Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 450>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 7:30am
Originally posted by Territorial Territorial wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

What an absolute hypocrite Michael O'Neill is.
Really?

1. (Assuming he's eligible*), O'Connor has a clear connection with NI via his granny;
The insinuation of point 1 being that the likes of McClean/Gibson/Wilson etc have no such "genuine link" to the ROI. You're some clown LOL
If that's what you want to infer, that's up to you.

But I was highlighting the granny link to demonstrate his connection to NI, hence MO'N's right to consider him. 

Which is no different from eg Declan Rice. You know, ancestry from ROI and all that, without whom he wouldn't be entitled to opt for the FAI.

And talking of Rice, there is a further significance. That is, under FIFA rules, anyone with British nationality is entitled to represent any of the four British Associations.

However, the four Associations have agreed between them that none shall pick such a player unless he also has a connection, such as birthplace, ancestry or residence etc.

It's called principle...

No one is questioning O'Connors eligibility; they're merely pointing out the gross hypocrisy of O'Neill who has incessantly played the victim while at the same time engaging in exactly the same type of behaviour that he bemoans...

That Rice comparison is right out of the O'Neill playbook too; it's not really accurate though, is it? Rice's grandparents were Irish people from Ireland, and his father also regards himself as Irish. There is, therefore, a strong link. O'Connors granny may have been born in Belfast, but I'd wager that neither her nor her kids regard themselves as Northern Irish/British in any way. O'Connor's eligibility is thus more technical, whereas Rice's is substantively material. If you're looking for a genuine "like-for-like" example, it would be more along the lines of Curtis Davies, who's grandmother was born in Ireland but did not regard herself as Irish.
We're decent enough..
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:43am

No one is questioning O'Connors eligibility; they're merely pointing out the gross hypocrisy of O'Neill who has incessantly played the victim while at the same time engaging in exactly the same type of behaviour that he bemoans...
MO'N has never denied the right of the FAI to cap NI-born players who have no ROI parents/grandparents.

So it would only be hypocrisy were he instead to persuade some 17 y.o., who had already played youth football for ROI, to throw his hand in with NI, thereby preventing any possibility of a better/preferable option in future.

But that clearly doesn't apply to O'Connor, since he is old/experienced enough to know what he's doing and as your fellow fans have noted, nowhere near getting capped by ROI.

That Rice comparison is right out of the O'Neill playbook too; it's not really accurate though, is it? Rice's grandparents were Irish people from Ireland, and his father also regards himself as Irish. There is, therefore, a strong link. O'Connors granny may have been born in Belfast, but I'd wager that neither her nor her kids regard themselves as Northern Irish/British in any way. O'Connor's eligibility is thus more technical, whereas Rice's is substantively material. If you're looking for a genuine "like-for-like" example, it would be more along the lines of Curtis Davies, who's grandmother was born in Ireland but did not regard herself as Irish.
And I'm the one who gets criticised for pointing out that some people may be "more Irish" than others?

You couldn't make it up!

Except that you just have. LOL

Meanwhile, how do you know what O'Connor feels, never mind his granny? Like most young people, he is probably not really concerned with politics, but just wants to play football.

Which means your real problem is that while you obviously harbour a hatred for all things Norn Iron, there are many more people from a Nationalist background who don't share that hatred, and are quite prepared to play for NI.

And enjoy it!

Edited by Territorial - 07 Dec 2018 at 11:49am
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:51am
This fella wasnt good enough for Dundalk, Rovers or Finn Harps.

Has 4 league goals this season in the Irish League.

I don't think we will miss him!

2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 11:57am
Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

In fairness to Mikey, there's some ability there, he's just a complete head the ball with a bad attitude.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 12:43pm
Originally posted by Tony Cousins Tony Cousins wrote:

Originally posted by Twoinarow Twoinarow wrote:

In fairness to Mikey, there's some ability there, he's just a complete head the ball with a bad attitude.
That certainly seems to be the consensus.

But Ian Baraclough is the manager of NI's U-21's. Might it be that he still has contacts in the LOI from his time at Sligo Rovers and so knows a bit about the player?

If so, maybe O'Neill wants IB to try O'Connor out in the U-21's to see if he can "fix" him, so that he might eventually channel his ability more productively as he grows up?

