You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 138>
Author
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 5:03pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

Well he's stuck there now for better or worse. As I understand it he can only play for two clubs during a football calendar year (July to  June) so his five minute cameo for APOEL means he can't play for a further club until next season. 

Back in the LOI come July. 

He went all the way out to the back of beyond for one reason, for "the best Irish manager since Jack". Now the reason has gone, he'll be back home facing Pats and Shels in no time, instead of Portugal and Serbia.

That's not true though. 
Sponsored Links

Dalymount79 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dalymount79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 5:57pm

Well he's stuck there now for better or worse. As I understand it he can only play for two clubs during a football calendar year (July to  June) so his five minute cameo for APOEL means he can't play for a further club until next season. 

He went all the way out to the back of beyond for one reason, for "the best Irish manager since Jack". Now the reason has gone, he'll be back home facing Pats and Shels in no time, instead of Portugal and Serbia.
who is Byrne’s agent - any connection with Micks? I’d assume not and I’d say Byrne would have had an idea Micks job was in trouble before signing.

I’d also say the new manager was lined up around the time club signed Byrne. Any doubts about him and the club would have slowed down on brining Byrne in or pulled out completely. 
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 6:00pm
Graham Barrett is Jack's agent.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 6:15pm
probably see him at Dudnalk in July knowing the way the LOI functions
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 6:42pm

Who are you quoting? 
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
exgrad View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exgrad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

There wasnt a prayer in hell of Jack going to Cyprus if not for Mick being there already, from that standpoint alone it's a massive blow to him.

Byrne has also spoken about homesickness in the past and now he is marooned in Cyprus of all places.

He isn't going to be participating in European competition, and is off in a league that anybody from this island couldn't give a jot about. A league which is barely better than the LOI when you look at the matchups between LOI and Cypriot clubs in Europe over the past few years.

If Jack was to leave Ireland it should have been for a big step up in quality, not a sideways move to the middle of nowhere.

It is a massive blow to him, and anybody trying to paint this as a positive is utterly, utterly deluded.

Is there many LOI clubs who have signed a player for 2m and sold him on to a Bundesliga club (thats a big league right?) for 4.5m?

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 9:29pm
Originally posted by exgrad exgrad wrote:

Originally posted by E2016 E2016 wrote:

There wasnt a prayer in hell of Jack going to Cyprus if not for Mick being there already, from that standpoint alone it's a massive blow to him.

Byrne has also spoken about homesickness in the past and now he is marooned in Cyprus of all places.

He isn't going to be participating in European competition, and is off in a league that anybody from this island couldn't give a jot about. A league which is barely better than the LOI when you look at the matchups between LOI and Cypriot clubs in Europe over the past few years.

If Jack was to leave Ireland it should have been for a big step up in quality, not a sideways move to the middle of nowhere.

It is a massive blow to him, and anybody trying to paint this as a positive is utterly, utterly deluded.

Is there many LOI clubs who have signed a player for 2m and sold him on to a Bundesliga club (thats a big league right?) for 4.5m?

I see rumoured and reported. I cannot see why his value would have been 2 million when Apoel signed him. Or why would it be 4.5 million when he left? Doesn't add up.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Dalymount79 Dalymount79 wrote:

who is Byrne’s agent - any connection with Micks? I’d assume not and I’d say Byrne would have had an idea Micks job was in trouble before signing.

I’d also say the new manager was lined up around the time club signed Byrne. Any doubts about him and the club would have slowed down on brining Byrne in or pulled out completely. 

