You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 138>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 8:10pm
Surely there are better options out there in Europe.

Just look at Elbouzedi's recent move to AIK for example.

While its early days there ...he went from having being a bit part player in League One / Two, to being one of the first names on the team sheet of a top Swedish team challenging for the League title and a place in Europe next season.

Jacks twice the player and only a year or two older than him.

Sponsored Links

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 8:57pm
You would imagine Holland should be his place to look. I know its easy to say but he would have some sort of a reputation or at least be known. His time there seemed to be a relative success so i would be thinking about trying to see if there was any real interest in someone taking him on. 
I love beer gardens
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 9:59pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

You would imagine Holland should be his place to look. I know its easy to say but he would have some sort of a reputation or at least be known. His time there seemed to be a relative success so i would be thinking about trying to see if there was any real interest in someone taking him on. 

Cambuur won promotion back to the Eredivise last season, could do worse than go back there if they'd have him.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 10:04pm
It's unfortunate where probably the best places for him to play don't pay as well. Let's be honest money surely has to be a factor.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 10:25pm
It's easy to say he was badly advised moving to Cyprus but by all accounts, with a three year deal and a very decent wage offer, it was always going to be the one to go for, especially with the added bit of security of McCarthy being there at the time. They blew a couple of decent paying Scottish clubs out of the water with the offer so it was a no-brainer financially. If he really believed he still had a crack at a big club in England the right move was probably the Hibs offer on much lower wages than APOEL and try to use it as a stepping stone, but honestly the cash offer from APOEL was the one 95% of players would go for, and he was no different.

Ultimately we're talking about a guy here who is on course to have a similar career to the likes of Graham Carey, Cillian Sheridan and Ronnie O'Brien. He has to take the best offer financially every time because it's a short career and he'll never play at the top level, so he needs to make his money where he can. Probably he should avoid the temptation to rip his contract up at this stage and take the League 1 or League 2 loan until January because the Cypriots will have to pay the balance of his wages. He'll likely be taking a pay cut after that going to the MLS.

Best of luck to him but we need to be realistic about his standing in the game, he's a journeyman professional like many others.

Edited by You Tell Me - 23 Aug 2021 at 10:29pm
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2021 at 10:29pm
Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

A new MLS team is not a great move. New management teams get thrown in the deep end and frequently get f**ked over 
A new MLS team is the only one he’d get a game at. He’d be sat on the bench at any half decent one. 
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 6:23am
Christian Fuchs is playing for that team at the moment. If it's money moves Byrne is after, going to the MLS as an unestablished player isn't really the best option for him. 

If it wasn't for Towell moving to Rovers, I'd say it could be a good option for him but there isn't a place for him there at the moment.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 7:54am
There won't be any money moves available at this point after his Cyprus failure. Just a question of finding a team that will pay him a full time wage higher than LoI wages now and presumably the MLS team are offering that to him.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 9:09am
Needs to make coin now and start setting himself up for post retirement.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

sausy View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
MAYO FOR SAM

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sausy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 9:29am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

There won't be any money moves available at this point after his Cyprus failure. Just a question of finding a team that will pay him a full time wage higher than LoI wages now and presumably the MLS team are offering that to him.

How are you classifying Cyprus as a failure? Out with injury for most of his time there so just unlucky.
Bimbos Burgers - "Official Sponsor of the Irish Squad"
Badgersboys9 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 9:45am
Originally posted by sausy sausy wrote:

How are you classifying Cyprus as a failure? Out with injury for most of his time there so just unlucky.

In football, it is still a failure regardless of the circumstances. Would have liked to see him do well over there but it didn't happen. The management obviously hasn't seen anything in him prior or post injury to warrant them keeping him.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 9:52am

it’s pretty clear from reading here that his career is over and it’s time to move on from him 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 11:47am

Well it certainly can't be chalked down as a success. There were issues from the outset obviously from injuries to manager sackings, but ultimately they want rid of him after less than a year, so it has been a failure either way.

