Europa League winners to get a CL place

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
colemanY2K View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
Fresh minty breath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote colemanY2K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Europa League winners to get a CL place
    Posted: 24 May 2013 at 7:29am
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Originally posted by fear-glas fear-glas wrote:

Any team that finishes 4th in their league doesn't deserve to qualify based on that performance. 

FA cup winners should also get a CL place IMO. Teams that actually win something should be rewarded more than a team that was 4th best. 

Football is losing its way, the Arsenal celebrations at the St. James Park (oops Sports direct arena) were  a bit embarrassing. Football has become obsessed with finances.

f**king yes!!!

1st and 2nd place get Champions League, other two places go to League and FA Cup winners, that would make things far more interesting

Although not totally it would be more in keeping with the name of the competition. Imagine Wigan in the Champions League
"One of the dominant facts in English life during the past three quarters of a century has been the decay of ability in the ruling class." Orwell, 1942.
Sponsored Links

GreenArmy! View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenArmy! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:31pm
Originally posted by MayoMark MayoMark wrote:

Any team that finishes 4th in their league doesn't deserve to qualify based on that performance. 

FA cup winners should also get a CL place IMO. Teams that actually win something should be rewarded more than a team that was 4th best. 

Football is losing its way, the Arsenal celebrations at the St. James Park (oops Sports direct arena) were  a bit embarrassing. Football has become obsessed with finances.

f**king yes!!!

1st and 2nd place get Champions League, other two places go to League and FA Cup winners, that would make things far more interesting
Would make teams care more about the FA cup again aswell.
SuperDave84 View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
ooh Thomas, how could you do this to me!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Think it's a great idea but what happens if team that wins the Europa league qualifiers through the league, does the losing finalist get the place or just means teams don't get pushed out?

Not clear. But I imagine the winners would just be made automatic group stage qualifiers, with no extra place as such (just that it would affect other teams - it would have an effect on those who have to take part in playoffs etc).
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 10:16pm
Think it's a great idea but what happens if team that wins the Europa league qualifiers through the league, does the losing finalist get the place or just means teams don't get pushed out?
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 9:53pm

f**king yes!!!

They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
Denis Irwin View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Stay Home & watch Lethal Weapon

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 9:50pm
My mistake I realise you're only posting up the winners who would have qualified anyway Embarrassed
Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Bill O'Herlihy: Ah ye can't be saying that now Eamonn
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 9:49pm

Did CSKA not win it more recently than 10 years ago ?

Eamonn Dunphy:"I'll tell you who wrote it, Rod Liddle, he's the guy who ran away and left his wife for a young one".

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 9:46pm
Originally posted by newrynyuk newrynyuk wrote:

And also if the Europa League winners get a Champions League spot, won't that mean somebody somewhere else loses theirs?  How will this be decided?

It will presumably just push some teams into playoffs, or into earlier rounds, something like that. It's not removing teams, it's just pushing some back, I imagine.

And a lot of the time I imagine the Europa League winner will qualify anyway.

2013 winners: Chelsea, qualified for the CL anyway
2011 winners: Porto, qualified for the CL anyway
2009 winners: Shakhtar, qualified for the CL anyway
2008 winners: Zenit, qualified for the CL anyway
2007 winners: Sevilla, qualified for the CL anyway
2004 winners: Valencia, qualified for the CL anyway
2003 winners: Porto, qualified for the CL anyway

Then again, a lot of them wouldn't have qualified for the *group stage* directly, which is what winning the europa league will presumably get you. I didn't look back past '03.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 9:13pm
And also if the Europa League winners get a Champions League spot, won't that mean somebody somewhere else loses theirs?  How will this be decided?
Guests View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:53pm

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:20pm
Originally posted by Denis Irwin Denis Irwin wrote:

Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

It's an interesting development alright.

I presume it will be the same as before - there's no issue so long as there are no more than four teams from the one nation.

The odd thing would be if both the Champions League and Europa League winners came from the same country and finished lower than fourth in a big three nation. Very unlikely, but it could lead to a team in third not qualifying either.

There'll be five teams in the event a teams wins the Europa League but doesn't finish the CL places in their domestic league. Status quo remains  in the even of a team winning the CL but not finishing in their leagues CL places AFAIK

Sorry, yeah, I just saw that on the guardian website.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by SuperDave84 SuperDave84 wrote:

I presume it will be the same as before - there's no issue so long as there are no more than four teams from the one nation.

The odd thing would be if both the Champions League and Europa League winners came from the same country and finished lower than fourth in a big three nation. Very unlikely, but it could lead to a team in third not qualifying either.

There'll be five teams in the event a teams wins the Europa League but doesn't finish the CL places in their domestic league. Status quo remains  in the even of a team winning the CL but not finishing in their leagues CL places AFAIK

Edited by Denis Irwin - 23 May 2013 at 8:17pm

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SuperDave84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:10pm

Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Denis Irwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:07pm
If the Europa League winners aren't in the top 4 in their domestic league then that country will have 5 teams in the CL. say for Example Spurs win it next season (I know it doesn't start next season) but again finish outide the top 4 they would qualify for the CL as Europa league winners but won't qualify at the expense of the 4th place team as happend to them last year when Chelsea won the CL so England would then have 5 teams in the following seasons CL

Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 8:03pm
It is an inferior competitionConfused Its not a secret.

Finally a bit of common sense, but only common sense presuming they're going to allow the extra team in with it having no impact on the rest of the qualfied teams in the respective league.
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 7:53pm
As it says in the article, this will only work if UEFA allow 5 teams per country into the Champions League.  What if the Europa League winners finish outside of the top 4 in their domestic league?  Would the 4th placed team be demoted into the Europa League to make way?

And by awarding a Champions League place to the Europa League winners, UEFA are pretty much admitting that the Europa League is an inferior competition, are they not?
MayoMark View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
The NEW angrier Freewheeler

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MayoMark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 7:46pm
Common sense, absolutely.
They finally did it man... They killed my f**kin' car...
newrynyuk View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newrynyuk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2013 at 7:40pm
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic