You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 138>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 7:08pm
some pretty idiotic comments on here re Byrne.

He’s a class act, move didn’t work out for him, but such is life.

It looks like he’s made the wrong career choices but hopefully has one more chance anyway.

Reminds me a bit of Jason byrne. Out of Ireland squads when the likes of Gary Doherty and Dominic foley were in ahead of him - the aul “loi snobbery” at play obviously.

Byrne could’ve scored goals galore for Ireland imo.

Gets move to Cardiff. A few weeks later they sign fowler and hassekbaink on serious wages. He gets on injury. Cardiff don’t diagnose it properly (wasn’t diagnosed properly til he went back to bohs). Was seriously unlucky.

I really hope Byrne gets a break if he tries his luck in England (from a selfish point of view, America a great option though, decent money and long term education and coaching opportunities with a good lifestyle)

Edited by Wheelo - 25 Aug 2021 at 7:09pm
"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
Sponsored Links

Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by Wheelo Wheelo wrote:

It looks like he’s made the wrong career choices but hopefully has one more chance anyway.

Reminds me a bit of Jason byrne. Out of Ireland squads when the likes of Gary Doherty and Dominic foley were in ahead of him - the aul “loi snobbery” at play obviously.

Gets move to Cardiff. A few weeks later they sign fowler and hassekbaink on serious wages. He gets on injury. Cardiff don’t diagnose it properly (wasn’t diagnosed properly til he went back to bohs). Was seriously unlucky.

I really hope Byrne gets a break if he tries his luck in England (from a selfish point of view, America a great option though, decent money and long term education and coaching opportunities with a good lifestyle)

A bit before my time but I believe Dominic Foley scored a couple of goals for us. He also had spells in the LoI and plundered goals at a decent level in Belgium.

People are a little bit hard on Byrne though. He did well at Oldham in League One and put himself on notice with some memorable performances for Cambuur against the Eredivisie's leading lights.

He fell out with Owen Coyle after signing at Blackburn and the manager who signed him for Wigan was sacked as soon as he arrived, much like McCarthy at APOEL.

I wouldn't put much stock in him failing at Kilmarnock either. He obviously didn't settle there at all.
B6 6HE View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B6 6HE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 8:30pm

I don't MSL would suit him. He's not athletic enough. He's more suited to technical league. 

TBH, there's a lot to be said for going back to Rovers and being happy in himself. 
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 8:41pm
It will be a great shame if we never get to see Jack Byrne at his best in an Ireland Jersey, having watched him regularly at Rovers I've no doubt he is one of the more talented Irish midfielders of the past few years and has a skill set that we are really lacking.

However judging by the (rumoured) club moves, I'd say he is choosing the €€ and lifestyle over an international career having gone to Cyprus and rumoured to be heading to the MLS. Who can blame him really, he isn't making that much money that he will be set up for life, so might as well earn as much as he can and live in these places while he can.

The move to Cyprus was as disastrous as it could possibly have been unfortunately. I tried to see the positives in it at the time - Mick being there, technical football, possibility of European football etc. but realistically his career has been put on pause since moving there. 
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 9:02pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

A bit before my time but I believe Dominic Foley scored a couple of goals for us. He also had spells in the LoI and plundered goals at a decent level in Belgium.

The point is Jason Byrne was a far better goal scorer than him or the likes of Gary Doherty. It’s all about getting the right breaks.

Keith Fahey got the right break at 25/26 moving from the junkies to Birmingham. Worked out well for him.

I don’t think byrne is same standard, but fingers crossed for him he gets a bit of luck with next move whether it having a crack in England again or building a future in America!

"Not surprised you are anti foreigner in your so called Kip of a town when you don’t want a manager because he is Swedish and you want big Sam in charge" - a fine post from a fine ybig poster
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 9:10pm

We will never really know but i dont think Jason Byrne had the quality to score goals at a higher level. Im a LOI supporter and have seen Byrne through his career. Yes he was prolific but you get a sense of who can go another level. I never really felt it with him. Towell Horgan Byrne these types of players you could sense could do ot but i dont think Byrne would have.  I didnt think Crowe could do it at a higher level either. That is just my opinion. 
I love beer gardens
Wheelo View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wheelo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2021 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

We will never really know but i dont think Jason Byrne had the quality to score goals at a higher level. Im a LOI supporter and have seen Byrne through his career. Yes he was prolific but you get a sense of who can go another level. I never really felt it with him. Towell Horgan Byrne these types of players you could sense could do ot but i dont think Byrne would have.  I didnt think Crowe could do it at a higher level either. That is just my opinion. 

