FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Players eligible for Ireland

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 250251252253254 451>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 10:16pm
Cheers T.  Noel King's infamous persuasion skills work again clearly.  

Would have been good to see someone a little more senior and with more authority approach BPF, given he was Leeds' first choice keeper.  Having Noel King approach him is more likely to put him off, if King's record with numerous players at u21 level is anything to go by, with loads of lads alienated from the squad over the years.   
Sponsored Links

Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 8:51pm
Originally posted by Luis Amor Rodriguez Luis Amor Rodriguez wrote:

Cheers NIGW.  

Where are you getting that info from on Lewis and Peacock Farrell?  That's interesting and surprising that you say the FAI were in touch.

There are numerous interviews reported with both of them saying that they were approached by the IFA and the (English) FA, but no mention of FAI.  Which would be odd, if indeed they were approached by the FAI, and were then being asked about their eligibility choices to just not mention it at all.

Genuinely interested - where are you getting that information from that they were both approached by the FAI?  

Would love it if they were, but all the publicly available evidence at least points in the other direction.  They never mentioned it when asked about the topic, and no one from the FAI has ever mentioned it.
Born in England north of Leeds, but with an Irish grandfather from Enniskillen – Jim Farrell – Peacock-Farrell also qualifies for the Republic of Ireland. Indeed, Noel King from the FAI has been on asking similar questions to his English counterparts. King received similar answers.

“Last year, it was,” Peacock-Farrell says.

“Noel King. Again, it was a chat to see where I was, how I was feeling.

“I just said: ‘Look, I’m with Northern Ireland. I’ve played the [under-21] game and I don’t feel like I want to switch.’

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/proud-bailey-peacock-farrell-embraces-his-northern-roots-1.3621851

https://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soccer/proud-bailey-peacock-farrell-embraces-his-northern-roots-1.3621851

Meanwhile, I don't know about Lewis, but this suggests he would not have been receptive to any approach:

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/international/i-was-always-going-to-choose-northern-ireland-over-england-jamal-lewis-36726672.html

As for the "gentlemans agreement", there definitely was one in operation for many years, but it has clearly been ditched for a decade or more. Had I the time, I could provide evidence/examples.

Anyhow, this is just a flying visit - Life (as ever) continues to intrude etc.

P.S. A previous browse suggested that I had stopped posting because I had been "handed my ass" by yer man from Dungannon (SuperDave?) and Danny I (unsure?). Anyhow, that was hardly my recollection, but if anyone has the time or inclination to dig it out re-post them and I might get round to replying - no promises, mind.

NIGreenWall View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIGreenWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 4:28pm

Cheers NIGW.  

Where are you getting that info from on Lewis and Peacock Farrell?  That's interesting and surprising that you say the FAI were in touch.

There are numerous interviews reported with both of them saying that they were approached by the IFA and the (English) FA, but no mention of FAI.  Which would be odd, if indeed they were approached by the FAI, and were then being asked about their eligibility choices to just not mention it at all.

Genuinely interested - where are you getting that information from that they were both approached by the FAI?  

Would love it if they were, but all the publicly available evidence at least points in the other direction.  They never mentioned it when asked about the topic, and no one from the FAI has ever mentioned it.

Lewis was asked in a tv interview about his other eligibility options, England, ROI etc he said that he felt as NI had picked him from he was 17 that he felt a loyalty to the IFA and that feelers had been put out from other associations but he wasn't interested in playing for anyone else.

Peacock-Farrell did an interview with the Irish News saying he was contacted by Noel King.
Luis Amor Rodriguez View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luis Amor Rodriguez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by NIGreenWall NIGreenWall wrote:

Thought Jamal Lewis was outstanding at left-back for NI last week.  Put in a better display than any left-back in green has at the Aviva for a very long time. 

Saville was also irritatingly good in midfield; and there's a fairly good chance he'll be playing in the PL this time next year.

Amazing that neither were approached at any level to consider their options with us.  

More potential players seemingly entirely ignored.  Until we sort out our recruitment, we're always going to be weak.  

And whatever weird "gentlemen's agreement" of whatever nature that seems to be going on whereby we can't approach NI-eligible players, but they can have free dibs on ours, needs to be scrapped pronto.

I see you regularly complaining that the FAI aren't approaching players with connections to NI, as a NI supporter I really wish that was the case but i can tell you they most definitely are, but they are in most cases being knocked back, so they aren't going to embarrass themselves and publicly admit it.

Lewis was contacted by the FAI but he felt a loyalty to NI, the same with Peacock-Farrell, Saville wasn't approached because no-one thought he was eligible for anyone other than England, he had no idea himself that his granny was from Fermanagh, it was a fluke conversation between a NI supporter and I believe Saville's uncle that brought this information to light, two weeks later he was called into the NI squad.

In the last approx 12 to 18 months, across the various age groups you have called up Lee Harkin born in NI, Anselmo Garcia McNulty his mum is from Belfast, Mark McGuinness through a NI born grandparent, Michael Duffy is switching to you and i believe there is another as yet unnamed player who has spoken to Michael O'Neill about switching. There is no gentleman's agreement in place.

Cheers NIGW.  

Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 2:16pm
Originally posted by lassassinblanc lassassinblanc wrote:

Supposedly the FAI have looked into whether or not Sean Longstaff (Newcastle player) is eligible.
Talk that his grandparents may be of Scottish or Irish decent.
Literally on the basis that his name was Sean presumably. The classic YBIG strategy of international footballer talent identification! Not elligible anyway
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 1:16pm
Supposedly the FAI have looked into whether or not Sean Longstaff (Newcastle player) is eligible.
Talk that his grandparents may be of Scottish or Irish decent.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 4:54am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

Originally posted by corkery corkery wrote:

Originally posted by The O'Shea The O'Shea wrote:

Michael O'Connor, who's had a good start to the season for Linfield, is reportedly going to declare for NI. Still only 20.
I wouldn't have anyone ever play for Ireland that played for Linfield. Linfield hate everything about us. 

