You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : International : Republic Of Ireland
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

England v Ireland - Match Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 37383940>
Author
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:45am
we could put out a better team at present than the world cup 2002 team but our manager doesnt want to know about it .
Sponsored Links

rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:46am
Originally posted by Kerrzy Kerrzy wrote:

Originally posted by eire77 eire77 wrote:

No Im a realist. I see a really strong group of players there

You're on the disco biscuits there!
We've an average bunch of players who play for teams in the lower reaches of a league which is technically inferior to most other major European leagues. And a fair sprinkle who play in the lower division too.
Our current team isn't a patch on any of the other Irish teams which qualified for major tournaments. The closest would be the ageing USA 94 team which still had Keane, McGrath, Aldridge & Houghton to name just 4.

We have a very strong back 4. 

Tentatively say we have our best LB in over a decade, it has been a real problem area. 
Coleman - dont need to elaborate
O Shea - Back in his best position (by a country mile), multiple trophy winner is possibly in his Irish form of his life
The only problem area is O Shea's partner

On the wing whilst it is impossible to replace Duff of a decade ago we have strength in depth. McClean, Brady, Pilkington are 3 promising players in the PL and none even started the other night.

We have a centre mid that apparently can pick his club if papers are to be believed. Again I wont count any chickens but he can be as lucrative a midfielder we've had since Keane. Gibson if and when hes back has had the season of his career.

Again it's impossible to replace Keane of a few years ago but Long is no slouch and Walters isnt a bad deputy.

Did I mention Hoolahan?

This is a better team than we had in the last 2 campaigns when we had a passenger in Killer/Ward at LB, and RB in O Shea. A poor midfield (to say the least) and an out of form Doyle/Folan/Best etc. Thats before you debate the merits of a seemingly out of sorts Given and Sledge.

absolutely spot on.
Landon Donovan View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Sheldon Cooper

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Landon Donovan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:46am
So its ended 1 all, yeah.
wessi View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:46am
gufc and horsebox ye are pathetic , ye think this forum is only for those 100% behind trap i dont give a sh*t what ye post up here so why should ye care what i post ? fcuk off if ye dont like it .
irishmufc View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I love Vulvas

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irishmufc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 10:58am

We've an average bunch of players who play for teams in the lower reaches of a league which is technically inferior to most other major European leagues. And a fair sprinkle who play in the lower division too.
Our current team isn't a patch on any of the other Irish teams which qualified for major tournaments. The closest would be the ageing USA 94 team which still had Keane, McGrath, Aldridge & Houghton to name just 4.

Tentatively say we have our best LB in over a decade, it has been a real problem area. 
O Shea - Back in his best position (by a country mile), multiple trophy winner is possibly in his Irish form of his life

On the wing whilst it is impossible to replace Duff of a decade ago we have strength in depth. McClean, Brady, Pilkington are 3 promising players in the PL and none even started the other night.

We have a centre mid that apparently can pick his club if papers are to be believed. Again I wont count any chickens but he can be as lucrative a midfielder we've had since Keane. Gibson if and when hes back has had the season of his career.

Again it's impossible to replace Keane of a few years ago but Long is no slouch and Walters isnt a bad deputy.

Did I mention Hoolahan?

This is a better team than we had in the last 2 campaigns when we had a passenger in Killer/Ward at LB, and RB in O Shea. A poor midfield (to say the least) and an out of form Doyle/Folan/Best etc. Thats before you debate the merits of a seemingly out of sorts Given and Sledge.

Good post. Completely agree.
We all know we'll never be Germany but we've always shown we're in the running to finish second and be in the mix for the plyoffs which is about as much as we can realistically.Finishing 2nd even if we ultimately fail to qualify is for me still a good achievement for a country of our size and our relatively small pool of talent.Even if our players are playing for the teams in the bottom half of the EPL, they're still playing top flight football in one of the most popular leagues in the world.

I'm not trying to bash trap but I genuinely think we could be even in a better position in this group if there was a change of formation and certain personnel.I don't think there's any real doubt over the last 2 years under trap that teams have copped on to us and by sticking with 2 in the middle against the opposition's teams 3 when we come up against a 5 man midfield, we're always going to be up against it really. I find under trap we're not giving ourselves an equal chance by not playing to our strengths everytime we play and that's the sickening thing. I'm really looking forward to seeing a fresh approach by whoever comes in next. (hopefully McCarthy will come back)

Edited by irishmufc - 01 Jun 2013 at 11:01am
Wings? They're only the band The Beatles could have been.
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:05am
It's my biggest issue with Trap...yeah everyone team would be different...but can anyone every say Trap has every got it right with team selections...I certainly don't...the man falls way short.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:12am
Originally posted by wessi wessi wrote:

gufc and horsebox ye are pathetic , ye think this forum is only for those 100% behind trap i dont give a sh*t what ye post up here so why should ye care what i post ? fcuk off if ye dont like it .

You can't even spell your own name.

Then you try and justify the mis-spelling by claiming your a West Ham supporter.

Even though your previous name was city4life.

