FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 271272273274275 450>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 6:39pm
Hazaard saves a peno for the North another one that got aesy 
Sponsored Links

zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 6:05pm
2 - 0 up away to Spain..some result if they can hold out 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 6:01pm
Shayne Lavery jusy scored to put the north u21s 1 up against Spain then Smyth wins a peno to help make it 2 nil. These 2 plus Gavin Whyte are exactly the type of players MON should be targeting but isnt as he has an agreement in place with Michael O'Neill. Joke.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 11 Sep 2018 at 6:01pm
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:31am
Originally posted by amccarten313 amccarten313 wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Stephen O'Donnell set to start competitively for Scotland tonight. I've never really seen him play, anyone know if he'd have been any use?

was he eligible ? dont recall seeing anything and didnt see anything on his wiki. moot point now but apparently he played well tn

He was. Looked decent tonight tbf to him.
We're decent enough..
grannyrule View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grannyrule Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:27am
We never needed this lad anyway. We already had Coleman, Christie and Doherty to fill in that position. 
The only way is up
amccarten313 View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amccarten313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 1:23am

Stephen O'Donnell set to start competitively for Scotland tonight. I've never really seen him play, anyone know if he'd have been any use?

was he eligible ? dont recall seeing anything and didnt see anything on his wiki. moot point now but apparently he played well tn
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2018 at 12:49am

Killie only average around five thousand and he is 26.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 7:08pm
We're decent enough..
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 3:10am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Is he international class though? If someone wanted to stop this silliness all they would have had to do is mention Jamie Vardy, but there would have been no fun in that.

Haha, fair fooks. Clap

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 10 Sep 2018 at 3:20am
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Sep 2018 at 12:05am
Is he international class though? If someone wanted to stop this silliness all they would have had to do is mention Jamie Vardy, but there would have been no fun in that.
engpad View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote engpad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 11:02pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Just name one O'Shea.  Please.  Just one. You can do it.  We know you can.  

O'Shea, your silence is deafening. 

I think we can all agree that you don't generally find international class players playing for tiny clubs with tiny stadiums at the age of 25.  So please stop the childish carping and trying to find fault in positive contributions people are trying to make on here. Now, let this get back on-thread. 

Sorry for carrying on this pointless argument... but... Graham Burke whilst at Rovers?
The Tribesman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:58pm
Originally posted by coyne coyne wrote:

Originally posted by The Tribesman The Tribesman wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Fair enough GD.  

It's just a very obvious point.

It is repetitive in what's happening in football simply because it actually comes up time and time again in what's happening in football.  Rice last week.  Ampadu and a whole host of Irish-eligible lads capped this week with zero effort by us.  

It's a repetitive news cycle which corresponds with our senior team's demise.  Until it's addressed, we can forget about success.

We defo benefitted in the past from the heritage rules, but, uniquely amongst other nations, are slow in using it now.  It's a (in my view, the) key reason why we're falling behind in results.  So I think it's fairly important if you're interested in the Irish senior team.

I disagree completely,

The reason we're falling so far behind is down to the lack of money being pumped into grassroots football be it for the players and the coaches.

We are in essence depending on other countries to develop players for us (not including Irish born players who are brought to England after being scouted) because we don't care enough about developing our own talent and we're just too lazy, we just hope that England or wherever keeps churning out dual nationals that will just come good and pick us.

There's a point in that.  Nobody disagrees in investing in our youth system within the 26 counties. 

However, out of a population of 4m you're only going to ever produce so many PL or top championship players.  That's always been the case and is reflected in all the best Irish teams, which have all been infused by dual-nationality lads, usually chased up very proactively by the likes of Jack and Mick. 

We probably produce more good players for our domestic population than most comparatively sized populations, with odd exceptions like Iceland (an unprecedented statistical freak, supported admittedly by good youth development) and Croatia (also a very unique case).

Do Scotland produce better players within their borders?  I don't think so.  

So to pull us out of being on par with all the other (weak) countries who have populations of 4 m or so, we need to be proactive in using our diaspora.

GD, just to give credit where it's due, we've had some very strong teams come through at U 17 and U19 for a while now, mostly made up of lads born in the 26 counties (Dan McConnell, I think, recently had an article on this very point in the Indo the other day).

So, we're not as far behind in relation to the population in ROI than sometimes people think.  We're actually producing really good players out of the population available (and always have done).  

We may be producing quality lads at underage levels but these days they will ultimately end up at League 1 and the less fashionable Scottish Premiership Clubs!
We have no real tradition of lads plying their trade at half decent Spanish, Italian, German premiership clubs, why? Language barrier and more money to be made in the lowere English Leagues!

Errrrr.. I think you're badly overestimating the average weekly wage of a League 1 footballer. Aside from the 2 freak cases in League 1 which is Jamie O'Hara and the legacy Sunderland players, the average League 1 player doesn't even get a salary of £300,000. Which is less than £8,000 a week.

