You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jack Byrne

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 138>
Author
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 9:28am
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

he done nothing that you'd expect from an international player and that's pass the ball well.he never stood out (for me) against a very poor international team.last night was his time to shine and he just didn't do it.people on here saying he was "brilliant " and "best player on park" really need to get a grip...looking at him last night...he's league one level...and an average on at that.

Nobody stood out really though. None of our midfield has stood out in any game in 2019 apart from maybe the Georgia game at home, Jack is more comfortable on the ball than arguably all of our other midfielders and definitely the most adventurous with his passing. He might not be stand out good every game but he offers something that we are crying out for and nobody else seems to offer at the moment.
Sponsored Links

pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 9:32am
Jack is more comfortable on tha ball than our other midfielders in training games with New Zealand and Bulgaria, there is huge doubt whether he would be as comfortable against players like Delaney or Schone are actually pressing him. There’s reason to believe he may not get a kick. 
CillDara View Drop Down
Davey Langan
Davey Langan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CillDara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 10:18am
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

Jack is more comfortable on tha ball than our other midfielders in training games with New Zealand and Bulgaria, there is huge doubt whether he would be as comfortable against players like Delaney or Schone are actually pressing him. There’s reason to believe he may not get a kick. 

I'm not expecting or calling for him to start tonight as it would be a big step up. But why not try him out against the likes of Georgia or Gibraltar? Our current midfield dont offer anything on the ball so even if you are right and he doesn't offer anything we are still in the situation we are in.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 10:21am
Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

I'm not expecting or calling for him to start tonight as it would be a big step up. But why not try him out against the likes of Georgia or Gibraltar? Our current midfield dont offer anything on the ball so even if you are right and he doesn't offer anything we are still in the situation we are in.
No, because he may well offer even less off the ball, which I believe to be likely, thus meaning we are in a much worse situation.
There is some logic to the ‘horses for courses’ argument, but given the Gibraltar and Georgia games are in the past it makes the point moot. 
Green Devil View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Aye Kes, I've pissed me-self again

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Green Devil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 11:31am

Originally posted by CillDara CillDara wrote:

No, because he may well offer even less off the ball, which I believe to be likely, thus meaning we are in a much worse situation.
There is some logic to the ‘horses for courses’ argument, but given the Gibraltar and Georgia games are in the past it makes the point moot. 

Of course there is and that's what progressive teams do, they adapt and change personnel depending on the opposition.

Granted the Gibraltar games have been and gone "but" against sides that won't press us and basically retreat into their shell behind the half way line when they haven't got the ball, the worst thing we can do is hoof the ball back to them.

People completely underestimate the value of ball retention, even against the minnows. 

On Byrne himself, I think he needs to leave the LOI and play in a better league if he's ever going to be a starter for Ireland.

Playing Waterford or Bohemians etc week in week out isn't going to prepare him for games against Croatia, Wales, Sweden etc 
"He drives two Ferraris; I think he's a very lucky lad to have 50 caps for Ireland,"

Eamonn Dunphy on Glenn Whelan
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 11:39am
I don’t disagree, although I am still sceptical if Byrne is good enough to play against the likes of Georgia. That too is a step up from the LOI. 
As you say, he needs to prove himself regularly at a decent level.
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by rolo rolo wrote:

Originally posted by doherty doherty wrote:

the whole jack likes a drink line is getting a little tiresome i must say.

Yeah and as pointed out elsewhere, very hypocritical.

There was one poster yesterday who wrote "I love friendlies, they give me an excuse to drink". No one batted an eyelid at this.

The fact is, there are a group of maybe 300 or 400 or more (I have no clue, dont go to away games anymore) Irish people, who are mostly on this forum too, who use all their annual leave to travel to such exotic places as Moldova and Switzerland and Wales, often never venturing beyond the capital city, or beyond a square in the capital city, or beyond a pub off the square in the capital city, to spend 2 and 3 days at a time drinking copious amounts of booze.

(Its fun, I enjoyed it, but its nowhere near as much fun as properly seeing the world out there).

We would have a much smaller amount of travelling fans if these trips were alcohol free.

And yet Jack Byrne is getting grief every day on this forum for enjoying a drink!!

Maybe best to look at yourselves first. 

But keep having digs at him, while you nervously wait for clarification on when you can book your 3-day bender in glamorous Bratislava in March.
Moldova and exotic in the same sentence LOL There's a touch of Fr Fintan Stack off your post. I've had my fun and that's all that matters
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 2:37pm
With the few chances he's been given at international level, he doesn't look out of place.

