Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 138>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 4:38pm
Originally posted by JoxerDaly JoxerDaly wrote:

Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

He's played 6 times for St Mirren.

Yes and has done well. Hasnt been out of the team since he signed .

Good for him, so should be playing for Ireland based on his performances for St Mirren?

I didn't know you were watching all of St Mirrens games.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Sponsored Links

Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 5:48pm
Regardless of anyone's opinion on Byrne, given Stephen Kenny's style of play we're going to need a designated number 10. There is ZERO current players in the senior team who has the ability of Byrne to play the number 10 role that Kenny aspires to have. 

Given that Connor Ronan is Kenny's only other viable option, we'll have to assume, form being good enough, that Byrne will be a regular in Kenny's squads. 
Jebediah Springfield View Drop Down
Ronnie Whelan
Ronnie Whelan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jebediah Springfield Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 5:59pm
I wouldn't say it's a given that he'll be part of the squads under Kenny. He needs to show it week in, week out, and especially in Europe.

Plus, the midfield might get a little crowded once Kenny comes in. I'm sure one or two of the current batch may be done after this campaign but he will likely include the following over the next 12 months:
- Molumby, Knight, Ronan and now Smallbone all have good chances of being involved you would think. Add that to Hendrick, Hourihane, McCarthy (?), Brown and Cullen.

Byrne needs to compete with these boys, which won't be easy if he's in the LOI unfortunately. Playing against semi-pros every few weeks doesn't help his consistency and intensity for when it matters.
Suffering weather-wise
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:37pm
He's a regular in McCarthy's squads too and McCarthy has watched him at Rovers a number of times.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by Jebediah Springfield Jebediah Springfield wrote:

I wouldn't say it's a given that he'll be part of the squads under Kenny. He needs to show it week in, week out, and especially in Europe.

Plus, the midfield might get a little crowded once Kenny comes in. I'm sure one or two of the current batch may be done after this campaign but he will likely include the following over the next 12 months:
- Molumby, Knight, Ronan and now Smallbone all have good chances of being involved you would think. Add that to Hendrick, Hourihane, McCarthy (?), Brown and Cullen.

Byrne needs to compete with these boys, which won't be easy if he's in the LOI unfortunately. Playing against semi-pros every few weeks doesn't help his consistency and intensity for when it matters.

Who in the number 10 role will Jack be competing with? 

One of the main reasons he's currently getting into the Ireland squad is that he offers something we don't have elsewhere. 

JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by Banjaxed Banjaxed wrote:

One of the main reasons he's currently getting into the Ireland squad is that he offers something we don't have

Means nothing if he isn’t getting on the pitch to show it.....it’s tokenism by McCarthy 

Edited by JUICEBOMB - 02 Mar 2020 at 9:23pm
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

One of the main reasons he's currently getting into the Ireland squad is that he offers something we don't have

Means nothing if he isn’t getting on the pitch to show it.....it’s tokenism by McCarthy 

When it comes to McCarthy I don't think it's tokenism it's pragmatism.

He'll still play the same midfield that's obviously not working. You can guarantee if Jack Byrne does get a run out it will be Ireland 2-0 down throwing the kitchen sink at it. Too little, too late.

Mick's not stupid. He knows the quality that Jack has. Unfortunately for McCarthy, he can't shake the mentality that a midfielder like Byrne 'is a risk'.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2020 at 10:28pm

Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

When it comes to McCarthy I don't think it's tokenism it's pragmatism.

He'll still play the same midfield that's obviously not working. You can guarantee if Jack Byrne does get a run out it will be Ireland 2-0 down throwing the kitchen sink at it. Too little, too late.

Mick's not stupid. He knows the quality that Jack has. Unfortunately for McCarthy, he can't shake the mentality that a midfielder like Byrne 'is a risk'.

Maybe.....but at club level “the risk” isn’t Byrnes talent it seems to be more Byrne himself.when the bigger chance offers itself up(and by that I mean international squads/games etc) you’d guess he applies himself more,which suits him because international get togethers are only a few days and he can keep on the tracks for that....club level over the long haul,at higher level that’s his problem....but I can never see the day when he’s a regular for us,maybe in his later years when he cops on...maybe.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:45am
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
gmfc90 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gmfc90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2020 at 10:58am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

https://twitter.com/Jackb_8/status/1234974220867629056?s=08

Alan Mannus will be jealous
Danger here, OH NO
oldbilly View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldbilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2020 at 1:49am

Edited by oldbilly - 06 Mar 2020 at 7:45am
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 9:48pm
get that f**king dub off commentary😂. f**king headwrecker 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2020 at 10:24pm
MOTM tonight, excellent performance and another goal.

I hope he finishes out the season with Shamrock Rovers this year, they go on a little run in Europe and then come October/November there's a move on the cards to a club across the water or even further afield. 

At that point he will have 2 full seasons of playing week in week out in the LOI under his belt, it will be time to establish himself in a better league if he wants to make an impact at international level.
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
AonSceal19 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AonSceal19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2020 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by AonSceal19 AonSceal19 wrote:

get that f**king dub off commentary😂. f**king headwrecker 
For the record it wasn’t national treasure Brian Kerr 
“Randolph sends it long…and Shane Long is in behind the German defence… Shane Long against Neuer…. 1-0!.. What a moment!”
PaddyDaCulchie View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaddyDaCulchie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 3:02am
Originally posted by Mr Brick Mr Brick wrote:

Originally posted by Green Devil Green Devil wrote:

MOTM tonight, excellent performance and another goal.

I hope he finishes out the season with Shamrock Rovers this year, they go on a little run in Europe and then come October/November there's a move on the cards to a club across the water or even further afield. 

At that point he will have 2 full seasons of playing week in week out in the LOI under his belt, it will be time to establish himself in a better league if he wants to make an impact at international level.

Hi GD: A bit off topic but ... why does Jack Byrne play at LOI level if, as some believe, he's a class act. I know he has a colourful back catalogue, but with a bit more maturity now on board, surely he could revisit more lofty ambitions in UK or further afield. It would require a modest initiation - Luton, Rotherham, Fleetwood  (currently have a world-class defensive midfielder!) but if he's as talented as often  touted a big move would surely follow. Celtic would seem an obvious final destination - big club, modest league. I mean no disrespect to LOI but, realistically, it's taking him nowhere despite the token interest of Irish big-squad selection.

He wouldn't get near the Celtic team anytime soon with Christie, Rogic and occasionally Ntcham rotating in the advanced midfield position. He did ok in L1 with Oldham but I reckon he be better off going back to Netherlands to a team like Vitesse if a team of that standard would be interested. 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:04am
You would have to question the players commitment to the professional game abroad, I think he just likes his COMFORTS a bit much which he can enjoy whilst playing at home at the level he is playing, a talented player none the less
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Cabra Hoop View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cabra Hoop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 9:20am
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

You would have to question the players commitment to the professional game abroad, I think he just likes his COMFORTS a bit much which he can enjoy whilst playing at home at the level he is playing, a talented player none the less

I think you need to educate yourself a little on the serious personal problems Jack was going through towards the end of his time in the UK.  
" BFC always gives me a laugh........ "
Mr. Snrub View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mr. Snrub Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2020 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Cabra Hoop Cabra Hoop wrote:

Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

I think you need to educate yourself a little on the serious personal problems Jack was going through towards the end of his time in the UK.  

What personal problems are you referring to?
"Here's Robbie Keane...... yeeeessss! That is no more than Ireland deserve!"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9091929394 138>
  Share Topic