You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 138>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 4:16pm
Cillian Sheridan and Graham Carey have both played for teams beyond Britain & Ireland who replace managers several times a year. It hasn't really affected their playing time. I wouldn't worry in that regard. Teams in places like Eastern Europe, Greece, Cyprus and Turkey generally have more time for playmakers and attacking-minded midfielders.

In fact, my hope would be that Russia, Greece or Turkey might be the next step for Byrne's development if he impresses sufficiently in Cyprus like we all know he's capable of doing.
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 4:18pm
A gamble worth taking for Jack. If he puts in performances in Cyprus that garner him similar praise to what he received here, then Apoel would more than likely be moving him on in 18 months in order to get some $$$. 

He'd hardly hang on in Cyprus after 2.5 year contract if he's ripping it up. And unlike Rovers, Apoel won't let him leave for nothing.

Only worry is when you look at Apoel's recent history with managers... Factors outside of Jack's control might not fall in his favour. 

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 5:38pm
Best of luck to him whatever he chooses to do but i don't really see him as the future of ireland football, would say hes in and around his peak now and may be added to a few squads but he's unlikely to improve them team.
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 6:42pm
Originally posted by Het-field Het-field wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

If he is good enough, he will still play.

The same risk applies to any other club or manager that signs him.

This in a nutshell.

If this move happens, more power to Byrne, and hopefully Kenny will keep close tabs on him. Like Cullen moving to Anderlecht, players in their 20s should be complimented from moving beyond the easy confines of domestic football, or cross channel. If leagues like Scotland's are seen as good enough, places like Belgium and Cyprus have their place too. Its easy to accept what we are familiar with, and have easy access to, but this move might give him access to regular European Football, more honours, and it could well be the making of him in the longer term.

Essentially it and if he hits the ground running and is getting rave reviews he could easily get a bigger move again. He’s 24 that’s young there seems to be this modern day notion that players are veterans once they hit 25 not the case he could get a bigger move in 3 years time and still only be 27 with another 5 years at least in front of him if staying fit.

Good luck to him football does exist outside of England. Cullen and Byrne should be a lesson in that sense. Also if lads playing in Scotland are good enough to be selected it’s laughable suggesting Byrne or Cullen shouldn’t get picked for Ireland if they are playing well in Belgium and Cyprus especially clubs like Anderlecht and APOEL big clubs with tradition.
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 6:57pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Best of luck to him whatever he chooses to do but i don't really see him as the future of ireland football, would say hes in and around his peak now and may be added to a few squads but he's unlikely to improve them team.

why would a 24 old be at the peak
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

And rightly so, he was playing with a club that would be at best be on a par with a lower League 1 club which shouldn't warrant game time with Ireland in a competitive game imo. (Something he actually managed to do)

Why would he need to go to Cyprus? Every professional club records their games, Kenny will get sent recordings and work alongside the Irish analysis team to cut recordings involving Byrne of the good and bad, it's all rather simple and straight forward to lets not make it out to be some big deal.

Part of the job description is, you go to watch your players. Even Trap had to do it, as watching your players in person tells you more than a video does. Whether he wants to do it or not, is a different matter. When there are other players rather nearer to where Kenny is based than Cyprus, those ones will be prioritised. 

If he's only considered League 1 standard, (which he shouldn't be) there have been lots of League 1 players in this team in the past 15-20 years. So that shouldn't be a barrier to him getting playing time. Based in Cyprus would be out of sight, out of mind. 

Yeah it's part of the job description, but not during a pandemic Confused

Trap had to do it? Trap was forced to do it more like and showed absolutely zero interest in attending club matches until he was made to.

I didn't say that if you read my post, I stated that Shamrock Rovers would be nothing more than a lower league 1 side at best. Nothing to do with Jack Byrne as a player, hence Apoel being a step up.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
BohsinMunich View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BohsinMunich Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 9:04pm
No way can I believe some of those  those numbers on that salary link.
For Leeds it says Philips is on 4.5k  yet an u18 on our B team is 16.5k a week.
Cooper the Capt on 6.5k.
doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 9:08pm
No way there bull manure numbers
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 4:49am
Probably want to look at a few different data sources. I don’t think Sheffield United would have a payscale that could accommodate Sander Berge while paying their captain 7k a week.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 10:20am
Seems weird. Various sources have Jagielka as top earner followed by Berge and McGoldrick. Club's position is dire at the moment and Egan is likely to get another Premiership club if or when they go down, possible for Stevens too but maybe less likely.
Citizen View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Citizen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 11:35am
no way he is getting 15k per week. Most championship players wouldn’t be even near that. No way John Egan is on 7k a week. Be on at least 20k in his new deal, I’d say he has a clause of a 50% cut if they get relegated though. 
My Views are my own and do not in any way represent this site.

'The FAI are the dysfunctional body that other dysfunctional bodies call Galacticos' - Declan Lynch (Sunday Indo)
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:02pm
Has officially been presented as an APOEL player.
kevincronin2000 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cork Airport Dogging Administrator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevincronin2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:21pm
Looks like Mick has his work cut out, lost to bottom of the table side 2-0 on January 2nd.
time is the stuff that life is made of, don't waste it.
Fozz View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 2:54pm
Happy for Byrne.
Will keep an eye on his progress and I'd love to see him settle in fast and do well for himself there.
Won't be easy for sure but if he can do well, then no reason why he can't get a few caps this year.
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 3:35pm
twitter looks like there are big problems at the club with fans and owners so maybe not a very stable environment unfortunately 
TheNumber6 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheNumber6 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jan 2021 at 9:30pm
Risky move.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 6:11pm
On the bench for their game today. APOEL lead 1-0 very early on.
DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jan 2021 at 7:53pm
On for his debut with APOEL 2-1 down
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 113114115116117 138>
  Share Topic