You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262263264265266 450>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:40pm
So can they play for us or what?
Sponsored Links

Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

It is likely that they will, yes.

Not because they were Irish citizens when they played for Lux/Eng - they weren't.

Rather because FIFA is likely to recognise some sort of Irish "nationality" - as the FIFA statutes understand that term - from birth.  
10 Box View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 10 Box Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Not because they were Irish citizens when they played for Lux/Eng - they weren't.

Rather because FIFA is likely to recognise some sort of Irish "nationality" - as the FIFA statutes understand that term - from birth.  

Is the problem with Crowleys eligibility similiar or a different issue?

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:01pm
" you're too dense to interpret it" , "what the f*ck are you on about" 

O'Shea, you wouldn't say something like that to my face, so it's odd you'd say something like that online. 

I don't think this should be a forum for abusive content.   

As regards the substance of the point - there are literally reams and reams of law on the difference between citizenship and nationality.  It's a millenia-old concept that goes back to the time of the Greeks and Romans.  

As I said in 99.9% of the cases they will be the same thing in practice, so there will be no difference in practice, which is why the cases correlate. But the principle is different and that may have relevance to the 0.1% of cases like the peculiar Irish citizenship laws.  

Read the Economist article for a summary - I won't try enlighten you any further, O'Shea.

Regarding a purposive approach to interpretation - I don't think you know about what this is other than snippets you've read on the internet.  

It's not something that generally exists to create a completely contradictory result to the words - which would be the case here: it is a fact that Johansson and Crowley were not citizens when they played underage for Lux/Eng.  There is no way of getting around that fact. 

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:02pm
The same. I've a feeling there isn't actually any query over Crowley's eligibility though, and it's just Mick using the Johansson situation to deflect from the fact he just doesn't want to pick him.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

We don't know for certain because no information has been given, but it is likely to be the same issue as it has a similar fact pattern 
- unless it relates to him having exhausted his switches - he went back and forth 4 times - not sure if they were all FIFA recognised age-groups.
Paul Andrew White View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paul Andrew White Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by 10 Box 10 Box wrote:

Just the same. As long as these lads dont play senior international won't be any unexpected situations. We are Ireland. We have given the world of football a lot. Even when Thierry Henry won Us and cheated 4 years later.

Edited by Paul Andrew White - 12 Sep 2019 at 4:05pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:29pm
Is there any concern that for Crowley, the problem is he has exhausted his one FIFA switch and so isn't eligible?

e.g.: the same as Jack Grealish's situation - still not capped competitively for England, but can never become eligible for Ireland again (even if he or we wanted) as you're only allowed the one switch at FIFA age-grade?

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 12 Sep 2019 at 4:29pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:37pm

Is there any concern that for Crowley, the problem is he has exhausted his one FIFA switch and so isn't eligible?

e.g.: the same as Jack Grealish's situation - still not capped competitively for England, but can never become eligible for Ireland again (even if he or we wanted) as you're only allowed the one switch at FIFA age-grade?

It has nothing to do with FIFA recognised age grades, its about FIFA recognised fixtures. He has never played in a FIFA recognised fixture for Ireland, only England. If he'd played competitively for us both it wouldn't even be a question over his eligibility, he would cut and dry simply be ineligible. 
We're decent enough..
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:44pm

O'Shea, you wouldn't say something like that to my face, so it's odd you'd say something like that online. 

As regards the substance of the point - there are literally reams and reams of law on the difference between citizenship and nationality.  It's a millenia-old concept that goes back to the time of the Greeks and Romans.  

As I said in 99.9% of the cases they will be the same thing in practice, so there will be no difference in practice, which is why the cases correlate. But the principle is different and that may have relevance to the 0.1% of cases like the peculiar Irish citizenship laws.  

Read the Economist article for a summary - I won't try enlighten you any further, O'Shea.

Regarding a purposive approach to interpretation - I don't think you know about what this is other than snippets you've read on the internet.  

It's not something that generally exists to create a completely contradictory result to the words - which would be the case here: it is a fact that Johansson and Crowley were not citizens when they played underage for Lux/Eng.  There is no way of getting around that fact. 

No, you really are just dense. I don't need to read the Economist article because as I've repeatedly said, I am aware that there is an arguable semantic difference between the two. In practice, however, this semantic difference is rarely acknowledged and the terms are used entirely interchangeably (ie it is commonly understood that an Irish national and Irish citizen are exactly the same thing). As far as FIFA are concerned, an Irish national is synonymous with being an Irish citizen and vice versa, this is what literally every shred of evidence points towards and it is (when you think about it) the only sensible way to determine if someone is a "national". Overwhelming evidence against your argument has never stopped you before though, so I don't expect it will stop you this time either.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:48pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

It has nothing to do with FIFA recognised age grades, its about FIFA recognised fixtures. He has never played in a FIFA recognised fixture for Ireland, only England. If he'd played competitively for us both it wouldn't even be a question over his eligibility, he would cut and dry simply be ineligible. 

Yes, I see he has played at two age-grades for Ireland U16 and U17, each time switching to England.  However the U16 and U17 Ireland caps were purely friendlies, whereas he got U17 and U19 competitive (FiFA recognised) caps for England.  

So he still has a switch in him. 

Which would possibly put him in the same situation as Johansson - though presumably Crowley would have had registered with the DOFA and got the passport situation sorted out before that i.e.: when he played U16 for Ireland and had yet to play competitively for England (though he had already played a friendly for England at U16)...

So he may have had an Irish passport when he made his competitive England debut - which would make him different to Johansson...

Not entirely clear!
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:51pm
Neither Johansson or presumably Crowley are eligible to transfer according to the statutes, regardless of anybody's personal interpretation of what is 'absurd' according to their personal (some may say extremely touchy) emotions on the subject. Its pretty clear cut.
However give that FIFA have already probably disregarded these rules to clear Robinson to play for us and possibly done the same for the benefit of other granny rule practitioners such as Algeria then they can't easily disallow Johansson and Crowley from switching on this basis or else you'd have a situation where all our qualifying results could be declared invalid on the basis of the use of a technically ineligible player  in Robinson and can't see FIFA/UEFA opening that potential can of worms.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

Neither Johansson or presumably Crowley are eligible to transfer according to the statutes, regardless of anybody's personal interpretation of what is 'absurd' according to their personal (some may say extremely touchy) emotions on the subject. Its pretty clear cut.
However give that FIFA have already probably disregarded these rules to clear Robinson to play for us and possibly done the same for the benefit of other granny rule practitioners such as Algeria then they can't easily disallow Johansson and Crowley from switching on this basis or else you'd have a situation where all our qualifying results could be declared invalid on the basis of the use of a technically ineligible player  in Robinson and can't see FIFA/UEFA opening that potential can of worms.

"Absurd" in this case is a legal term used to explain the use of the purposive opposed to the literal approach, there is nothing emotional or personal about it. The belief that anything in the legal world is "clear cut" is absurd in the regular sense of the word however, and tends to only be asserted by those who have no knowledge of legal interpretation and processes.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2019 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

No, you really are just dense. I don't need to read the Economist article because as I've repeatedly said, I am aware that there is an arguable semantic difference between the two. In practice, however, this semantic difference is rarely acknowledged and the terms are used entirely interchangeably (ie it is commonly understood that an Irish national and Irish citizen are exactly the same thing). As far as FIFA are concerned, an Irish national is synonymous with being an Irish citizen and vice versa, this is what literally every shred of evidence points towards and it is (when you think about it) the only sensible way to determine if someone is a "national". Overwhelming evidence against your argument has never stopped you before though, so I don't expect it will stop you this time either.

It's a subtle distinction, not just a semantic distinction, well-recognised for millenia in law, but rarely raises its head, because of the huge overlap.

You haven't read the Economist article (which is really just a brief summary of loads of different law on this issue throughout the world), so you've literally closed your eyes to the reality and made things up. 

How else can you explain that a person born in American Samoa is has American nationality but is not an American citizen?  It used to be, until Congress changed it, that a person born in Puerto Rico had American nationality, but was not an American citizen.  

How do you explain that a person born in British Virgin Islands or Montserrat has British nationality, but is not a British citizen?

Anyway, I'm not going to educate you any further on a millenia-established and accepted point of law. 

You've made something up (i.e.: that citizenship =  nationality) in FIFA and have literally not produced one shred of evidence where FIFA say this is the case.  All you can point to is the 99.9% of cases where they will predictably, in practice, be the same thing.  Johansson's case may be the 0.1%.  

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 5:03pm
Conor Gallagher wins the EFL's Young Player of the Month award:  
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 5:08pm
Fifa rules are a shambles.

Ansu Fati lives in Spain 9 years, gets given Spanish citizenship and should now be available to line out for spain. No real ties to the country, just lived there...

Johansson or Crowley actually have ties to Ireland, needs to be reviewed as they played in some underage games for another team... which is something lots of players have done.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Fifa rules are a shambles.

Ansu Fati lives in Spain 9 years, gets given Spanish citizenship and should now be available to line out for spain. No real ties to the country, just lived there...

Johansson or Crowley actually have ties to Ireland, needs to be reviewed as they played in some underage games for another team... which is something lots of players have done.

Yes, and the English FA would be loving an adverse decision against us on Johansson/Crowley - it would mean that they'd just have to cap lads at youth level - and if the lad hadn't sorted out their passport - they would be ineligible for us.  

Meanwhile if they cap a lad with Welsh eligibility it makes no difference, because the kid is "British" and so he can still line out for Wales. 

So absurdly, even though Wales isn't even a country - and their inclusion in FIFA really just a historical anomaly -  they get easier eligibility rules than the rest of us. 
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2019 at 5:48pm

So absurdly, even though Wales isn't even a country - and their inclusion in FIFA really just a historical anomaly -  they get easier eligibility rules than the rest of us. 

Wales is a country and it has been since the mid-11th Century.

What exactly makes you an expert judge of whether or not they are a country ?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 262263264265266 450>
  Share Topic