FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 400401402403404 452>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 2:26am
Every fecking thread
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Sponsored Links

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2015 at 12:00am
From a purely scientific point of view asking every footballer who could potentially be eligible for Ireland over and over again to play for us until they give an affirmative answer may make sense.

For some of us though 'irrational emotions' such as pride, dignity and honour still have a place when it comes to following our national football team and persisting to try and recruit a player who has made it clear we are their second choice country at best is actually insulting to above irrational feelings.

I think most football fans in most countries in the world would actually share these sentiments, its just sad that in this particular country that sense of pride seems to have been lost by a majority of Ireland supporters who see the ROI shirt as just another club jersey to throw at anybody they can sign up to wear it.

schillaci View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la
I love Scott HULK Hogan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote schillaci Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:13pm
Originally posted by Bohsfan84 Bohsfan84 wrote:

I'm sure I'm not the only person that doesn't see the logic in going with our hand begging to a player that has shown his lack of commitment once before already.

He wants to play for England. 

If he wants to play for Ireland again because England don't want him let him approach the FAI. 

Isn't that the recommendable approach?

He's played 4 games for Wolves. It would be ridiculous to have him come in and take the place of somebody who wants it and has worked for it.

Let him play some games and show some level of commitment. Have some bloody pride in ourselves for once.

I have no problem picking the best players, regardless of all loyalty. If someone like Jamie Vardy on a hot run of form decides in May that he wants to play for Ireland then Shane Long would be on the bench in France.
Doyler1993 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Doyler1993 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 8:10pm
Its not begging though, its just asking him a simple question if he wants to play for Ireland or not. If he says no leave it there and move on, if he says yes he is another option for the manager to pick from. I dont think anyone is calling for him to be included in the first team but no harm getting him to swap over and tying him to us and see how he develops. If he becomes a decent player we have another option to pick from and if he doesnt progress as expected so what. England are doing this at all their underage age groups by picking kids with dual nationalities to try and build their options for the future, even wales done it with a 16 year old when england started sniffing around. This is the way football has gone with the movement of people around the world and it means you have to be quicker off the mark to get a player as they could be eligible for 2 or 3 other countries.
IT’S NO USE BOILING YOUR CABBAGE TWICE
Bohsfan84 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohsfan84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 7:15pm
I'm sure I'm not the only person that doesn't see the logic in going with our hand begging to a player that has shown his lack of commitment once before already.

He wants to play for England. 

If he wants to play for Ireland again because England don't want him let him approach the FAI. 

Isn't that the recommendable approach?

He's played 4 games for Wolves. It would be ridiculous to have him come in and take the place of somebody who wants it and has worked for it.

Let him play some games and show some level of commitment. Have some bloody pride in ourselves for once.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 6:27pm
Ridiculous comparison indeed

We all know he would go to Rovers and not bohs
Devrozex View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Devrozex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 4:55pm
Bizarre comparison alright. There is a realistic chance of this chap being interested in playing for Ireland (seeing as he has done previously) whereas clearly there is no realistic chance of Ronaldo going to Bohs.

Anyway players should always be scoped out and their interest levels gauged. With even the likes of England casting their net far and wide these days it would be silly for us to not do likewise. It's all about having options at the end of the day.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 4:48pm
Ridiculous comparison, but yes, there is no downside to doing it and if they wanted to I doubt anyone would get too upset.

Graham etc. are eligible for Ireland, and in his particular case has played for Ireland before. He'd be a good edition to our U-21 squad and we'd be foolhardy in the extreme to not at least ask him if he wants to play for us.
We're decent enough..
Bohsfan84 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bohsfan84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Call him up if he's good enough & keen.

Exactly, some people act like it's an insult to their brave Republican ancestors when we ask an English-born guy if he'd like to play for us. In truth it's a no-lose situation, if they say yes that's great and if they say no then it's no skin off our back. There is literally no logical downside whatsoever to asking, it cost's us nothing whatever their answer is.

There is no logical downside to Bohemians asking Cristiano Ronaldo if he wants to sign for them. Doesn't mean they should do it.
depechemode View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote depechemode Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by 35 pages 35 pages wrote:

We have enough Irish lads to pick from than waiting to see if a lad who played for Ireland then England and now see if he comes back againDead

Agree 100%

AbuAbu View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AbuAbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 3:50pm
O'kane doesn't seem to be getting much of a look in at club level so I am wondering why the big clamor for him to get a shot in the friendlies. Of course not playing first team doesn't rule him out given our slender resources ........... i haven't seen him play so i am not knocking the guy as Miriam would say i am GENUINELY just wondering!
It's not me it's you:-)
Godot View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2015 at 1:52pm
Arter and Judge are the big two that needs more game-time in the friendlies  

O'Kane doesn't seem as  important to Bournemouth as Arter

The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 11:57pm
And the emotional arguments rear their head again... Ask Graham and everyone else like him. It doesn't mean they have to get a call-up straight away to our senior or even underage squads, but ask them and see what they have to say. There's no rational reason why you wouldn't seek to maximise your potential resources, and the only way for us to do that is to ask these guys if they're open to representing us.
We're decent enough..
savo01 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote savo01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 10:12pm

I've no problem with English born players playing for us especially one who has already played for us underage.

We have Alan Judge, Eunan O'Kane, Harry Arter etc who have a grand total of 1 cap between them and these 3 are the guys we should be looking at before hinting at calling up a young lad with 5 games in The Championship......
[/QUOTE]
Agreed Green Devil. I've no issue calling up anyone from anywhere but there's a lot in front of him for a start. And I don't believe it would be fair or good for our existing underage squads that we go chasing a lad who's left our underage set up for something they perceive to be better. We have to be careful with this as we really could end up being "Englund B" .
Jackie Charlton, Eoin Hand
Johnny Giles. Ireland
Mick McCarthy, Stephen Staunton
Cascarino
Tony Galvin, Niall Quinn
Packie doesn't let em in
North of Ireland
South of Ireland
Only one can go
35 pages View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

TNC Racist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 pages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 10:11pm
We have enough Irish lads to pick from than waiting to see if a lad who played for Ireland then England and now see if he comes back againDead
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 10:05pm
Originally posted by 35 pages 35 pages wrote:

We should have some respect for ourselves, and our jersey.

I've no problem with English born players playing for us especially one who has already played for us underage.

We have Alan Judge, Eunan O'Kane, Harry Arter etc who have a grand total of 1 cap between them and these 3 are the guys we should be looking at before hinting at calling up a young lad with 5 games in The Championship......
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
35 pages View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

TNC Racist

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 35 pages Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 9:59pm
We should have some respect for ourselves, and our jersey.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2015 at 9:53pm
Originally posted by grannyrule grannyrule wrote:

Call him up if he's good enough & keen.

He hasn't even played 10 matches in The Championship lets not get ahead of ourselves.

Lets call a spade a spade the Irish under 21 squad would be more suitable for him at the moment. 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 400401402403404 452>
  Share Topic