You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 138>
Author
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 11:55am
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Shouldn't we hold off and judge him after a period of time?.
He's only over there a few days. 

McCarthy being fired was a very likely outcome considering the amount of managers they've had recently.

For me nothing changes - he still has to earn his place in the team, and it's early days yet.
This. If anything you could portray it as positive for Jack as hell more than likely have a manager now who’ll try retain possession and suit him 

Was thinking the same thing you’d think it was Armageddon for Byrne the way people are talking on this forum. 

I’m far from a fanboy of his but relax for gods sake he’s 24 now plenty experience I’m sure he will more then hold his own/show he’s capable of playing his way into that side regularly.

Let it play out certainly for 6-8 months before making any major judgements. 
Sponsored Links

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:03pm
Its not ideal but let's see how it goes. Would been a cool story with Mccarthy and byrne there making a big impact in Cyprus. Byrne will just have to do it on his own
The Huntacha View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Huntacha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

Shouldn't we hold off and judge him after a period of time?.
He's only over there a few days. 

McCarthy being fired was a very likely outcome considering the amount of managers they've had recently.

For me nothing changes - he still has to earn his place in the team, and it's early days yet.

Exactly. If he's good enough, which he should be, he'll get his chance no matter who the manager is.

I wonder what his fitness is like though. You'd imagine he was training as hard as possible knowing that he'd be leaving Rovers. So hopefully he's fit enough to hit the ground running when he gets a chance.
Jimmy Bullard - "Favorite band? Elastic."
ShamtheRam View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShamtheRam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:35pm
If anything McCarthy getting the chop is a good thing for Jack surely? 

A rigid McCarthy system is probably the worst thing for him and now JB potentially has a new guy coming in who will offer a better more expansive game that will only compliment his ability.
YBIG NPF founder and CEO
GaretFarellysNutSack View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaretFarellysNutSack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:49pm
No brainer for me, a limited player who's not going to get a prem team or probably even a decent championship team so he's offered a life on the med island of Cyprus. It's a lovely place with great weather. I'd be all over it if I were him, rather than play in the poxy midlands of England somewhere. 
He doesn't exist merely to serve Ireland fans. 
Wes_Wanderers View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wes_Wanderers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by GaretFarellysNutSack GaretFarellysNutSack wrote:

No brainer for me, a limited player who's not going to get a prem team or probably even a decent championship team so he's offered a life on the med island of Cyprus. It's a lovely place with great weather. I'd be all over it if I were him, rather than play in the poxy midlands of England somewhere. 

Always thought this was a ridiculous description, every player is "limited" by definition. What you really want to say is that you think he is cr*p, but given that he has regularly shown that he is quite good you do not think you will get away with that
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 1:37pm
New manager in already LOL Savva Poursaitidis 
You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Wes_Wanderers Wes_Wanderers wrote:

Always thought this was a ridiculous description, every player is "limited" by definition. What you really want to say is that you think he is cr*p, but given that he has regularly shown that he is quite good you do not think you will get away with that

To be fair he has shown himself to be quite good only at a certain level ( LoI and the lower reaches of the Dutch league). He was not  good enough when he played in Scotland and the English lower leagues.

To be of any real relevance to the Irish national team he needs to show that he can be successful at a higher level. He has yet to do this in his career but he has plenty of time yet.

Of course, as someone already pointed out, his career doesn't exist purely for our benefit. If he can't get in the team out in Cyprus but chooses to sit tight and take the money and the lifestyle who are we to criticize him?
t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 3:34pm
Originally posted by You Tell Me You Tell Me wrote:

To be fair he has shown himself to be quite good only at a certain level ( LoI and the lower reaches of the Dutch league). He was not  good enough when he played in Scotland and the English lower leagues.

To be of any real relevance to the Irish national team he needs to show that he can be successful at a higher level. He has yet to do this in his career but he has plenty of time yet.

Of course, as someone already pointed out, his career doesn't exist purely for our benefit. If he can't get in the team out in Cyprus but chooses to sit tight and take the money and the lifestyle who are we to criticize him?

He never really got going in England and Scotland. Yes a failure on paper but there can be other factors and doesn't mean your cannot succeed the next time. 
Look at Salah and De Bruyne. Two castaways at big clubs in their youth and now would get into any team in the world. 
Not comparing their talent levels with Byrne but the situation of just because it didn't work out before doesn't mean you were never good enough. Jack has also discussed he had personal issues at the time. 

E2016 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote E2016 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 4:03pm
There wasnt a prayer in hell of Jack going to Cyprus if not for Mick being there already, from that standpoint alone it's a massive blow to him.

Byrne has also spoken about homesickness in the past and now he is marooned in Cyprus of all places.

He isn't going to be participating in European competition, and is off in a league that anybody from this island couldn't give a jot about. A league which is barely better than the LOI when you look at the matchups between LOI and Cypriot clubs in Europe over the past few years.

If Jack was to leave Ireland it should have been for a big step up in quality, not a sideways move to the middle of nowhere.

It is a massive blow to him, and anybody trying to paint this as a positive is utterly, utterly deluded.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 4:40pm
Your comparison between the Cypriot league and the LOI is not based in facts, as shown by the gulf between them based on the UEFA rankings:
https://www.football-coefficient.eu/coefficient/#table-country-coefficients

But your other statements can be argued for sure.
It's clear Mick brought Jack there - managers often like to sign what they know.
It's up to Jack now to prove what he is capable of, and I just hope he is given the opportunity.

As for a league nobody gives a jot about, I'd say that applies to every league bar the elite ones, so it's  a bit disingenuous.

Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 6:11pm
Read somewhere that Mick himself faced a similar situation when he signed for Celtic. The manager who signed him was Davie Hay, who was almost immediately sacked, but Mick nonetheless went on to have a successful time at Parkhead.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 6:34pm

He showed his ability in the Ducth league against the top teams . What does lower reaches of Ducth league even mean .
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 8:50pm
Well the team he was playing for in the Eredivisie came stone last that season, so I think it's clear enough what it means.
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 9:16pm
[QUOTE=You Tell Me]Well the team he was playing for in the Eredivisie came stone last that season, so I think it's clear enough what it means.[/QUOTE

He played in the Dutch league, he played the very same teams as the everyone else, there is no lower reaches or upper.
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2021 at 9:24pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

[QUOTE=You Tell Me]Well the team he was playing for in the Eredivisie came stone last that season, so I think it's clear enough what it means.[/QUOTE

He played in the Dutch league, he played the very same teams as the everyone else, there is no lower reaches or upper.

Yes, there is. That's the exact purpose of a league.
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 10:25am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by ShamtheRam ShamtheRam wrote:

If anything McCarthy getting the chop is a good thing for Jack surely? 

A rigid McCarthy system is probably the worst thing for him and now JB potentially has a new guy coming in who will offer a better more expansive game that will only compliment his ability.
Or will look up his record and say "no thanks". 

Chairman to new manager: here are the files you requested on the players.
New Manager: Excellent I read this file on Byrne and I will discard of Byrne
Chairman: the player is here in front of you, you can watch him train?
New Manager: No need I have read the files and the ybig forum. Sell him today

It would damage this forums' reputation
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2021 at 5:01pm

Well he's stuck there now for better or worse. As I understand it he can only play for two clubs during a football calendar year (July to  June) so his five minute cameo for APOEL means he can't play for a further club until next season. 

Back in the LOI come July. 

He went all the way out to the back of beyond for one reason, for "the best Irish manager since Jack". Now the reason has gone, he'll be back home facing Pats and Shels in no time, instead of Portugal and Serbia.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 115116117118119 138>
  Share Topic