You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177178179 452>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 7:25pm
Precisely O'Shea.  Diminuitive keeper playing in front of a man and his dog in low-ranked league.  Doesn't scream Peter Cech standards does it?

So can't see what your original objection was.  Lads here trying to discuss the issues and not have the thread go off course with your profoundly stupid off-point comments.

We're still waiting on "O'Shea's Hidden Gems" - international standard players playing for incy-wincy clubs at the age of 25....   Wacko
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 7:27pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Precisely O'Shea.  Diminuitive keeper playing in front of a man and his dog in low-ranked league.  Doesn't scream Peter Cech standards does it?

It does these days.
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 7:28pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

@Luis, 

I'm not dismissing what your saying at all and I actually can see where you're coming from "but" you make the same points over and over on countless threads! This is what's annoying.

How many times have you brought up examples of Wales capping "player x" and Northern Ireland capping "player y" it's beyond repetitive.

As I said, we have benefitted more than most if not anyother nation in regard to the granny rule, you only have to look at how many UK born players are in our underage and senior set up.

This doesn't mean we shouldn't be actively recruiting more UK born players because we should, but surely to God you can see making the same points over and over can wear thin? 

Javier v2
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 7:37pm

Fair enough GD.  

It's just a very obvious point.

It is repetitive in what's happening in football simply because it actually comes up time and time again in what's happening in football.  Rice last week.  Ampadu and a whole host of Irish-eligible lads capped this week with zero effort by us.  

It's a repetitive news cycle which corresponds with our senior team's demise.  Until it's addressed, we can forget about success.

We defo benefitted in the past from the heritage rules, but, uniquely amongst other nations, are slow in using it now.  It's a (in my view, the) key reason why we're falling behind in results.  So I think it's fairly important if you're interested in the Irish senior team.

I disagree completely,

The reason we're falling so far behind is down to the lack of money being pumped into grassroots football be it for the players and the coaches.

We are in essence depending on other countries to develop players for us (not including Irish born players who are brought to England after being scouted) because we don't care enough about developing our own talent and we're just too lazy, we just hope that England or wherever keeps churning out dual nationals that will just come good and pick us.

There's a point in that.  Nobody disagrees in investing in our youth system within the 26 counties. 

However, out of a population of 4m you're only going to ever produce so many PL or top championship players.  That's always been the case and is reflected in all the best Irish teams, which have all been infused by dual-nationality lads, usually chased up very proactively by the likes of Jack and Mick. 

We probably produce more good players for our domestic population than most comparatively sized populations, with odd exceptions like Iceland (an unprecedented statistical freak, supported admittedly by good youth development) and Croatia (also a very unique case).

Do Scotland produce better players within their borders?  I don't think so.  

So to pull us out of being on par with all the other (weak) countries who have populations of 4 m or so, we need to be proactive in using our diaspora.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 7:59pm
This whole thread is becoming a bit unpleasant and personal. Not a fan
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:04pm

So can't see what your original objection was.  Lads here trying to discuss the issues and not have the thread go off course with your profoundly stupid off-point comments.

We're still waiting on "O'Shea's Hidden Gems" - international standard players playing for incy-wincy clubs at the age of 25....   Wacko

What do you mean "precisely", you've never seen him play you chancer LOL He's about 6'0, which isn't a criticism of him, but it may well have influenced bigger clubs opinion of him. I'm not claiming McDermott is world class or anything of the sort; I'm merely ridiculing your utterly ridiculous assertion that the stadium capacity of his club has any bearing whatsoever on his ability.
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

What do you mean "precisely", you've never seen him play you chancer LOL He's about 6'0, which isn't a criticism of him, but it may well have influenced bigger clubs opinion of him. I'm not claiming McDermott is world class or anything of the sort; I'm merely ridiculing your utterly ridiculous assertion that the stadium capacity of his club has any bearing whatsoever on his ability.

It's not complicated O'Shea, and surprised you're persisting with such rubbish. 

For the umpteenth time, how many players do you know who are international-class (for a pot 2 team say) who are playing at teeny clubs of 4,000 capacity stadiums at 25?  

Do you not think that if they are international-class players they'll generally have moved on by the time they're 25?  

Is that so confusing to you, or are you just deliberately wasting everyone's time?

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 09 Sep 2018 at 8:14pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:22pm

Fair enough GD.  

It is repetitive in what's happening in football simply because it actually comes up time and time again in what's happening in football.  Rice last week.  Ampadu and a whole host of Irish-eligible lads capped this week with zero effort by us.  

It's a repetitive news cycle which corresponds with our senior team's demise.  Until it's addressed, we can forget about success.

We defo benefitted in the past from the heritage rules, but, uniquely amongst other nations, are slow in using it now.  It's a (in my view, the) key reason why we're falling behind in results.  So I think it's fairly important if you're interested in the Irish senior team.

I disagree completely,

The reason we're falling so far behind is down to the lack of money being pumped into grassroots football be it for the players and the coaches.