But he's not gotten any chance against the lower seeded teams in this group, so he's never going to be thrown on against Denmark, even as a sub.

As long as he's a Shamrock Rovers player he won't get into the team. It doesn't matter how much we need someone with the ability to pass the ball forwards. If he goes over to some rubbish team in England he'll magically become an option though.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 4:13pm
Not necessarily.

He needs to playing in the Championship to be considered, as he will be playing against a higher level of opposition than the LOI.

If he goes to a L1 side, getting selected will be a struggle but not impossible, and it will more to do with how he is performing at L1 level.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2019 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Terzino Terzino wrote:

With the few chances he's been given at international level, he doesn't look out of place.

But he's not gotten any chance against the lower seeded teams in this group, so he's never going to be thrown on against Denmark, even as a sub.

As long as he's a Shamrock Rovers player he won't get into the team. It doesn't matter how much we need someone with the ability to pass the ball forwards. If he goes over to some rubbish team in England he'll magically become an option though.
The few chances he has got are worthless, friendly matches are a waste of time.
Most rubbish clubs in England are at a higher level than he is currently playing, that’s the reality. 
Terzino View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Terzino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 8:06pm
That's the Catch 22 situation. If he plays well, the game was worthless. Though, no doubt, if he'd had a bad game that would be proof of his unsuitability at international level.

We don't have the luxury of hoping that Byrne moves abroad, and survives the meat grinder of the game in England's lower leagues, in order to prove himself worthy of a cap against even the likes of Gibraltar or Georgia.

Stephen Kenny is to take charge after the Euros. That's only based on his performance with Dundalk. The picture painted is that he is a sophisticate, while Mick McCarthy is a backwoods man of lower level English football, and constantly written off as a dinosaur on this forum.

Michael O'Neill got the job in the North based on his work with Shamrock Rovers, and we see how that worked out. Premier League experienced manager, Nigel Worthington was not such a success with the North.

A footballers value should be judged on a case by case basis, and not on a blanket assumption that they have to prove themselves elsewhere.

If Jack Byrne can pass the ball forwards, with greater success than our other midfielders, then he deserves a chance to prove it.
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 8:15pm
No, it wouldn’t prove anything. Whether a player does well or not in a friendly shouldn’t mean a thing. Training should be a higher measurement of their capabilities.

To be really considered when playing at a poor level you have to show that you are at least far superior to that level, it is far from unanimous that Byrne is that. 
BrendanD88 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

99% of my posts are emojis

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrendanD88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 8:25pm

No, it wouldn’t prove anything. Whether a player does well or not in a friendly shouldn’t mean a thing. Training should be a higher measurement of their capabilities.

To be really considered when playing at a poor level you have to show that you are at least far superior to that level, it is far from unanimous that Byrne is that. 

You a fan of friendlies PM?
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 8:28pm
Originally posted by BrendanD88 BrendanD88 wrote:

You a fan of friendlies PM?
LOL
Pauldaly1984 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pauldaly1984 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 9:26pm
T

I agree. He’s not far and away above that level. I wouldn’t Chance him in he Denmark game. Maybe should have got minutes against Gibraltar at home to ease him in. 
Banjaxed View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Banjaxed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by Pauldaly1984 Pauldaly1984 wrote:

T

I agree. He’s not far and away above that level. I wouldn’t Chance him in he Denmark game. Maybe should have got minutes against Gibraltar at home to ease him in. 

Ease him in. LOL

What does that even mean? How could a game against Gibraltar prepare him for a game against anyone. 

1 + 1 = potato

Some of the theories and thoughts about how and when a player should be given game time defy logic. All I know is Jack Byrne looks the most comfortable Irish player on the ball, and NO other player demands the ball on such a consistent basis as he does. 

Would he fair well against Denmark? Who knows. But the idea that a game against some pub team will eradicate the fear. The irony is that Jack Byrne is one of the few Irish players who doesn't look like he's about to shat himself when the ball is coming his direction. 

doherty View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Teenage Kicks, so hard to beat

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doherty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Nov 2019 at 11:32pm
This mullarkey that oh he wouldnt be able to do it against a better side is such rubbish. Do what exactly? Be able to pass the ball. I think he could manage it. I wouldnt have any problems seeing him play in a three with glenn and jeff. His first inclination is to get the ball turn and pass forward. Its not rocket science.
cildaratown View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

killdare town

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cildaratown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2020 at 4:36am
goal and an assist vs Dundalk
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 8687888990 138>
  Share Topic