Your complete inability to back up any of your points just proves that your the dumbest person ever to grace this forum.

And you can stop sending me PM's calling me a prick too.

You and Rain Paulo are the 2 reason why a lot of people have stopped posting on this forum.

It's an all time low for this forum with so many decent posters staying away.

It was far across the sea,
When the devil got a hold of me,
He wouldn't set me free,
So he kept me soul for ransom.
na na na na na na na na na
na na na na na na na na.
I'm a sailor man from Glasgow to
wessi View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:17am
you seem to think this is school do you horsebox ? the spelling police officer . maybe people stay away cos there sick of the likes of you defending trap 100% , it works both ways . its called a forum we can post what we want if you dont like it you stay away ya big baby .
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:20am

Did I mention Hoolahan?

I see you conveniently left our McGeady who has proved to be a good player for both club and country yet include Brady who has done nothing for Ireland (yet) and only starting to prove it for a championship side.

Pilkington - a player who has held out for an England call up for so long and has yet again failed to show up for us. He should not be included in any discussion about the Ireland team until he commits to the team.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:22am

you seem to think this is school do you horsebox ? the spelling police officer . maybe people stay away cos there sick of the likes of you defending trap 100% , it works both ways . its called a forum we can post what we want if you dont like it you stay away ya big baby .

Good post.
He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
wessi View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:24am
thanks
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:26am
Originally posted by horsebox horsebox wrote:

I see you conveniently left out McGeady who has proved to be a good player for both club and country yet include Brady who has done nothing for Ireland (yet) and only starting to prove it for a championship side.

Pilkington - a player who has held out for an England call up for so long and has yet again failed to show up for us. He should not be included in any discussion about the Ireland team until he commits to the team.

It wasnt a pop at Trap, I was discussing the merits of the squad. It would actually add to my argument was I to include McGeady. My point on the wingers was strength in depth which does include McGeady in saying the aforementioned didnt even start the other day. TBH I could add Hoolahan to our left wing options.

And here is a quote in the morning papers from Hoolahan on Pilkington

Quote And his Norwich team-mate says he is fully committed to Ireland.

Hoolahan said: “He really wanted to play against England, but he has been struggling with his knee.

“We fit in well together at Norwich and I’d like to see us do the same with Ireland.

“In the last few games of the season we linked up well together, and I got an assist for his goal in the final-day 3-2 win against City.

“We have played together for the last two years and train with each other week in, week out.

“I’d love to see how well we’d do with Ireland.”

Edited by Kerrzy - 01 Jun 2013 at 11:27am
wessi View Drop Down
Alan Kernaghan
Alan Kernaghan

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wessi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:28am
if it makes sense to play wes and pilkington together it wont happen under trap .
horsebox View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Born n bred in darndale.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote horsebox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:31am
I didn't think you were having a pop at Trap.

Just surprised that you left out our first choice winger.

In relation to Pilkington - actions speak louder than words. He could have showed up and even trained with the lads got a feel for the squad and what is expected of him in the team but he failed to show up.

He also could have main a cameo appearance to at least show his commitment to the team.

His commitment to the team remains in jeopardy and will be questioned until he plays a competitive game.

He wouldn't set me free,
na na na na na na na na.
GreenDodger93 View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GreenDodger93 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:32am
this forum has gone to the dogs Thumbs Down
Pipkin View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pipkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 11:40am

In relation to Pilkington - actions speak louder than words. He could have showed up and even trained with the lads got a feel for the squad and what is expected of him in the team but he failed to show up.

He also could have main a cameo appearance to at least show his commitment to the team.

His commitment to the team remains in jeopardy and will be questioned until he plays a competitive game.

Agreed. But the signals in the last few days from Trap and his club mate which you'd expect to be accurate have been positive.
rainpaulo View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rainpaulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 12:04pm

You can't even spell your own name.

Then you try and justify the mis-spelling by claiming your a West Ham supporter.

Even though your previous name was city4life.

Your complete inability to back up any of your points just proves that your the dumbest person ever to grace this forum.

And you can stop sending me PM's calling me a prick too.

You and Rain Paulo are the 2 reason why a lot of people have stopped posting on this forum.

It's an all time low for this forum with so many decent posters staying away.

You give me far to much credit....maybe the forum just doesn't intrest people anymore...I get PM's a lot and you are only person that ever has a go horse.
But you have a go off anyone who doesn't agree withyou or back Trap.....I'd be fairly confident you were bullied at school and were billy no mates
El_nino View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Santa Slayer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote El_nino Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2013 at 12:51pm

Agreed. But the signals in the last few days from Trap and his club mate which you'd expect to be accurate have been positive.

Was chatting to a freelance journalist during the week who had an interview with Hughton last week and he asked him about Pilkingtons commitment to Ireland. Hughton wasn't surprised by the question but confirmed Pilkington is 100% committed to us. I'm still on the fence myself and agree his commitment will be doubted until he actually plays for us but the comments I've heard in the past few days from Hoolahan, Trap & Hughton seem very positive.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 37383940>
  Share Topic