You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 138>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:11am
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

why do people think loi football is the end for Jack?

kenny has called up lesser loi footballers in the past. If he gets back to his best, he will be back in the Ireland squad easily. sure he wont start every game but he offers us something we dont have with his creativity and vision.

Exactly, Roberto Lopes started the last 3/4 games for Cape Verde who were one goal away from qualifying for the World Cup which is not easy through Africa and will play in The African cup of Nations in a few months against likes of Salah, Mahrez and Iwobi.

It's about time people stopped turning there nose up at the LOI when a good chunk of players played in it. At least Kenny doesn't pick players based on club size  but on if the players fits the system and is good enough which shows he has the balls and courage that likes of McCarthy never had.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 19 Nov 2021 at 10:16am
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:20am
If he reaches the level that he was playing last season then he will be close enough to the squad at least. The squad has got better though with Premiership and Championship players missing out on recent ones. 
If he wants to get back in more regularly, he will have to raise his performance even higher.

Do think if he was absolutely dedicated to his game and athleticism then he does have another level he could achieve. He has a higher football intelligence that most of the squad.
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:34am
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

why do people think loi football is the end for Jack?

kenny has called up lesser loi footballers in the past. If he gets back to his best, he will be back in the Ireland squad easily. sure he wont start every game but he offers us something we dont have with his creativity and vision.

Exactly, Roberto Lopes started the last 3/4 games for Cape Verde who were one goal away from qualifying for the World Cup which is not easy through Africa and will play in The African cup of Nations in a few months against likes of Salah, Mahrez and Iwobi.

It's about time people stopped turning there nose up at the LOI when a good chunk of players played in it. At least Kenny doesn't pick players based on club size  but on if the players fits the system and is good enough which shows he has the balls and courage that likes of McCarthy never had.

Mick who gave Byrne his debut 😂😂
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 10:57am
I think there are more options than last time Byrne got selected, system has changed a bit as well...and Conor Ronan coming through will be the player Kenny will want to have a look at, even playing well with Rovers it won't be straightforward getting back in. 
Healy52003 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Healy52003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Nov 2021 at 1:32pm
Suppose Jack is only 25/26 but as was said things are a little bit different in the Ireland camp now but Jack will have confidence and will no doubt fight for a place 

Great to have him back in the League of Ireland
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 9:25am
Has started the season well enough. Is there a chance that he could be called up in March?
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 9:34am
Originally posted by Donegalman Donegalman wrote:

Has started the season well enough. Is there a chance that he could be called up in March?

Continues like yesterday then a good chance. He is much fitter and looking after himself better than he was before he left apparently so basically he should be even better than he was before he left. 

Edited by t_rAndy - 01 Mar 2022 at 9:35am
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 11:05am
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Hes 26 next month and struggled at every level except LOI. 

In any higher league he's seen as a luxury player. 

But I guess there will be call for him to be an impact sub or something.

Harsh, no? He was more impressive at League One level with Oldham than Connor Ronan or Daniel Crowley. Impressed in Holland.

Move to Kilmarnock didn't work out before he even got on the pitch by all accounts. Fell out with Owen Coyle at Blackburn and Wigan manager who signed him was sacked before he kicked a ball.

He's been unlucky if anything.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 11:16am
We just seem to go around in circles with Byrne. Calls for him to get back in were inevitable once the domestic season started. But, unless he has broadened his game to include much improved workrate in midfield, particularly off the ball, it's hard to see where you'd fit him in. He's not a proper forward, he's not an all-round midfielder either and he has had multiple chances to prove himself at a higher level and failed. In terms of that link position between midfield and attack, the likes of Knight and McGrath offer much more to the team.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 11:16am
Jack definitely unproven at highest level, but bad luck has followed his career also. People love optics. Couldn't even make it in Cyprus! C'mon. We know exactly why Cyprus fell on its arse.

Watch Jack Byrne in the 10 seconds prior to his goal last night. We don't have ONE player who constantly shows for the ball like that. And Jack does this continuously during a game.

Once again, international football is not elite, so let's not go with the narrative that he'd be out of his depth. 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 11:25am
It's possible for it not to be elite - but at the same time be beyond the capability of Byrne also. There's a big gap there from where he plays his football to the international team, that's the honest truth.

I don't really buy the hard luck story either. You can be unlucky once or twice, but after that you make your own luck. Byrne has had plenty of chances and not taken them.
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 11:34am
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

It's possible for it not to be elite - but at the same time be beyond the capability of Byrne also. There's a big gap there from where he plays his football to the international team, that's the honest truth.

I don't really buy the hard luck story either. You can be unlucky once or twice, but after that you make your own luck. Byrne has had plenty of chances and not taken them.

But he has looked OK also when playing for ireland when he got chances.
I doubt he is ever going to be a regular starter but there would certainly be games where it would be useful having him on the bench. 
He at least deserves to be in the manager's thoughts because he does have a lot of qualities. And it does appear he is in the manager's thoughts anyway .

Edited by t_rAndy - 01 Mar 2022 at 11:35am
Eoink21 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eoink21 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 11:45am
Given that we are likely to persist with two behind the striker, I think he presents an interesting option. Ogbene has been very good for us coming in from League One. I wouldn't write off Byrne or Crowley making squads due to the formation we play. However, Connor Ronan is surely the next in the queue for a squad place to challenge for those spots behind the striker. 
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 2:29pm
Yeah i think Ronan playing well in Scotland moves him ahead of Byrne at this point.  Kenny has worked with him at u21s as well.
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 3:07pm
Great to see Byrne back playing.

Think there's a high likelihood he's in the Ireland squad in a few weeks. Kenny knows what having LOI representation in the Ireland squad means for the game here. Not to say he'll bring players in for the sake of it if he doesn't think they're good enough, but Byrne is potentially the type of creative player the Ireland squad needs for games like Luxembourg, Lithuania, Azerbaijan etc, and Byrne has been in 2 of Kenny's squads already (before the injury), so he's a good bet.

9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 6:10pm
He’s played 3 games in what 12/18 months? And now it’s highly likely he’ll be back in the international set up. I think a few need to calm down 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 6:24pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

He’s played 3 games in what 12/18 months? And now it’s highly likely he’ll be back in the international set up. I think a few need to calm down 

I’d gave him in the squad if his fitness is ok.

They seemed to hint last night that he might have a calf injury.
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Greenie50 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greenie50 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 6:51pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

I'm quite calm thanks.

O'Dowda got injured in December 2020, was pretty much out of action until October 2021, played 4 or 5 games & got straight back into the Ireland squad in November.

Christie was included in the October squad (and played 45' vs Qatar) while totally frozen out at Forest and hadn't played a minute since May (~5 months)

Hell, Hendrick was a starting player for us in the Autumn games when he'd barely kicked a ball for Newcastle since February!

Byrne has 7 or 8 games to get up to speed, and if he does then yes, I think it's likely he's included, especially with McGrath & O'Dowda out injured.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 132133134135136 138>
  Share Topic