I'm kinda clutching at straws here, but NI can't afford to discard anyone prematurely and besides, Kyle Lafferty was becoming a (bad) joke for NI when O'Neill took over for instance. 

But for a period of two or three years he managed to get some great performances out of the big galoot, even if he does look to be regressing once more.

Maybe Mental Mickey will be similarly "saveable"?
Tony Cousins View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony Cousins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:07pm

Maybe Mental Mickey will be similarly "saveable"?

I hope so as I have some good memories of him in the hoops, and he's still young enough to grow up.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 2:57pm
This apparent agreement (or relunctance by MON) that we don't approach players born in the six counties has to end.  We are having the Mickey (O'Connor) taken out of us, quite literally.  

Near the top of on Mick and Stephen Kenny's list should be sit down with Conor Hazard and Shayne Lavery and tell them we want them involved and they have a good chance of senior football with us.

Same goes for the next George Saville, Peacock Farrell, Jamal Lewis or Conor Washington - we should at least give these lads the option of declaring for us.  Not just stand aside with our hands in the air.
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

This apparent agreement (or relunctance by MON) that we don't approach players born in the six counties has to end.  We are having the Mickey (O'Connor) taken out of us, quite literally.  

Near the top of on Mick and Stephen Kenny's list should be sit down with Conor Hazard and Shayne Lavery and tell them we want them involved and they have a good chance of senior football with us.

Same goes for the next George Saville, Peacock Farrell, Jamal Lewis or Conor Washington - we should at least give these lads the option of declaring for us.  Not just stand aside with our hands in the air.

Hazard is really the one I'd like to see us get
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2018 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

I can tell you now, LAR, that this "apparent agreement or reluctance" simply does not exist.

I know for a fact that FAI scouts have long been extremely active in approaching players, both in NI and GB (two recent examples, Lee Harkin and - ahem - Peacock Farrell)

Granted Agent Marty was never interested in anyone other than those who might come straight into the senior team and do a job, but that was the story of his entire career in club football, too.

Rather it is Noel King's people who are all over the place - hardly surprising when you consider he is the Head of International Recruitment, allegedly on a bonus for every one he got in.

Of course, he was a helluva sight less bothered if they didn't subsequently make it through the ranks, just so long as he got a signature on the form, which was the actual substance of Michael O'Neill's gripe.

[Which also explains eg why "granny rulers" from England etc often appeared to get preference over youngsters from the 26 i.e. those with no alternatives open to them]

P.S. You had your chance with Mental Mickey and don't appear to want him, so I fail to see how that is "taking the mickey" out of anyone.

Edited by Territorial - 07 Dec 2018 at 4:14pm
connord96 View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote connord96 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 3:10pm
Sean Longstaff on the bench for Newcastle today against Wolves. Could be potentially eligible
mully_85 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mully_85 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:36pm
is Sean an exclusively Irish name?
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:55pm
Longstaff isn't eligible, his background was checked out by the FAI AFAIK.
We're decent enough..
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 5:58pm
Are you telling me the FAI checked on him because he was called Sean and not Shaun?

Even if I could of told you he's as much Geordie as Greggs.
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Are you telling me the FAI checked on him because he was called Sean and not Shaun?

And no Geordies have Irish heritage?  I presume there was more to it than just having an Irish first name. Scotland also enquired.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

And no Geordies have Irish heritage?  I presume there was more to it than just having an Irish first name. Scotland also enquired.

It'd have to be 1 or 2 generations too late if there was any.

His Da played professional Ice Hockey for GB, his Ma played professional Netball for GB so it's definitely not the parents.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 6:42pm
Ever heard of grandparents? LOL
We're decent enough..
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 8:48pm
Kiwi James McGarry At willem 2 is eligible for us. In Europe off the back of an Irish passport. Father played internationally for NZ

According to Transfermarkt (not always reliable) James and John Murphy - with LAFC and NY Red Bull respectively - are both eligible. 
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2018 at 9:26pm

Ever heard of grandparents? LOL

If the Ma and Da are playing for GB there’s hardly any chance that the grandparents will be either Einstein
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 203204205206207 450>
  Share Topic