He had no more idea than the rest of us. In our football culture, you don't sack a manager after 9 games, unless you're a banana run club. While players from here don't choose to go anywhere but the UK to play, at the drop of a hat. We know why he went. It wasn't the culture, or the climate, or the football. It was an old contact, no other reason. Now he's gone, the clock to Byrne's departure is already ticking. 
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 11:22pm
Or.......or mick get a job soon enuf which he probably will and hes on the phone to Jack a while after. Hellooooo jack howd ya fancy shopping in baaaarrrnsssley? 
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 12:20am

He had no more idea than the rest of us. In our football culture, you don't sack a manager after 9 games, unless you're a banana run club. While players from here don't choose to go anywhere but the UK to play, at the drop of a hat. We know why he went. It wasn't the culture, or the climate, or the football. It was an old contact, no other reason. Now he's gone, the clock to Byrne's departure is already ticking. 

Graham Carey's doing fine at CSKA Sofia. Connor Ronan fared better in Slovakia than he did at League One level. Conor Henderson, with all his limitations post-injury got decent game time in Bulgaria and Romania. Liam Kearney was a cultured player at his level and was wanted by Heerenveen. Tellingly, Jack himself played abroad previously with Cambuur. IDK why people are so fatalistic. If he's as good as we all think he is, the new manager will select him. If he fulfills the potential we know he has, he could use this as a springboard to a move to a higher profile club. Teams in Greece, Turkey, Holland and Scandinavia are more likely to scout a player playing in Cyprus than Ireland. It's evident that he's more suited to playing his football outside of the UK. Worst case scenario, he ends up back in Ireland and is beloved by local fans again.

Whatever the scenario, I don't think he's ever going to be as integral for us as Hoolahan or Andy Reid were, and they only had about 4 or 5 campaigns between them.
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Graham Carey's doing fine at CSKA Sofia. Connor Ronan fared better in Slovakia than he did at League One level. Conor Henderson, with all his limitations post-injury got decent game time in Bulgaria and Romania. Liam Kearney was a cultured player at his level and was wanted by Heerenveen. Tellingly, Jack himself played abroad previously with Cambuur. IDK why people are so fatalistic. If he's as good as we all think he is, the new manager will select him. If he fulfills the potential we know he has, he could use this as a springboard to a move to a higher profile club. Teams in Greece, Turkey, Holland and Scandinavia are more likely to scout a player playing in Cyprus than Ireland. It's evident that he's more suited to playing his football outside of the UK. Worst case scenario, he ends up back in Ireland and is beloved by local fans again.

Whatever the scenario, I don't think he's ever going to be as integral for us as Hoolahan or Andy Reid were, and they only had about 4 or 5 campaigns between them.

How often have we seen our midfield be dominated by players playing in average/lower level leagues around Europe in the last 10-15 years. Some leagues just suit a more technical level of player, and so does international football. 

He could still be a useful player for us, even if he's not playing in a more glamourous league like the Championship. 

He only signed a week ago, and has had a 5 minute cameo. Let's give him a chance. If it doesn't work out, then fair enough. But to be writing him, or any other player, after barely getting a foot in the door is ridiculous.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
Donegalman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donegalman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:10pm
Not in the squad for there game today.
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:28pm
Might still need a week or two to get his fitness back. Not played a game in 2 months 
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:33pm
Yeah I wouldn't read too much into that tbh, most coaches on the continent put a huge emphasis on the tactical side of the game whereby players need to have a full understanding of where they should be in and out of possession. That itself could take a fair few training sessions to fully grasp, whereas you would imagine McCarthy's approach would definitely be more off the cuff and loose.

"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:40pm
I wonder is it a case of the manager not having a clue who he is  - but would be more familiar with the rest of the Cypriot players.

I see Joe Garner signed too as of the 1st Jan - not in the squad either.

Only time will tell.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I wonder is it a case of the manager not having a clue who he is  - but would be more familiar with the rest of the Cypriot players.

I see Joe Garner signed too as of the 1st Jan - not in the squad either.

Only time will tell.

Yeah that could well be the case either,

I wouldn't be panicking mind, he's only with them a week and some are already saying "he's frozen out" Confused
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 7:32pm
Apoel seem to be doing OK today without Mick and Jack anyway, currently winning 2-0.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2021 at 8:07pm
Career over now I’d say. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 116117118119120 138>
  Share Topic