldest you can be? Is 10 ok but 11 too old and again why? 

[/QUOTE]

I agree it’s not cut and dry, but I think the rule could be along the lines of five years of residency before the age of 18. I think that would do a good job of policing some of the more nefarious practices such as Qatar’s Aspire Academy.

All thresholds are kind of absurd, but I think they are at least more tangible than the “family connection” approach. His grandparents may not have any connection to Spain, but he very clearly does. He grew up there.

At the end of the day, if the Spanish give Fati a passport (and he is eligible, having lived there for 9 years), he can play for them.

Honestly, I don’t think his case is really that much of a big deal. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 9:15pm
I agree it’s not cut and dry, but I think the rule could be along the lines of five years of residency before the age of 18. I think that would do a good job of policing some of the more nefarious practices such as Qatar’s Aspire Academy.

All thresholds are kind of absurd, but I think they are at least more tangible than the “family connection” approach. His grandparents may not have any connection to Spain, but he very clearly does. He grew up there.

At the end of the day, if the Spanish give Fati a passport (and he is eligible, having lived there for 9 years), he can play for them.

[/QUOTE]

Fair points I must say. 

I just get the feeling that the rules that fifa have implemented benefit the stronger nations with first refusal of players.

I guess there's a fear that a messi or Ronaldo will come through a San Marino and they'll never play in a major tournament 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 9:38pm
Very true that the rules seem to benefit the bigger nations. Fairly ridiculous that we are in this situation with Johansson and Crowley given their obvious connection
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 9:44pm

Fair points I must say. 

I just get the feeling that the rules that fifa have implemented benefit the stronger nations with first refusal of players.

I guess there's a fear that a messi or Ronaldo will come through a San Marino and they'll never play in a major tournament 
[/QUOTE]

Don't really see why "before the age of 18" should make any difference, it's completely arbitrary. Why would living in Spain from the age of 13-18 make you more Spanish that someone who's lived there from say 14 to 30?
We're decent enough..
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 10:14pm
Is this Fati lad declaring or have the Welsh taken him?
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Fair points I must say. 

Don't really see why "before the age of 18" should make any difference, it's completely arbitrary. Why would living in Spain from the age of 13-18 make you more Spanish that someone who's lived there from say 14 to 30?
[/QUOTE]

Let’s say 4 years, so?
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 8:18am

Fifa rules are a shambles.

Ansu Fati lives in Spain 9 years, gets given Spanish citizenship and should now be available to line out for spain. No real ties to the country, just lived there...

Johansson or Crowley actually have ties to Ireland, needs to be reviewed as they played in some underage games for another team... which is something lots of players have done.
How exactly does Fati have no ties to Spain when he's grown up there since being a young kid and has little memory of living anywhere else? Whereas someone like Robinson whose only connection is a granny that died decades before his birth and had no connection to any Irish relatives is completely Irish? What reality do some people live in??
Drumcondra 69er View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drumcondra 69er Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 9:35am
Blog: A False First XI
Twitter: @afalsefirstxi
Facebook: A False First XI
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 10:48am
How exactly does Fati have no ties to Spain when he's grown up there since being a young kid and has little memory of living anywhere else? Whereas someone like Robinson whose only connection is a granny that died decades before his birth and had no connection to any Irish relatives is completely Irish? What reality do some people live in??
[/QUOTE]

I understand what you're saying conan but to answer your question; bloodline. 

Players like robinson have blood ties to ireland so playing for ireland has roots. 

Maybe you feel that simply living in a country for a few years in enough but this is one of the reasons I feels international football is losing its appeal.

It's more club football with some mercenaries dotted here and there. The national pride seems to be dwindling 
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:33am
If a lad is born in Nigeria but grows up here has every right to play for Ireland. Just because he isnt white, has red hair and his name isnt Sean O'Shea dosent mean he isnt Irish . I have a few mates who are black one from Nigeria one from the Caribbean and grew up here, they are as Irish as the next man imo.

We have a history goinf back hundreds of years of black Irish people, even Jews and Italian Irish have played for us.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 21 Sep 2019 at 11:35am
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:36am
What Jews and Italians played for us?

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 11:40am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What Jews and Italians played for us?

Louis Bookman was Jewish. Cascarino would class as Italian, or part Italian. Stephen Ireland has Italian heritage. Terry Mancini too.

Edited by pre Madonna - 21 Sep 2019 at 11:41am
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

If a lad is born in Nigeria but grows up here has every right to play for Ireland. Just because he isnt white, has red hair and his name isnt Sean O'Shea dosent mean he isnt Irish . I have a few mates who are black one from Nigeria one from the Caribbean and grew up here, they are as Irish as the next man imo.

We have a history goinf back hundreds of years of black Irish people, even Jews and Italian Irish have played for us.

What are you talking about? I gave Robinson as an example of someone with irish roots and he isnt white. He may identify as black or mixed race.

Michael Obafemi was born in ireland and is irish and it's really great that he chose ireland as he could have chosen to represent Nigeria.

JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:04pm
You where saying Fati shouldnt play for Spain as he only lived there. He has been living there since he was a young child he more than likley identifys as Spainsh.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2019 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

You where saying Fati shouldnt play for Spain as he only lived there. He has been living there since he was a young child he more than likley identifys as Spainsh.

You're trying very hard to make this about race and it has nothing to do with race. So please keep your race baiting to yourself 

I don't believe that a person who has lived in a country that he wasn't born in and has no blood ties to that country should be able to represent that country in international football. 

I'm fully aware that fifa rules say different but I think it takes away from international football. All the most skilled players in world football will inevitably find themselves in the main European leagues and they can then nationalise those players to the detriment of the smaller nations progress.

International football is going down the club football route so why even have international football

So yes, Fati should not be allowed to play for spain just because he FEELS hes spanish

Edited by Left foot - 21 Sep 2019 at 12:24pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 264265266267268 450>
  Share Topic