You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 138>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

How? It's the truth. Unless Irish football is doing well in Europe - then we can forget about it. 

Take off the blinkers.

I reluctantly agree with Kearney on this, LOI has been very poorly managed from the top and in many ways resembles amateur football.

Yes, there are some good players but they are also on the pitch with some, not so good players.

The good players there need to be pushed to the limits of their ability and sadly that means the english league (or other but generally england)
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I don't care what anyone says > a player starring in the LOI should never start for us, if we want to be taken seriously that is. 

He is a talented boy but what level can he play at? It doesn't matter if the home sickness is now gone, he needs to be playing in England. 

Until as such time as Irish sides are mixing it up in the Europa League group stages (at least) we can forget it. 

On one hand we sl*g off lads who are league 1 and then lament JB. 

Truth is league one team would beat Rovers.

Literally everything that is wrong with irish football in those 2 sentences. He needs to be playing in England. 
The biggest thing wrong with Irish football has been a refusal to take a realistic appraisal of where it is at. The LOI is very much part of that.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:09pm
The goal he set up against bulgaria shows what type of vision he has. But that was just a friendly so that doesn't matter either right. Brainwashed half of ye are.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

The goal he set up against bulgaria shows what type of vision he has. But that was just a friendly so that doesn't matter either right. Brainwashed half of ye are.
And you are equally brainwashed the other way, which is the problem. 

International friendly matches are beyond pointless, you are correct there.
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:16pm
Its best to avoid any discussion with the West Cork Warrior when the discussion concerns anything or anybody remotely connected to Dublin. And heaven forbid you make a spelling or grammar error...
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Its best to avoid any discussion with the West Cork Warrior when the discussion concerns anything or anybody remotely connected to Dublin. And heaven forbid you make a spelling or grammar error...
Isn’t Carey from Dublin?
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:38pm

PM is making fair points on Jack Byrne given the relatively low level he is playing at which is arguably even lower than League Two. 

I think of most our senior players need to be playing in at least championship level (and whatever equivalent in other countries) or higher bar one or two exceptions for e.g. young Irish player being on loan at a League One side maybe.  
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:40pm
PreMadonna Byrne had a very good season in Holland when he was 19 played very well against likes of Ajax and scored some great goals, he had a good season in League 1 with Oldham and scored a lot of goals from midfield, hes played well in Europe aswel, the boy has talent and will play at a higher level, Norwich were close to signing him at the start of the season but sure he only plays LOI hes not good enough. 

Edited by JoxerDaly - 02 Mar 2020 at 1:41pm
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

PreMadonna Byrne had a very good season in Holland when he was 19 played very well against likes of Ajax and scored some great goals, he had a good season in League 1 with Oldham and scored a lot of goals from midfield, hes played well in Europe aswel, the boy has talent and will play at a higher level, Norwich were close to signing him at the start of the season but sure he only plays LOI hes not good enough. 

He's on his 8th club, after falling out of favour or having run ins with managers or whatever the excuse it.

He's a talented player but fails on many occasions to influence games in a league who are mostly part time.

I don't think he's the best player at Rovers.

For me he doesn't do enough. If he wants to copper fasten his place in the Ireland squad he should be playing at a higher level.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:51pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

How? It's the truth. Unless Irish football is doing well in Europe - then we can forget about it. 

Take off the blinkers.

I reluctantly agree with Kearney on this, LOI has been very poorly managed from the top and in many ways resembles amateur football.

Yes, there are some good players but they are also on the pitch with some, not so good players.

The good players there need to be pushed to the limits of their ability and sadly that means the english league (or other but generally england)

Don't know why it's reluctant. It's not like I don't want to players to do well. But I'm realistic as well. 

It's not about how good he is or isn't, it's the standard of the league. 

For example, if a talented lad is playing in MLS - one of which is true and moved to Atlanta, would we be on here saying he has to start, be on the plane etc. 

We wouldn't - LOI falls in to that category, we look at PL / championship players as the league is competitive. That's it simply put. 
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:53pm

I don't care what anyone says > a player starring in the LOI should never start for us, if we want to be taken seriously that is. 

He needs to be playing in England.  

The sheer amount of ex-LOI players in and around the national team squad shows that it's a better standard than League 2 or even 1. But whether he's playing at home, abroad, or on the moon, he has no chance of playing in Slovakia. It will be a rearguard action for however long the game is, and that's not him. Aside from that, he isn't "experienced enough" to play for Ireland until McCarthy is gone, which may be just 6 weeks away. Useless dinosaur couldn't even be arsd to stay and watch one of his players score the winner at the weekend, a great goal at any level. I know many of our fans would happily flee the stadium asap when the gates open, during one of McCarthy's games. I wonder how he would like it if they did. 
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He's on his 8th club, after falling out of favour or having run ins with managers or whatever the excuse it.

He's a talented player but fails on many occasions to influence games in a league who are mostly part time.

For me he doesn't do enough. If he wants to copper fasten his place in the Ireland squad he should be playing at a higher level.

What do you perceive to be a higher level ? St. Mirren, Lincoln City  ???
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:56pm
FAO kearney30

I was talking to a Rovers fan who was out with Byrne and the sqaud after the cup final and they were saying that Byrne was hard on the gargle
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:58pm

I'd consider L1 and the Scottish league to be a higher level. Both are full time professional leagues with better facilities etc..

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 1:58pm

Spot on .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:00pm

He had a few good games in the Eredivisie, there was very little consistency it seems, like much of his career. Also, like other mid-tier European leagues, there is a big drop off in quality. I wouldn’t say there is much between the bottom of the Dutch and Scottish leagues. I doubt anybody would have been getting too excited if he had had a few good games for Hamilton Academicals.

I don’t think anybody is saying that he doesn’t have talent, it is more about how much and can he apply it.  He has the talent to play higher than LOI, but hasn’t done much to show it. From what I have seen, albeit not regularly enough for different reasons, Carruthers has as much, if not more, talent than Byrne and is playing in a gruelling league that’s fully professional. Carey is another who has done it consistently in these leagues, although I am unaware of his time in Bulgaria. It seems to be that LOI fans want players to be good enough rather than giving a fair appraisal.

We all want him to be good enough, but expressing some realism or doubt isn’t having a dig at the league for no reason or because he is a Dub. Try and look at it without the tribalism.

Edited by pre Madonna - 02 Mar 2020 at 2:02pm
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

He needs to be playing in England.  

The sheer amount of ex-LOI players in and around the national team squad shows that it's a better standard than League 2 or even 1. But whether he's playing at home, abroad, or on the moon, he has no chance of playing in Slovakia. It will be a rearguard action for however long the game is, and that's not him. Aside from that, he isn't "experienced enough" to play for Ireland until McCarthy is gone, which may be just 6 weeks away. Useless dinosaur couldn't even be arsd to stay and watch one of his players score the winner at the weekend, a great goal at any level. I know many of our fans would happily flee the stadium asap when the gates open, during one of McCarthy's games. I wonder how he would like it if they did. 

Even League 1? You're taking the piss LOL
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 2:03pm

Yes, as HB said.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8889909192 138>
  Share Topic