Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 138>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 10:04pm
6k here at home sounds like a fooking dream. Must be hard to turn down. Or has he actually defo turned it down yet?

Edited by doherty - 28 Dec 2020 at 10:05pm
Sponsored Links

JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

6k here at home sounds like a fooking dream. Must be hard to turn down. Or has he actually defo turned it down yet?

True...so the money in Cyprus must be at least 10k a week,suppose you’ve got to hand it to him...he could pocket 6k a week by staying at home and barley testing himself but he’s chosen to go abroad.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 10:39pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

True...so the money in Cyprus must be at least 10k a week,suppose you’ve got to hand it to him...he could pocket 6k a week by staying at home and barley testing himself but he’s chosen to go abroad.
Wherever he goes I feel he will be barley testing.
planning View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Football version of Comical Ali.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote planning Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

And rightly so, he was playing with a club that would be at best be on a par with a lower League 1 club which shouldn't warrant game time with Ireland in a competitive game imo. (Something he actually managed to do)

Why would he need to go to Cyprus? Every professional club records their games, Kenny will get sent recordings and work alongside the Irish analysis team to cut recordings involving Byrne of the good and bad, it's all rather simple and straight forward to lets not make it out to be some big deal.

Part of the job description is, you go to watch your players. Even Trap had to do it, as watching your players in person tells you more than a video does. Whether he wants to do it or not, is a different matter. When there are other players rather nearer to where Kenny is based than Cyprus, those ones will be prioritised. 

If he's only considered League 1 standard, (which he shouldn't be) there have been lots of League 1 players in this team in the past 15-20 years. So that shouldn't be a barrier to him getting playing time. Based in Cyprus would be out of sight, out of mind. 
Four-Four-Two View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Four-Four-Two Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 10:44pm
Originally posted by planning planning wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

And rightly so, he was playing with a club that would be at best be on a par with a lower League 1 club which shouldn't warrant game time with Ireland in a competitive game imo. (Something he actually managed to do)

Why would he need to go to Cyprus? Every professional club records their games, Kenny will get sent recordings and work alongside the Irish analysis team to cut recordings involving Byrne of the good and bad, it's all rather simple and straight forward to lets not make it out to be some big deal.

Part of the job description is, you go to watch your players. Even Trap had to do it, as watching your players in person tells you more than a video does. Whether he wants to do it or not, is a different matter. When there are other players rather nearer to where Kenny is based than Cyprus, those ones will be prioritised. 

If he's only considered League 1 standard, (which he shouldn't be) there have been lots of League 1 players in this team in the past 15-20 years. So that shouldn't be a barrier to him getting playing time. Based in Cyprus would be out of sight, out of mind. 

you said he wouldn't go to cyprus to watch games because of covid but he cant go to any matches anywhere pretty much due to covid so it hardly matters
kevin100 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 1:23am
Your more likely to bloody get into Cyprus than Britain at the moment ever since Britain came up with their strain to justify the lastest lockdowns 😂😂

Seriously that is the least of his worries Kenny will no doubt get footage of him. 

If the 10k a week is true (sounds far fetched) APOELs highest paid player is on 11k currently from what I see so who knows?  

It’s the makings of a great move for him as far as I’m concerned and hope it works out for him as it’s a brave one.

t_rAndy View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t_rAndy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 2:06am
I dont know why people are getting on his case for choosing Apoel over rovers. Its a step up. Were there even any better teams or leagues in for him?

DeclanDaly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeclanDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 4:39am
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

I dont know why people are getting on his case for choosing Apoel over rovers. Its a step up. Were there even any better teams or leagues in for him?

I think a couple of reports alluded to teams in the Championship
and League One, perhaps another team on the continent, and MLS. No details on any offers.

I honestly have no idea how it’s going to turn out. even though I have a lot of faith in him as a player, it can be difficult to settle in a new league and there can be some preconceived notions of what Irish (or British) players bring to the table. I hope McCarthy is there for a while and puts faith in him as a creative player.

It’s an interesting statement of intent . Taking the path less travelled and good luck to him for doing that. Whether he performs well or not, I can’t see an English top flight club taking a shot on him. Next step could be Portugal, Austria, Holland, or something similar. Not bad for us, as long as he’s playing, fit, and enjoying his football.
You asked if I'd be anyone from history, fact or fiction, dead or alive:
I said "I'd be Tony Cascarino, circa 1995"
Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

and League One, perhaps another team on the continent, and MLS. No details on any offers.

I honestly have no idea how it’s going to turn out. even though I have a lot of faith in him as a player, it can be difficult to settle in a new league and there can be some preconceived notions of what Irish (or British) players bring to the table. I hope McCarthy is there for a while and puts faith in him as a creative player.

It’s an interesting statement of intent . Taking the path less travelled and good luck to him for doing that. Whether he performs well or not, I can’t see an English top flight club taking a shot on him. Next step could be Portugal, Austria, Holland, or something similar. Not bad for us, as long as he’s playing, fit, and enjoying his football.

The Cyprus move doesn't change much other than Jack's bank balance. He needed to move to a top league and he's not. So it's status quo. Same doubts, same criticisms. But in the unlikely scenario the €15k figure is correct, Jack will be earning more than John Egan, Enda Stevens and Dara O'Shea combined! Where would you prefer, Deco, Sheffield or Nicosia?

Really???   

Zinedine Kilbane 110 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Man City records obsession

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zinedine Kilbane 110 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 9:46am

Originally posted by Zinedine Kilbane 110 Zinedine Kilbane 110 wrote:

Originally posted by DeclanDaly DeclanDaly wrote:

The Cyprus move doesn't change much other than Jack's bank balance. He needed to move to a top league and he's not. So it's status quo. Same doubts, same criticisms. But in the unlikely scenario the €15k figure is correct, Jack will be earning more than John Egan, Enda Stevens and Dara O'Shea combined! Where would you prefer, Deco, Sheffield or Nicosia?

Really???   

On current contracts - Egan 7.5k (contract to 2024), Stevens 4k (2022), O'Shea 4k (2023). I assumed sterling for Jack - but it's probably Euro. 

If that’s true O’Shea and Stevens are the lowest paid premier league players! 
I’m guessing the win bonus are no good to them either.

From that Pogba earns more than the first XI Sheffield United team. That’s just wrong. 

McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 10:07am
4k a week for Stevens who is going on 31.

If that is true his agent needs a kick up the whole for not renegotiating last year when he was one of the top full backs in the league 

Edited by McG - 29 Dec 2020 at 10:07am
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

You Tell Me View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote You Tell Me Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 10:13am
Both John Egan and Enda Stevens signed new contracts as Premier League players this year. Absolutely no chance they signed contracts on those amounts, those figures will relate to their previous contracts. They'll probably reduce again once Sheffield  United are relegated though. O'Shea's figure could be right, he signed it just after breaking into the first team in the Championship so it's probably accurate. He won't be on that kind of money for much longer though.

Since leaving Cyprus Cillian Sheridan has played his football in Poland, Israel and New Zealand. I wouldn't be surprised if Byrne's career followed a similarly nomadic path from here, but he'll be set for life from the game if he's sensible with his cash.
Milky View Drop Down
Joe Lapira
Joe Lapira

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Milky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 11:26am
I'd be sceptical that a Premier League player could have an agent that bad...... 200k a year is fine and dandy is probably less than what said agent is earning like
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 11:59am
I was thinking there is no way that's true!

Kellegher has been earning 15k a year the last 2 years or so.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 12:11pm

Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

4k a week for Stevens who is going on 31.

If that is true his agent needs a kick up the whole for not renegotiating last year when he was one of the top full backs in the league 
According to that salary site, Stevens was on £2k-a-week before his new contract. Meanwhile, Sanchez while at Man Utd was earning £3.3k-an-hour. Obscene money (when it's someone else, of course).  

Just seems far too low to be true .

Now what i have been told at Burnley most players are on £15,000 to £45,000 a week the big money comes if once they reach 40 points in the league and at that Burnley should  stay up and the squad share a pool of cash at the end of the season . Now not sure how much it is but was told it all works out quite well compared to most players in the Prem .
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
zizu Kilbane View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zizu Kilbane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 3:50pm

I dont think that's the case to be fair. Jack is 24 and has successfully rehabilitated his career at Rovers over the past 2 year. This next move is THE move for him in his career. APOEL is undoubtedly a higher level than Rovers but they are a gamble because the club is unstable. He's going  their because Mick is managing them. If Mick leaves the what?
"Sometimes, sh*t happens, someone's gotta deal with it, and who ya gonna call?"
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 3:57pm
If he is good enough, he will still play.

The same risk applies to any other club or manager that signs him.
It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Het-field View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

By Appointment to His Majesty The King

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Het-field Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

If he is good enough, he will still play.

The same risk applies to any other club or manager that signs him.

This in a nutshell.

If this move happens, more power to Byrne, and hopefully Kenny will keep close tabs on him. Like Cullen moving to Anderlecht, players in their 20s should be complimented from moving beyond the easy confines of domestic football, or cross channel. If leagues like Scotland's are seen as good enough, places like Belgium and Cyprus have their place too. Its easy to accept what we are familiar with, and have easy access to, but this move might give him access to regular European Football, more honours, and it could well be the making of him in the longer term.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 112113114115116 138>
  Share Topic