You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 128129130131132 138>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by Borussia Borussia wrote:

Originally posted by J89 J89 wrote:

Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Has officially left APOEL. Where is there a transfer window open for him this time of year? Might be as well to soak up the last month of good weather in Cyprus with his payoff and then get himself back fit ahead of a potential move in January.

Free agents don't need to wait for a window. So Byrne and Brady can join any team whenever.

Technically they do for some countries. Can't join a LOI team because he wasn't a free agent before the window closed. Could be the same in a few places.

This is the same for all countries where the transfer window closed on August 31st. He has very limited options at the moment. 

I could be wrong here, trying to find a clear answer in an official leagues handbook, but I think that might only apply to players who were registered with their club and league before the window shut. Byrne wasn't registered with Apoel this season.
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 5:57pm
Yes, Jack must have registered as a free agent before the window closed. 

His only options now are countries where the transfer window is still open. Long story short looks like he won't play a game the turn of the year. Poor bastard. That's bogey luck. 
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:23pm
Gosh, did he even play a game for APOEL? 

I'd imagine it's back to the LOI for him...
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:42pm

He played a couple of games. Then he had back surgery which ruled him out for the rest of the season.

Apoel had a financial meltdown on the back of not qualifying for Europe. Byrne amongst others was on the chopping list to get them off the wage bill.

While there is definitely bad luck involved whoever advised him to move there in the first place should be shot out of a cannon into space. If they're still advising him then you can only say shame on Jack.
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:42pm
Just to clarify because a few posters have queried it, his situation is different to Brady's. He can't join a club in pretty much any of the European leagues, including Ireland, England or Scotland, as he was not released by APOEL before the European transfer window closed. This rule exists because otherwise you would just have clubs and players taking the piss out of the transfer window by being released and re-signed at any time during the year.

So it will almost certainly be January before he plays again unless he goes somewhere unusual. If he goes to the MLS as previously rumoured he won't play a competitive game again until March. Some might say that's bad luck but presumably it was a conscious decision by Byrne not to take whatever payoff he was offered before the window closed and to hold out for more at the expense of playing again any time soon.

If he has negotiated well he will at least leave Cyprus a wealthy man, albeit to the further detriment of his football career.

Edited by You Tell Me - 24 Sep 2021 at 6:44pm
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 6:46pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

He played a couple of games. Then he had back surgery which ruled him out for the rest of the season.

Apoel had a financial meltdown on the back of not qualifying for Europe. Byrne amongst others was on the chopping list to get them off the wage bill.

While there is definitely bad luck involved whoever advised him to move there in the first place should be shot out of a cannon into space. If they're still advising him then you can only say shame on Jack.

I can think of 10,000 reasons a week why it might not have been as bad advice as you might think.
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 7:10pm
Argentinian transfer window is open for another 2 days Tongue
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2021 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

While there is definitely bad luck involved whoever advised him to move there in the first place should be shot out of a cannon into space.

Someone by the initials of MMC?

He's another one who thought the grass was greener outside the LOI, and didn't make it. For the third time. 
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 10:33am
I see Jack put out a tweet about how he loved his time at Cambur. Wonder could be go back to Holland and train there before permanently signing when the window opens in Janaury? 
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 2:00pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

I see Jack put out a tweet about how he loved his time at Cambur. Wonder could be go back to Holland and train there before permanently signing when the window opens in Janaury? 

They'd probably have him back too, but the money wouldn't be much better than at Rovers.

Hes currently back in Dublin anyway, was on the beer with Anto Stokes last night.
pateen View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pateen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2021 at 12:08am
Christ, he's in good company there 
Flying so high, trying to remember
How many cigarettes did I bring along?
When I get down I'll jump in a taxi cab
Driving through London town, to cry you a song
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 2:54pm
50%lesssugar&salt View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 50%lesssugar&salt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Laughed out loud at this.

Linked with Bohemians and... Lazio.

LOL
Interest is understood to have cooled..
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by 50%lesssugar&salt 50%lesssugar&salt wrote:

Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Laughed out loud at this.

Linked with Bohemians and... Lazio.

LOL
Interest is understood to have cooled..

It may well just of said Jack Byrne has been linked with a LOI team and Brazil in the 1960s. 
J89 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 3:40pm
Has he linked up with Hendrick's agent given his contacts in Italy.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 5:54pm
On his way back to Shamrock Rovers, who presumably have offered a greater package than Lazio.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:10pm
Looks like Rovers is the only serious offer on the table for him. Which means we're likely facing into a few more years of him being a standout player domestically and being constantly touted for an Ireland squad place when all evidence based on his time abroad suggests that he's nowhere near good enough for the international team.

To be honest I was hoping he'd go to the US and we could just forget about him.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 9:30pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Looks like Rovers is the only serious offer on the table for him. Which means we're likely facing into a few more years of him being a standout player domestically and being constantly touted for an Ireland squad place when all evidence based on his time abroad suggests that he's nowhere near good enough for the international team.

To be honest I was hoping he'd go to the US and we could just forget about him.

LOL
So weird 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 128129130131132 138>
  Share Topic