We are in essence depending on other countries to develop players for us (not including Irish born players who are brought to England after being scouted) because we don't care enough about developing our own talent and we're just too lazy, we just hope that England or wherever keeps churning out dual nationals that will just come good and pick us.

There's a point in that.  Nobody disagrees in investing in our youth system within the 26 counties. 

However, out of a population of 4m you're only going to ever produce so many PL or top championship players.  That's always been the case and is reflected in all the best Irish teams, which have all been infused by dual-nationality lads, usually chased up very proactively by the likes of Jack and Mick. 

We probably produce more good players for our domestic population than most comparatively sized populations, with odd exceptions like Iceland (an unprecedented statistical freak, supported admittedly by good youth development) and Croatia (also a very unique case).

So to pull us out of being on par with all the other (weak) countries who have populations of 4 m or so, we need to be proactive in using our diaspora.

GD, just to give credit where it's due, we've had some very strong teams come through at U 17 and U19 for a while now, mostly made up of lads born in the 26 counties (Dan McConnell, I think, recently had an article on this very point in the Indo the other day).

So, we're not as far behind in relation to the population in ROI than sometimes people think.  We're actually producing really good players out of the population available (and always have done).  
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:23pm
You really cannot argue with stupidity, can you? If you can't see how tenuous it is to judge a players ability on something that is completely external to the player himself, you are beyond help. I will ask you one question you may be able for though, in what world is 25 old for a goalkeeper? You're talking as if he's a journeyman in his 30's, but a 25 year old keeper is surely more equivalent to a 21/22 year old outfield player (similar to O'Dowda, for example).
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:35pm

You really cannot argue with stupidity, can you? If you can't see how tenuous it is to judge a players ability on something that is completely external to the player himself, you are beyond help. I will ask you one question you may be able for though, in what world is 25 old for a goalkeeper? You're talking as if he's a journeyman in his 30's, but a 25 year old keeper is surely more equivalent to a 21/22 year old outfield player (similar to O'Dowda, for example).

O'Shea, the club a player plays for at 25 is not "external to the player himself"!  If he's a good player, he'll, generally, be playing with a good club.  That's the inevitable consequence of a relatively free market of players. 

If that's not the case, subject to a small number of exceptions, please enlighten us - for the millionth time - as to who these international class players are that are still playing for miniscule clubs at 25? Who exactly are "O'Shea's Hidden Gems"?  These fabulous players playing for teeny clubs?

Otherwise, please stop wasting our time and taking up space on this thread with unfounded muppetry. 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:45pm
Is he eligible though?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:46pm
We really should have tried to call up Eamon Zayed when he was at Persepolis, shouldn't we? Sure he was playing in front of 80,000 a week. Or maybe Chris McCann should be the first name on our team sheet, he plays in front of 45,000 every week. In fact, lets just stop watching players altogether, and pick them purely based on extraneous factors. Perhaps the value of the car they drive should be included, surely there's a strong correlation with ability there too.
We're decent enough..
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 8:50pm
"He has two Ferraris Darragh, two!"
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:05pm

We really should have tried to call up Eamon Zayed when he was at Persepolis, shouldn't we? Sure he was playing in front of 80,000 a week. Or maybe Chris McCann should be the first name on our team sheet, he plays in front of 45,000 every week. In fact, lets just stop watching players altogether, and pick them purely based on extraneous factors. Perhaps the value of the car they drive should be included, surely there's a strong correlation with ability there too.

You're still wasting our time?  Who are these fabulous players playing in front of 4,000 at 25 years old in a low-ranked league?  

There must be exceptional cases, which deviate from the norm. But you can't even name one.  

Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:09pm
Just name one O'Shea.  Please.  Just one. You can do it.  We know you can.  

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 09 Sep 2018 at 9:11pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:28pm

Just name one O'Shea.  Please.  Just one. You can do it.  We know you can.  

O'Shea, your silence is deafening. 

I think we can all agree that you don't generally find international class players playing for tiny clubs with tiny stadiums at the age of 25.  So please stop the childish carping and trying to find fault in positive contributions people are trying to make on here. Now, let this get back on-thread. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:44pm
Look Luis, justify your quackery to yourself however you want to. Just don't expect anyone else to take it seriously. 
We're decent enough..
The Tribesman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:50pm

Fair enough GD.  

I disagree completely,

GD, just to give credit where it's due, we've had some very strong teams come through at U 17 and U19 for a while now, mostly made up of lads born in the 26 counties (Dan McConnell, I think, recently had an article on this very point in the Indo the other day).

So, we're not as far behind in relation to the population in ROI than sometimes people think.  We're actually producing really good players out of the population available (and always have done).  

We may be producing quality lads at underage levels but these days they will ultimately end up at League 1 and the less fashionable Scottish Premiership Clubs!
We have no real tradition of lads plying their trade at half decent Spanish, Italian, German premiership clubs, why? Language barrier and more money to be made in the lowere English Leagues!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 175176177178179 452>
  Share Topic