The problem with League 1 and Scottish Football isn't the money, it's the fact both leagues favour long ball games, possession football is literally non-existent, even Celtic have struggled at that with some of the dross they've produced this season. And it doesn't really reflect well on the National team if the only system he's used to is pumping it forward hitting and hoping

Yes, that's the issue along with playing before smaller crowds! An Irish Lad playing for a low/mid tier club in Ligue1. Siere A. La Prima Liga, Bundesliga 1, Eredivisie even in Belgium or Portugal Premierships would get a far better footballing education and be challenged more than at a League 1 club or an Unfashionable Scottish Premiership Club!
Would a player in the lower reaches of the other main Premierships be on €8K per week? Unlikely!
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by The Tribesman The Tribesman wrote:

Fair enough GD.  

It is repetitive in what's happening in football simply because it actually comes up time and time again in what's happening in football.  Rice last week.  Ampadu and a whole host of Irish-eligible lads capped this week with zero effort by us.  

It's a repetitive news cycle which corresponds with our senior team's demise.  Until it's addressed, we can forget about success.

We defo benefitted in the past from the heritage rules, but, uniquely amongst other nations, are slow in using it now.  It's a (in my view, the) key reason why we're falling behind in results.  So I think it's fairly important if you're interested in the Irish senior team.

I disagree completely,

The reason we're falling so far behind is down to the lack of money being pumped into grassroots football be it for the players and the coaches.

We are in essence depending on other countries to develop players for us (not including Irish born players who are brought to England after being scouted) because we don't care enough about developing our own talent and we're just too lazy, we just hope that England or wherever keeps churning out dual nationals that will just come good and pick us.

There's a point in that.  Nobody disagrees in investing in our youth system within the 26 counties. 

However, out of a population of 4m you're only going to ever produce so many PL or top championship players.  That's always been the case and is reflected in all the best Irish teams, which have all been infused by dual-nationality lads, usually chased up very proactively by the likes of Jack and Mick. 

We probably produce more good players for our domestic population than most comparatively sized populations, with odd exceptions like Iceland (an unprecedented statistical freak, supported admittedly by good youth development) and Croatia (also a very unique case).

So to pull us out of being on par with all the other (weak) countries who have populations of 4 m or so, we need to be proactive in using our diaspora.

GD, just to give credit where it's due, we've had some very strong teams come through at U 17 and U19 for a while now, mostly made up of lads born in the 26 counties (Dan McConnell, I think, recently had an article on this very point in the Indo the other day).

So, we're not as far behind in relation to the population in ROI than sometimes people think.  We're actually producing really good players out of the population available (and always have done).  

We may be producing quality lads at underage levels but these days they will ultimately end up at League 1 and the less fashionable Scottish Premiership Clubs!
We have no real tradition of lads plying their trade at half decent Spanish, Italian, German premiership clubs, why? Language barrier and more money to be made in the lowere English Leagues!

Errrrr.. I think you're badly overestimating the average weekly wage of a League 1 footballer. Aside from the 2 freak cases in League 1 which is Jamie O'Hara and the legacy Sunderland players, the average League 1 player doesn't even get a salary of £300,000. Which is less than £8,000 a week.

The problem with League 1 and Scottish Football isn't the money, it's the fact both leagues favour long ball games, possession football is literally non-existent, even Celtic have struggled at that with some of the dross they've produced this season. And it doesn't really reflect well on the National team if the only system he's used to is pumping it forward hitting and hoping
The Tribesman View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Tribesman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:50pm

Fair enough GD.  

I disagree completely,

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:44pm
Look Luis, justify your quackery to yourself however you want to. Just don't expect anyone else to take it seriously. 
We're decent enough..
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:28pm

O'Shea, your silence is deafening. 

I think we can all agree that you don't generally find international class players playing for tiny clubs with tiny stadiums at the age of 25.  So please stop the childish carping and trying to find fault in positive contributions people are trying to make on here. Now, let this get back on-thread. 
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:09pm

Edited by Luis Amor Rodriguez - 09 Sep 2018 at 9:11pm
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2018 at 9:05pm

We really should have tried to call up Eamon Zayed when he was at Persepolis, shouldn't we? Sure he was playing in front of 80,000 a week. Or maybe Chris McCann should be the first name on our team sheet, he plays in front of 45,000 every week. In fact, lets just stop watching players altogether, and pick them purely based on extraneous factors. Perhaps the value of the car they drive should be included, surely there's a strong correlation with ability there too.

You're still wasting our time?  Who are these fabulous players playing in front of 4,000 at 25 years old in a low-ranked league?  

There must be exceptional cases, which deviate from the norm. But you can't even name one.  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 271272273274275 450>
  Share Topic