You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 138>
Author
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 8:02pm
mc carthy likely to be sacked
Sponsored Links

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Four-Four-Two Four-Four-Two wrote:

4 straight defeats and one draw in his 9 games in charge of APOEL... 

Yeah, I can't see him there much longer...
King_Kenny View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King_Kenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 8:39pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Not surprised. I can only assume Jack didn’t have a lot of offers on the table to end up there.
nordlingen View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nordlingen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 8:43pm
yeah four on the trot looks a bit dodgy alright.....it's still four wins four defeats n a draw but....
They have games in hand on those around them so a win at home v Ermis who are just above them on Sat could turn the tide....
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 10:02pm
Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

Not surprised. I can only assume Jack didn’t have a lot of offers on the table to end up there.

There were other offers but financially the best offer was Cyprus. He has gone there for the money and it's hard to blame him, it's a short career.

I doubt he'll be in Cyprus too long either way, will move on elsewhere in Europe or else back to Rovers within a year or two if things don't work out overseas.
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Originally posted by King_Kenny King_Kenny wrote:

There were other offers but financially the best offer was Cyprus. He has gone there for the money and it's hard to blame him, it's a short career.

I doubt he'll be in Cyprus too long either way, will move on elsewhere in Europe or else back to Rovers within a year or two if things don't work out overseas.

I would also argue that APOEL were probably one of the best options from a footballing point of view too, so I wouldn't be focusing on the money aspect too much.

You may as well play for a top club in Cyprus than a mid table Dutch or Belgian side and certainly better off than playing for a team fighting for their lives to stay in The Championship or wherever.

Had the likes of Swansea, Bournemouth, Norwich etc all tried to sign him you could make a firm argument for him choosing one of those sides over APOEL given the potential opportunity to play in the PL next season but as far as I know there wasn't any interest.

Personally I think it's a great move for him, even if McCarthy does get the boot we are now dealing with a far more mature Jack Byrne than the lost boy of 3 or 4 years ago. He see's himself as an Irish international and wants to show the world he belongs at that level, I can see him being a success there.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
wanderer View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 9:34am
Reports that Mick has been sacked. 

Not exactly the start Byrne probably envisaged 
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 9:40am
Yep, reading same and that's an interesting turn.
Will be a real test of Jack's credentials now.

CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:09am
I guess it was always likely to happen given his poor start and their tendency to sack managers, but that is bad news for Jack. He spoke before about his stint in English football which felt like a manager signed you then he was sacked and the new manager wants his own men. Let's hope it works out differently for him this time. 
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:11am
Penny for the thoughts of Mr Byrne this morning 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:12am
Not good for Jack from a footballing point of view, but he will have signed his contract and will be able to continue to take his pay cheque for now. If the new manager doesn't fancy him or if he doesn't settle - which wouldn't be a massive surprise given his previous - he will move again at the end of the season.
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:19am
Originally posted by zizu Kilbane zizu Kilbane wrote:

Penny for the thoughts of Mr Byrne this morning 
Probably thinking that he has a 2 year contract so will be fine financially and I imagine he'd back himself to prove his worth under a new manager. Still very possible he proves a success over there. 
Los Aros View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Los Aros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:24am
He was the stand out player in Rovers European games against Apollon Limassol last year so no doubt he'll back himself over there.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 10:43am
Unless the manager is a dinosaur of a hoof ball merchant, who doesn't entertain that "fancy stuff", then it's up to Jack to claim his spot. 

If it's apparent that his face doesn't fit or whatever, he'd be well advised to get the fook out of there as soon as possible, as his stock will quickly decline. Out of sight, out of mind. He should know where he stands come June and make a decision based on that.
Dugs View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dugs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 11:16am
seemed a bizarre decision all along. if it was purely for the money then it may backfire long term. from a footballing point of view he was as well stay with Rovers. There in the CL qualifiers and depending on how that went possibly a decent european run. More than likely would at least make the Irish squads. I didn't really see much upside to it, and don't give me this mullarkey that Cypriot football is so much better than the LOI. throw in Covid and all the restrictions around that staying at home would seem to have been the best option at present, looking from the outside anyway.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 11:21am
Shouldn't we hold off and judge him after a period of time?.
He's only over there a few days. 

McCarthy being fired was a very likely outcome considering the amount of managers they've had recently.

For me nothing changes - he still has to earn his place in the team, and it's early days yet.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 11:23am
Well he's stuck there now for better or worse. As I understand it he can only play for two clubs during a football calendar year (July to  June) so his five minute cameo for APOEL means he can't play for a further club until next season. 
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 11:37am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Shouldn't we hold off and judge him after a period of time?.
He's only over there a few days. 

McCarthy being fired was a very likely outcome considering the amount of managers they've had recently.

For me nothing changes - he still has to earn his place in the team, and it's early days yet.
This. If anything you could portray it as positive for Jack as hell more than likely have a manager now who’ll try retain possession and suit him 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 114115116117118 138>
  Share Topic