They just appointed Pat Fenlon as their GM

Rates it as the best club he played for.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
NIGreenWall View Drop Down
Phil Babb
Phil Babb

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NIGreenWall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 12:17am

Thought Jamal Lewis was outstanding at left-back for NI last week.  Put in a better display than any left-back in green has at the Aviva for a very long time. 

Saville was also irritatingly good in midfield; and there's a fairly good chance he'll be playing in the PL this time next year.

Amazing that neither were approached at any level to consider their options with us.  

More potential players seemingly entirely ignored.  Until we sort out our recruitment, we're always going to be weak.  

And whatever weird "gentlemen's agreement" of whatever nature that seems to be going on whereby we can't approach NI-eligible players, but they can have free dibs on ours, needs to be scrapped pronto.

I see you regularly complaining that the FAI aren't approaching players with connections to NI, as a NI supporter I really wish that was the case but i can tell you they most definitely are, but they are in most cases being knocked back, so they aren't going to embarrass themselves and publicly admit it.

Lewis was contacted by the FAI but he felt a loyalty to NI, the same with Peacock-Farrell, Saville wasn't approached because no-one thought he was eligible for anyone other than England, he had no idea himself that his granny was from Fermanagh, it was a fluke conversation between a NI supporter and I believe Saville's uncle that brought this information to light, two weeks later he was called into the NI squad.

In the last approx 12 to 18 months, across the various age groups you have called up Lee Harkin born in NI, Anselmo Garcia McNulty his mum is from Belfast, Mark McGuinness through a NI born grandparent, Michael Duffy is switching to you and i believe there is another as yet unnamed player who has spoken to Michael O'Neill about switching. There is no gentleman's agreement in place.
Conan View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan
I’m not very bright.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Conan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2018 at 12:15am

Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

O'Neill still trying to muddy up the Obafemi situation, saying that "he thinks" he's now committed. No Martin, you really should know rather than just "think", he couldn't have been much more explicit....

He was also dismissive of the idea that he should have capped Rice competitively, saying that it would have been tantamount to "entrapment" LOL He really is an some idiot...

O'Neill aside im not gone on the idea of capping someone either just to have them tied to us. It just dosent seem right. Im sure there are plenty for it and against it. The rules should be changed so this type of thing does not get out of hand and that would settle it.

That's not what we're doing though, we're offering a cap and its up to the player to accept/reject it. To suggest putting Rice on against Moldova (when he was playing quite regularly for West Ham) would have been "entrapment" is laughable, and completely disregards Rice's agency in the whole situation. 

The real issue is that MON doesn't give a fiddlers about the future of the team; he's here to pick up his bloated check and anything beyond that doesn't enter his thinking. If Rice was willing, there's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't have been introduced against Moldova, for MON to simply dismiss the idea is symptomatic of his inability to acknowledge poor decisions on his part.
Were you saying that at the time though that he should be capped? Nobody was however they might want to come across now, he'd played very few games and there were central defenders deservedly ahead of him in the queue at the time.
The O'Shea View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I know everything and I’m NEVER wrong

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 10:30pm
Originally posted by Dugs Dugs wrote:

O'Neill still trying to muddy up the Obafemi situation, saying that "he thinks" he's now committed. No Martin, you really should know rather than just "think", he couldn't have been much more explicit....

He was also dismissive of the idea that he should have capped Rice competitively, saying that it would have been tantamount to "entrapment" LOL He really is an some idiot...

O'Neill aside im not gone on the idea of capping someone either just to have them tied to us. It just dosent seem right. Im sure there are plenty for it and against it. The rules should be changed so this type of thing does not get out of hand and that would settle it.

That's not what we're doing though, we're offering a cap and its up to the player to accept/reject it. To suggest putting Rice on against Moldova (when he was playing quite regularly for West Ham) would have been "entrapment" is laughable, and completely disregards Rice's agency in the whole situation. 

The real issue is that MON doesn't give a fiddlers about the future of the team; he's here to pick up his bloated check and anything beyond that doesn't enter his thinking. If Rice was willing, there's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't have been introduced against Moldova, for MON to simply dismiss the idea is symptomatic of his inability to acknowledge poor decisions on his part.
We're decent enough..
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Michael O'Connor, who's had a good start to the season for Linfield, is reportedly going to declare for NI. Still only 20.
I wouldn't have anyone ever play for Ireland that played for Linfield. Linfield hate everything about us. 

What's a GM?  Is he genetically modified?
Baseball have that?
'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:52pm

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:50pm
Originally posted by Trap junior Trap junior wrote:

Unlikely, GM was established to make things bigger...
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:49pm

We're decent enough..
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:36pm

Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
MC Hammered View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:26pm

El Puto Amo
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The O'Shea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:18pm
Just because Linfield "hate us" hardly means O'Connor does, does it? LOLDanny Kearns plays for Linfield and he jumped through all sorts of hoops to get the chance to play for us ffs...
We're decent enough..
corkery View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote corkery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Nov 2018 at 9:06pm

'The younger generation as in 17 -25 are certainly gayer than their predecessors. I think they may cause the extinction of the human race with their activities.'- Baldrick
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 250251252253254 451>
  Share Topic