You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 259260261262263 450>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Lavery isn't better than what we have. We have more than enough in Obafemi, Parrott, Connolly, Idah in relation to young forwards. Robinson is only 24 too. Not bothered about Lavery.

Nonetheless, Lavery has a real chance of developing into a really good player; as much as the players you list have a chance of not making it.  

Shame that potential isn't to our benefit, particularly as it seemed a couple of years ago that he was keen on playing for us.

The more quality, or young and potentially high-quality, players that we have, to state the obvious, the better. 
Sponsored Links

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2019 at 10:40pm
I don't think Lavery is any more likely to make it at the top level than someone like Glen McAuley to be honest, and McAuley couldn't even make our under 19s this year, let alone the senior team. 
NIGreenWall View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIGreenWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 1:07am
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

NI gave 1st caps to Ethan Galbraith, Ciaron Brown, and Alfie McAlmont in their friendly against Luxembourg (Brown and McAlmont are English-born). McAlmont seems to be particularly well regarded, perhaps one we've missed out on.

All still technically eligible obviously. 

No reason for the FAI not to investigate.  NI have ROI U21 cap Callum Morris in their current squad. As their recent attempt to recruit the likes of Jimmy Dunne and Michael O'Connor shows, they've no qualms with going after players who came through our systems. 

As regards those three players:

- Galbraith was never likely to be an option for us, as discussed previously above. 

- Ciaron Brown presumably may have been open to us, if his first name is any indication of family background.  Remains eligible at U21 level. 

- Anyone know what Yorkshire-born McAlmont's link to Ireland is?  He does look promising.  Remains eligible at U19 level. Might be worth Kenny having a look.

As for the IFA attempting to recuit Jimmy Dunne, Michael O'Neill was spoken to by Jimmy's agent who was an ex NI international and informed of his eligibility and was told that Jimmy would be interested in having a conversation with him, after they had met for coffee, the agent then leaked the info to the press, to put pressure on the FAI to call him up and it worked so fair play to his agent.

As for Michael O'Connor, it was he who contacted the IFA and declared he was eligible and wanted to switch, the IFA had no idea he was even eligible, i believe all his documentation was gathered and he was then called up to an FAI training camp in the meantime and he then asked for the paperwork to be withdrawn.

Whether either player had ever any intention to switch i have my doubts, i think both were using the IFA to put pressure on the FAI to pick them and good luck to the both of them. Personally i would prefer NI didn't speak to any player who has played for the ROI at any level.

Brown's mother is from Belfast according to reports and comes from an Irish background, so their maybe a chance with him, although i have my doubts as he informed the IFA of his eligibility and not the FAI.

As i have posted before you have no chance with McAlmont he has been with NI since he was 14, his family are from a unionist background, he has openly said for many years that it is his dream to play for NI.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 1:48am
Thanks for that info re Brown and McAlmont.  

I'm not aware of the circumstances of O'Connor being picked for NI.  However I had thought that Dunne was approached by McPhee, a coach on O'Neill's staff, who was also a coach at Hearts when Dunne was playing well there. 
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 2:31am
Some nonsense in this thread by the usual suspects.

Jimmy Dunne has only played 13 times in 9 and a half months, 6 of those in a very leaky Sunderland defence, there is absolutely no chance he's going to be starting in a competitive match anytime soon thus remains eligible for either National side whether he sits on the bench or not. Time is on his side however.

And there's the usual crap of guesswork that he's eligible because of his name regarding Ciaron Brown - His nan and his mother's from Belfast, he's born in England. There's zero evidence that he's actually eligible!! 
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 7:20am
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Some nonsense in this thread by the usual suspects.

Jimmy Dunne has only played 13 times in 9 and a half months, 6 of those in a very leaky Sunderland defence, there is absolutely no chance he's going to be starting in a competitive match anytime soon thus remains eligible for either National side whether he sits on the bench or not. Time is on his side however.

And there's the usual crap of guesswork that he's eligible because of his name regarding Ciaron Brown - His nan and his mother's from Belfast, he's born in England. There's zero evidence that he's actually eligible!! 

If his grandmother and his mother are from Belfast, then there's a 100% chance he's "actually eligible"? LOL
We're decent enough..
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:08am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

I don't think Lavery is any more likely to make it at the top level than someone like Glen McAuley to be honest, and McAuley couldn't even make our under 19s this year, let alone the senior team. 

