Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 138>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 10:47am
Originally posted by kearney304 kearney304 wrote:

I'll entertain your point. Tell me a time when a player who went to England and had multiple clubs came home, then went back to England and carved out a career at a half decent level. 

Throw in the fact he loves the sauce, falls out with managers and has a reported attitude problem then I'm sure that narrows his chances. 

Now I've heard the hype about this lad for a long long time. I've seen him go from Man City to Oldham and lads always have an excuse. 

I was told when he comes to the LOI he will rediscover his form and go back over. We will see. 

Keith Fahey is an example.

The bottom line is that Byrne when playing well offers something we are lacking, and that is a creative midfielder in the center of the park.

You could argue Crowley is another but he's not in the squad and Byrne is.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 10:51am
It's no surprise Jack Byrne was the top performing LOI player when factoring in European performances this year, but for some reason that's getting ignored?

Compared to most LOI teams, continental teams give you more time and space on the ball, which suits Byrne's game.

He would be far better suited to the Dutch game (as proven) or a league with a higher technical level than plodding around the SPL or League 1.
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 11:06am

I'll entertain your point. Tell me a time when a player who went to England and had multiple clubs came home, then went back to England and carved out a career at a half decent level. 

Throw in the fact he loves the sauce, falls out with managers and has a reported attitude problem then I'm sure that narrows his chances. 

Now I've heard the hype about this lad for a long long time. I've seen him go from Man City to Oldham and lads always have an excuse. 

I was told when he comes to the LOI he will rediscover his form and go back over. We will see. 

1. Keith Fahey

2. How the fck would you know if he does or not?

YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 11:11am
Originally posted by gufct gufct wrote:

Friday night was the first time I saw Byrne for the full 90 mins and I was completely underwhelmed by him. Great ball for the goal but beyond that nothing.

You were underwhelmed by him?

It was McEneff who played the ball to Kavanagh who crossed for Burke, so no idea what game you were watching Confused

We must be the only country in the world where we laud plodders and dismiss any player that's genuinely gifted technically.

Ireland have no problem playing players who can't retain possession in midfield. You know the stereotype, the lower level Championship players who get through miles of leg work chasing shadows.

No, I'm not saying we need to start Crowley and Byrne in a two man midfield or anything, but it would be refreshing to see what either can offer. 

Edited by Green Devil - 02 Sep 2019 at 11:12am
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 11:30am
As I've said before, I'd trust mick's judgement and he is happy enough to have him in the final squad.

From what I've seen, Byrne looks technically sound and a cut above majority of our players in terms of what he can do with the ball at his feet.  Of course you need a lot more going for you to make it to the top and maybe he does have attitude problems etc. But maybe he is now thriving in an environment he is enjoying. One or two sub-par performances shouldn't be a big concern. Mick certainly didnt think so.

I dont expect to see him against the swiss but the Bulgaria game would be a good one to take a look at him. Maybe he is just a big fish in LOI but we shouldn't write him off before he even gets a chance. 

What's most frustrating as a supporter is that other supporters almost want him to fail to back up their point that he is not good enough because he is in LOI. I dont think it can be that black and white.

kearney304 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 11:44am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Keith Fahey is an example.

The bottom line is that Byrne when playing well offers something we are lacking, and that is a creative midfielder in the center of the park.

You could argue Crowley is another but he's not in the squad and Byrne is.

100% agree. He is a different type of player that we don't have. 

My point is more this. We sl*g lads off who play in the championship and say we can't trust them but we can trust a LOI player Confused

Again lads are super defensive on him. I want all our players to do well but this lad has had multiple opportunities and not done much. That is all I'm saying.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 11:45am
Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

1. Keith Fahey

LOL - touch a nerve with that one? Are you saying he doesn't? Or just annoyed because you're a fan boy?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:57pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

Friday night was the first time I saw Byrne for the full 90 mins and I was completely underwhelmed by him. Great ball for the goal but beyond that nothing.

It was McEneff who played the ball to Kavanagh who crossed for Burke, so no idea what game you were watching Confused

We must be the only country in the world where we laud plodders and dismiss any player that's genuinely gifted technically.

Ireland have no problem playing players who can't retain possession in midfield. You know the stereotype, the lower level Championship players who get through miles of leg work chasing shadows.

No, I'm not saying we need to start Crowley and Byrne in a two man midfield or anything, but it would be refreshing to see what either can offer. 

He was underwhelming on Friday, there’s no two ways about it. 

That being said he’s still one of the best midfielders in the league & was very good in Rovers European games. 

As always with opinions on YBIG the truth lies somewhere in the middle 

BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 12:59pm

You are a clownLOLLoves the sauce LOLI’m fairly sure he doesn’t drink
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

He was underwhelming on Friday, there’s no two ways about it. 

That being said he’s still one of the best midfielders in the league & was very good in Rovers European games. 

As always with opinions on YBIG the truth lies somewhere in the middle 

By people who didn't actually watch the game!

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Twoinarow View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Twoinarow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 1:38pm

Throw in the fact he loves the sauce, falls ou8t with managers and has a reported attitude problem then I'm sure that narrows his chances. 

A. He does not drink.
2 in a row and we won it in Tallaght
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 1:42pm
There may be a good chance that a lot of people questioning why byrne is in the squad dont even watch LOI games. Look at the likes of countries like Latvia or Estonia etc who have domestic players all the time in there teams. LOI teams regularly beat these type of sides in european games but imagine us picking a LOI player. Imagine the thought. Hes not playing in England so he must be some sort of a failure. Joke. Anyone who has seen him in the league this season knows he has quality. Stand out player in European games esp against Brann. 
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

There may be a good chance that a lot of people questioning why byrne is in the squad dont even watch LOI games. Look at the likes of countries like Latvia or Estonia etc who have domestic players all the time in there teams. LOI teams regularly beat these type of sides in european games but imagine us picking a LOI player. Imagine the thought. Hes not playing in England so he must be some sort of a failure. Joke. Anyone who has seen him in the league this season knows he has quality. Stand out player in European games esp against Brann. 
to be fair, the lad couldn’t get a game for Wigan, Oldham or Kilmarnock, so people are right to be skeptical. There is a litany of league of Ireland superstars who have come up short at a higher level. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 2:10pm
Couldnt get a game for Oldham ? What are you smoking, he was one of the best players in League 1 and played nearly all there games. In his only season there he played over 40 games and scored 5 plus 3 in cups and many more assists, Oldham fans loved him but sure it dosent suit your narrative that he didnt play for Oldham . Some lads on this site are actually clue less.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 02 Sep 2019 at 2:17pm
FrankosHereNow View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane
I like Klopp

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FrankosHereNow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 2:28pm

Originally posted by FrankosHereNow FrankosHereNow wrote:

1. Keith Fahey

LOL - touch a nerve with that one? Are you saying he doesn't? Or just annoyed because you're a fan boy?
Is this the level of the forum now?

A number of other posters have pointed out that he doesn't drink. You're just making stuff up to suit your agenda. 
YBIG Quiz Champion 2016, 2017 & 2018.

As You Were
Three in a row
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:18pm
Lads - sorry now to burst your love agenda but he does drink. A quick glance at social media would show that. Wept - ye are a defensive lot. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:20pm
Link?
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kearney304 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Sep 2019 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Link?

There is a fortune of photos with drink but here's one. 

Lads will tell me - it's fanta 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj2tICEhLwk/   *** no idea how to get hyperlink to work or throw in a screen shot 

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bj2tICEhLwk/

Edited by Sham157 - 02 Sep 2019 at 4:31pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6566676869 138>
  Share Topic