Jack hopefully still has another 10 years in him as a professional footballer, but it seems fairly clear that he's not going to hit the heights that many had originally hoped he would. He was a standout in the LoI but a disappointment nearly everywhere else he has gone, including multiple UK clubs. The MLS may well suit him, and if he finds his level over there that might well be where he plays for much of his career.

Edited by You Tell Me - 24 Aug 2021 at 11:53am
eireland View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eireland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 12:09pm

Well it certainly can't be chalked down as a success. There were issues from the outset obviously from injuries to manager sackings, but ultimately they want rid of him after less than a year, so it has been a failure either way.

Jack hopefully still has another 10 years in him as a professional footballer, but it seems fairly clear that he's not going to hit the heights that many had originally hoped he would. He was a standout in the LoI but a disappointment nearly everywhere else he has gone, including multiple UK clubs. The MLS may well suit him, and if he finds his level over there that might well be where he plays for much of his career.

Not surprising tbh. The LOI is a very low standard. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 5:04pm
Negative, realistic evaluation = He's f*cked, might as well pack it in.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

This is it. It's not the 1970's. The standard of international teams outside the top 20 is fairly mediocre. Jack is the type of player we could have done with when we were playing these 3rd/4th and in some cases 2nd seed teams. 

I find it baffling how so many people reject the idea of having a player in the squad who actually DEMANDS to be in possession of the ball. We're falling over ourselves with midfielders who's first thought on receiving the ball is "how quick can I get rid of it?" It's a novelty to actually have a player who is so willing to take responsibility and try make things happen.

As mentioned, any time he's played for Ireland he's never looked out of place, yet some of our current midfield options get a pass cause they were useful once upon a time...?

"But they play premier league football!" Whoopty-doo.

I don't give a monkeys. HOW....DO...THEY...PLAY...WHEN...THEY...PUT....THE...IRISH....JERSEY...ON? That's all that matters, and it goes for everyone Kenny chooses to select. 

He is good enough for international level, but if he was mainly ignored while he played in the LOI, he will be ignored when he's playing in Cyprus. And he really will be ignored while he's not getting playing time in Cyprus. It was a stupid career move, that was doomed from the moment he packed his bags. It completely depended on McCarthy staying put. Since he left, the only thing Byrne has got out there is a suntan. If he wants an international career, he'll have to throw away the lotion, and convince some coach in the championship that he can pass a football in a predominantly hoofball team. It's the only way he's going to get on Kenny's radar. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 8:53pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

This is it. It's not the 1970's. The standard of international teams outside the top 20 is fairly mediocre. Jack is the type of player we could have done with when we were playing these 3rd/4th and in some cases 2nd seed teams. 

I find it baffling how so many people reject the idea of having a player in the squad who actually DEMANDS to be in possession of the ball. We're falling over ourselves with midfielders who's first thought on receiving the ball is "how quick can I get rid of it?" It's a novelty to actually have a player who is so willing to take responsibility and try make things happen.

As mentioned, any time he's played for Ireland he's never looked out of place, yet some of our current midfield options get a pass cause they were useful once upon a time...?

I don't give a monkeys. HOW....DO...THEY...PLAY...WHEN...THEY...PUT....THE...IRISH....JERSEY...ON? That's all that matters, and it goes for everyone Kenny chooses to select. 

He is good enough for international level, but if he was mainly ignored while he played in the LOI, he will be ignored when he's playing in Cyprus. And he really will be ignored while he's not getting playing time in Cyprus. It was a stupid career move, that was doomed from the moment he packed his bags. It completely depended on McCarthy staying put. Since he left, the only thing Byrne has got out there is a suntan. If he wants an international career, he'll have to throw away the lotion, and convince some coach in the championship that he can pass a football in a predominantly hoofball team. It's the only way he's going to get on Kenny's radar. 
Are you on glue? The reason why he got international recognition at all was because of the League of Ireland. C'mon lads. this is just basic football knowledge here. 
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Badgersboys9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2021 at 9:13pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

He hasn't.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 125126127128129 138>
  Share Topic