Time will tell but what ive seen of Lavery I think he will have a great career 
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2019 at 8:58am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Time will tell but what ive seen of Lavery I think he will have a great career 

Multiple league titles with Linfield??!!
giveittochristie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:04pm
Going back (sorry) to the whole Ryan Johansson thing. I noticed last night Hadergonaj from Huddersfield played for Kosovo, despite having a whole host of underage caps and even a full cap (in a friendly) for Switzerland.

I checked his wiki and it says he received his Kosovan passport in May of this year, so never held one while playing for Switzerland.

I really can't see why Johansson cannot play for us with recent similar precedents such as this.

Edited by giveittochristie - 11 Sep 2019 at 1:05pm
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by giveittochristie giveittochristie wrote:

Going back (sorry) to the whole Ryan Johansson thing. I noticed last night Hadergonaj from Huddersfield played for Kosovo, despite having a whole host of underage caps and even a full cap (in a friendly) for Switzerland.

I checked his wiki and it says he received his Kosovan passport in May of this year, so never held one while playing for Switzerland.

I really can't see why Johansson cannot play for us with recent similar precedents such as this.
Kosovo is a completely different story as far as I know since they only joined FIFA recently there’s still a bit of leeway for players to join
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:13pm
Kosovo is entirely different as it is a new FIFA nation and they allowed any eligible player the option to switch to them. The lad who scored in the first minute last night, Berisha, has twenty caps for Norway. 
If the Basques, for example, became an independent nation, at least in footballing terms,  the likes of Lorentz and the entire Bilbao team would become eligible; no matter how many caps they may have for Spain.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:35pm
I know of Kosovo's 'special' status but pretty sure it wouldnt apply in this case - he got caps for Switzerland after he was able to switch. Players cannot continue to switch for the rest of their careers I would think - otherwise Shaqiri and Xhaka will probably do so in their mid 30s.

Edit: You can tell i'm bored in work - here's an example: 

Edited by giveittochristie - 11 Sep 2019 at 1:38pm
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:39pm

I know of Kosovo's 'special' status but pretty sure it wouldnt apply in this case - he got caps for Switzerland after he was able to switch. Players cannot continue to switch for the rest of their careers I would think - otherwise Shaqiri and Xhaka will probably do so in their mid 30s.

The answer to your own question is in your own URL you provided.

The cap he gained for Switzerland post-Kosovan eligibility was a friendly cap against Belarus therefore never fully tied himself to the Swiss.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:40pm

He was only capped in a friendly after being able to switch, Kosovo’s status meant he went back to scratch as far as eligibility was concerned and had his switch still available.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:42pm
It’s pretty maddening when you see the Brazilian lads turning out for Bulgaria last night and even China capping a naturalized Brazilian this week. The rules are absurd, and we always seem to come out on the wrong side of them. Even in our efforts to cap underage prospects who have grown up in Ireland from an early age (Maxi Kouogan at Waterford being at example)
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote giveittochristie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

He was only capped in a friendly after being able to switch, Kosovo’s status meant he went back to scratch as far as eligibility was concerned and had his switch still available.
He was still getting u21 caps in 2016, though...from the decision to allow the other players to switch it appears the 'magic' date was 13 May 2016 "In particular, the Bureau of the Players' Status Committee wished to emphasise that the players concerned had not represented their previous association after 13 May 2016, the date of admission of the FFK to FIFA. In other words, they never chose to play for their previous association when they had the opportunity to choose to play for the representative teams of the FFK. The Bureau of the Players’ Status Committee indicated that this was a key element in its decision on the matter."

Either way, im not sure FIFAs position holds up to scrutiny if challenged properly by the FAI.

Edited by giveittochristie - 11 Sep 2019 at 1:46pm
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:51pm
So he switched from playing u-21, and one senior friendly, to Kosovo. I am struggling to understand why you are struggling! It is consistent with Rice and Grealish, for example.
If his Swiss cap was in a competitive game he couldn’t have switched.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2019 at 1:56pm
I'm also confused to why it's confusing LOL

He played a bunch of U21 games with the Swiss
Kosovo became a member state
He played a friendly game for the Swiss which makes him still eligible for either nation 
He decided to get a Kosovan passport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 259260261262263 450>
  Share Topic