All entitled to our opinion. I agree with you re Towell and crowe. Always thought Noel hunt, fahey, Doyle and Jason byrne would make it easily at championship level.

Never thought Daryl Murphy would make it even at league 1 - but there you go, what do I know!! (Though to this day, I still don’t know how he’d a football career in England!!)
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 11:48am
(Moved from the Liam Kelly thread because it's not related to Liam Kelly)

Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I'm not saying Byrne is on their level, or comparing like for like, but maybe Cambuur had a terrible defence (like a lot of Dutch teams). This idea that their performance is inextricably linked to Byrne's performances or ability.

My point is I can look at Dara O'Shea and John Egan and see there was a bigger picture that lead to relegation. And for the individual player you would have to consider their time in the top flight a success. 

Byrne isn't afforded the same benefit of the doubt. A moving narrative to suit someone's argument.

Both Egan and O'Shea's careers to date are stories of progression - in Egan's case steadily through the divisions from League 2 to the Premier League. Last season's relegation was the first backwards step he's taken since his release by Sunderland. Similarly with O'Shea, from the southern league to League 2 to the Championship and on to the Premier League. Even with his relegation he seems to have nailed down a place as a certain starter for a top Championship club this season, which is also progression in a sense.

Byrne's story, sadly, is completely different. Occasional successes within setups of questionable quality - the worst team in the Eredivisie and in the League of Ireland, mixed in with numerous failures including in the Championship and SPL, as well as his latest setback in Cyprus. Byrne hasn't earned the benefit of any doubt, the majority of his moves have just led to more question marks.

Anyone can have a setback in their career, a wrong move, a manager disagreement or sacking, personal/mental issues, an unfortunately timed injury. When you have all of the above with one player though it suggests deeper problems. What we have with Byrne is a consistent pattern of setbacks and excuses, across multiple clubs in multiple leagues and countries. There comes a time when you just have to accept that it can't all be bad luck, the story of his career is one of underachievement relative to expectations, either because of an attitude issue or, more likely, because he's not as good as some thought he would be. 

We're well past benefit of the doubt stage with Jack unfortunately.

Edited by You Tell Me - 26 Aug 2021 at 11:49am
gazurtoids View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gazurtoids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:23pm
Seems to happen alot to young players who turn their noses up at the chance of International caps with Ireland ......the Grealish's, Rice and now Bamford very much the exception to the rule (they were all pretty much established first teamers when the decision was made)

the first I can recall was Froggat at Villa, and wasn't there a Gallen at QPR ...Jamie O'hara......the Keane's at Man U (ok 1 is at Everton but is miles away from playing Internationals) .........probably nothing but coincidence but aot of careers nose dive

be careful what you wish for Mipo Odubeko
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 3:42pm
not the same but Stephen Ireland's career went downhill after his Ireland episode.
I love beer gardens
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2021 at 7:02pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

not the same but Stephen Ireland's career went downhill after his Ireland episode.
Stephen Ireland had the best season of his career after his Ireland episode so it really didn’t. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 12:25pm
Apoel have sacked their manager. Lovin Christ.

Doesn't make any difference to Jack Byrne as they want him off the wage bill either way.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2021 at 12:40pm
Basket case of a club, he be well to get well out of there tbh.

Edited by JoxerDaly - 28 Aug 2021 at 12:40pm
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 3:09pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Basket case of a club, he be well to get well out of there tbh.

You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Heimatklange View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heimatklange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:14pm
if Jack doesn't get a move tonight, is he stuck at Apoel?
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Heimatklange Heimatklange wrote:

Not necessarily theres a couple of leagues whos window doesnt close for a few days more such as Russia and Turkey. I dont think hes going anywhere though.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 8:38pm

I think so. Unfortunately it will say a lot about his future plans if he doesn't take a loan move. 
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2021 at 10:57pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

I think so. Unfortunately it will say a lot about his future plans if he doesn't take a loan move. 

What does it say and why is it unfortunate?

The manager that didn't figure him in has been sacked. If you were in the same situation, would you give up half or more of your salary to move back to UK League one or SPL versus staying in the place you uprooted to less than a year ago, with nice weather and most important, a place where you haven't really had a chance to prove yourself? You think he should throw in the towel and move? I think that would be unfortunate and say a lot about him 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 126127128129130 138>
  Share Topic