You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Exactly 1 year ago

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Exactly 1 year ago
    Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 7:40pm
I was standing arm in arm with my friends & my father singing Amhrann na bhian in the municipal stadium in Poznan. It was the highlight of a memorable trip & it's hard to believe it is a year ago already.
Sponsored Links

theheff1989 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
My name badge won a prize

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote theheff1989 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 7:47pm
One quick year, killer result that night, still hard to think about it.
FREEWHEELER View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
sPICE UP YOUR LIFE Gwan MONROY

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEWHEELER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 7:55pm
Eh, the Croatia game was the 10th lads!
We'll never die, we'll never die, we'll keep the Green Flag flying high......Shamrock Rovers will never die, we'll keep the Green Flag Flying high. 19 Leagues and 25 Cups.....
Steve Amsterdam View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
I love buses

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Amsterdam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 8:02pm
Think you mean that on the Sunday (so exactly 52 weeks ago) you were in the stadium Wink

Great memories!
Molly Malone's pub- The home of YBIG in Amsterdam!
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 8:02pm
Originally posted by FREEWHEELER FREEWHEELER wrote:

Eh, the Croatia game was the 10th lads!

It was on the Sunday night though, it was this day 1 year ago. Ha a blast on the Saturday & the Sunday afternoon, had some of the best times of my life on that trip. Would love to do it all again.
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 8:16pm
What a shambles that night turned out to be, completely outplayed throughout the game, had high hopes before though!

Skipper View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 8:40pm
Game was a let down but the CRAIC was amazing.....  Its such a shame that our home games dont have the same intensity.
Stephen Irelands Superman Jocks!!
Sono View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Inspector Gadget

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 8:54pm
Bumping into you was a downer skip

BabbsBalls View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabbsBalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 9:10pm
Probably the best feeling I have ever had going into that stadium . Gutted leaving. The Euros were over before they began .
l hear you are a racist now, father ?
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 9:13pm
I waited 10 years for the boys in green (I was a student when we were in Japan), f**king up one disappointing qualifying campaign after another.

The performance of the squad and results ruined the whole trip for me. I still look back at it in disgust...

Edited by colemanY2K - 09 Jun 2013 at 9:15pm
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Skipper View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by Sono Sono wrote:

Bumping into you was a downer skip

that was some night, when we stayed up your way....my everlastng  memeroy will be you and pep guardiola and when the lads smashed a glass they wanted us to pay for it!!!!
Skipper View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Skipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I waited 10 years for this trip (I was a student when we were in Japan). The performance of the squad and results ruined the whole trip for me. I still look back at it in disgust...

I was in the same boat as yourself Coleman but if you leave the results aside, as fans we did our job and I looked at it as a holiday in which every day we watched football, drank and had a blast. 

The results were sh*te, the team played well well below par but we also thought we would win the fookin thing.

Dont let the results be your memory from the trip and remember one lad didnt make it home. So if you want to talk about a ruined trip image the mates of James Nolan.

Tournys are like games ya do well in some and not so well in others.
bundy View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by Skipper Skipper wrote:

Originally posted by colemanY2K colemanY2K wrote:

I waited 10 years for this trip (I was a student when we were in Japan). The performance of the squad and results ruined the whole trip for me. I still look back at it in disgust...

I was in the same boat as yourself Coleman but if you leave the results aside, as fans we did our job and I looked at it as a holiday in which every day we watched football, drank and had a blast. 

The results were sh*te, the team played well well below par but we also thought we would win the fookin thing.

Dont let the results be your memory from the trip and remember one lad didnt make it home. So if you want to talk about a ruined trip image the mates of James Nolan.

Tournys are like games ya do well in some and not so well in others.

For me, the results were half expected. We were owed a hiding after the luck we had in qualifying. I think the majority of people thought we'd get past Croatia, get hammered by Spain & get a draw or maybe beat Italy. I think just seeing Ireland score in the Croatia game made the trip for me.

I think what happened James Nolan soured an awful lot of lads experiences last year, it was such a downer coming home to the news that he had gone missing. I remember arriving home & nobody asked about the results they all just said they were relieved to see us home safely. Last summer will be remembered so fondly yet it will always be associated with what happened that poor chap & what his family & friends have had to deal with.
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 10:15pm
Just pulling into Camp Male Miasto out in the shticksssss!
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 10:29pm
Got off the 8.5hr train from Krakow to Poznan about four hours previous, checked into the hostel overlooking the square and out and about having a few more pints. Good times.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2013 at 11:10pm
Even though the results were a hugh let down I would to do it all again. I was shaking with the nerves two hours before kickoff and hope we wont have to wait a long time to experience a major tournament again
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2013 at 12:59pm
Exactly a year ago today we were on the polskibus from Berlin to Poznan mulling over the fact a draw wouldn't be a good result and that we d want to be beating Croatia that night.

Still was the best two weeks of my life.Sun sex and watching your country at a major tournament.unbelievable memories
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic