You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 108109110111112 138>
Author
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by t_rAndy t_rAndy wrote:

Liked the way he was demanding the ball as soon as he got on too.
Given all of the injuries and suspensions and our need to just bloody score, I would definitely be looking for him to start on Wednesday. 

The single biggest downfall of most recent Irish midfields. Was great to see someone take responsibility. 
Sponsored Links

aviva8 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aviva8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 11:31am
Big mick according to reports looking to sign jack byrne
Green Cockade View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Cockade Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 6:01pm
Nottingham Forest are now reported to be in for him as well.
Hotlips_Hoolahan View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 6:12pm
Originally posted by Green Cockade Green Cockade wrote:

Confused

Chris Hughton had no time for Wes Hoolahan, a better player than Jack Byrne, when he was at Norwich. It would be a strange signing when you consider their place in the table, style of football, and the pressure he's already under at a team that is trigger happy with their managers.

I remember the uproar when MON repeatedly left Joao Carvalho out of the team. I could envision a similar future if Byrne went there.

If he did end up in the Championship, I'd picture him at a team like Rotherham or Coventry.

I think he'd fit in better somewhere like Barnsley, Huddersfield or Watford but they have foreign managers who probably don't have a clue who he is, and Watford can attract a higher standard of player anyway.
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Hotlips_Hoolahan Hotlips_Hoolahan wrote:

Confused

Chris Hughton had no time for Wes Hoolahan, a better player than Jack Byrne, when he was at Norwich. It would be a strange signing when you consider their place in the table, style of football, and the pressure he's already under at a team that is trigger happy with their managers.

I remember the uproar when MON repeatedly left Joao Carvalho out of the team. I could envision a similar future if Byrne went there.

If he did end up in the Championship, I'd picture him at a team like Rotherham or Coventry.

I think he'd fit in better somewhere like Barnsley, Huddersfield or Watford but they have foreign managers who probably don't have a clue who he is, and Watford can attract a higher standard of player anyway.

Bit of a shock for many footy players in Ireland but there are leagues outside of England........

Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by avfc avfc wrote:

Confused

Bit of a shock for many footy players in Ireland but there are leagues outside of England........

In fairness to Jack, he's hinted that he'd like to go back to the Netherlands and there's also alleged interest from Cyprus and Belgium.

Long gone are the days where there would be Irish players in Spain, France and Italy. And there have been lads like Aaron Connolly and Sinclair Armstrong who've had links to Germany, where they would presumably go into development teams, but we've yet to see anyone from here follow in the footsteps of the likes of Oliver Burke, Jadon Sancho or Jude Bellingham who've all played in the Bundesliga in recent years.
IrishCanadian View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IrishCanadian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 12:42am
Oliver Burke’s time in Germany led to him being labelled by the coaching staff as the most tactically stupid player they’d ever come across. One of our lads must be able to match that. 
Frabhoy View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frabhoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 1:42am
Originally posted by IrishCanadian IrishCanadian wrote:

Oliver Burke’s time in Germany led to him being labelled by the coaching staff as the most tactically stupid player they’d ever come across. One of our lads must be able to match that. 

When he was at Celtic, he was a complete headless chicken upfront but has all the physical attributes, speed and a decent touch. Actually feel sorry as he hasn't been able to settle anywhere. Sheffield United could do with him coming good.

Jack Byrne would definitely not have that problem in Germany. I think the Bundesliga would be a good league for Jack. Interesting to see the offers he gets 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 2:11am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Confused

You're probably right, but it speaks volumes that a player often touted as a cure to our creativity woes should target Barnsley, Huddersfield, Coventry and Rotherham as a destination. 

There are teams at a similar level to us who select players playing at worse teams in worse leagues. Glen Kamara was quite handy against us and he broke through for Finland while playing at Dundee. The majority of their players were playing for teams worse than Barnsley or Rotherham.

I'd imagine there are domestic based players who couldn't really be any worse than Cyrus Christie's been for example.

You have to cut your cloth according to your situation.

Dundalk scored 8 goals in the Europa League proper, and Byrne's generally excelled in Rovers European games, so there's evidence that players like Byrne can flourish in certain Intl games if they have a more solid base than what Rovers and Dundalk operate with. There was one errant pass in particular in one of the Nations League games that caused consternation but Hourihane, Arter and Molumby have played hospital passes and had brainfarts at points as well so I won't condemn Byrne for that when he's playing the percentages well.

Theoretically, we could utilise him depending on the situation i.e. particular opposition, as was the case during swathes of Hoolahan's Intl career.

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 2:12am
I think he shud stay away from Engand for now. Go somewhere that he is almost guaranteed to play most weeks. Holland seems to fit the bill perfectly as he would at least be known there so i am sure they may be some interest there. 
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hotlips_Hoolahan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 2:17am
Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

I think he shud stay away from Engand for now. Go somewhere that he is almost guaranteed to play most weeks. Holland seems to fit the bill perfectly as he would at least be known there so i am sure they may be some interest there. 

That's the best case scenario for me. He seemed to rise to the occasion in the big matches there. And 4 goals was a decent return from 27 matches at that stage of his career. Quite a split. Some awful teams who he could boss, but equally, half-a-dozen pretty strong teams he could test himself against on a regular basis. Also could operate as a pathway to a league like the Bundesliga, or give him a better chance of getting the right English move than his form at Shamrock Rovers would warrant.

On a somewhat unrelated note, I still remember when Cork City blocked Liam Kearney from moving to Heerenveen, who have some of the most iconic jerseys in European football. Unhappy

Edited by Hotlips_Hoolahan - 12 Dec 2020 at 2:18am
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 9:54am
I think the Championship is more likely to chew him up and spit him out than most other leagues. It is such a competitive league and very physical, so many games and big pressure on managers, if a player doesn't hit the ground running he will be replaced. Agreed would love to see him go back to Holland. I'd love to know how many offers he has gotten or will get, surely a player of his quality, age and for free would be getting a lot of interest. You'd wonder are all clubs on the continent aware of him. 
avfc View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote avfc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:01am

If Byrne wants to be a factor he must do the hard yakka and prove his worth. Simple as that. 

What level is the Cypriot League? League 1 maybe?

St Pauli would be ideal, he'd love the Reeperbahn
tetsujin1979 View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tetsujin1979 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 10:58am

If Byrne wants to be a factor he must do the hard yakka and prove his worth. Simple as that. 

Not many league one clubs in the europa league
All goals, red & yellow cards posted on mastodon and facebook
JoxerDaly View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoxerDaly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 11:09am
Originally posted by tetsujin1979 tetsujin1979 wrote:

Not many league one clubs in the europa league

Or internationals. Slovakia have a few lads playing in Cyrpus with plenty of caps. Would be a good move and chance of European football, good weather and if he does well a move to a bigger league could be on cards like Greece or Turkey.
Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 12:26pm
Playing in Cyprus? sure he may as well wave a white flag if that's the level he is at his age.

Hes matured as a person over the last couple of years, I'd say he should go for it, aim for a championship team and really test himself and give it his all. 

If he fails he'll always find a place in the loi 
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 12:30pm
Originally posted by Left foot Left foot wrote:

Playing in Cyprus? sure he may as well wave a white flag if that's the level he is at his age.

Hes matured as a person over the last couple of years, I'd say he should go for it, aim for a championship team and really test himself and give it his all. 

If he fails he'll always find a place in the loi 

Failure is all well and good and a return to LOI etc. etc. but he will have to go where the money is good. If he fails and returns, he will unlikely ever get another shot at a decent contract that could potentially set him up for life. 

Decent level and good bunse needed. 
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Left foot View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Left foot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 12:42pm
Hes nearly 25, should be in his prime right now. Should be pushing the boat out 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 108109110111112 138>
  Share Topic