Forum Home Forum Home : International : Rest of The World
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Southampton thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 67>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2017 at 5:37pm
Isgrove, Martina and Caceres released.  Pity we didn't see more of Caceres. Played well in his only match
Sponsored Links

Double Maxim View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2017 at 5:57am

Reports in the French media claim Southampton boss Claude Puel is in line to take over as manager of Ligue 1 club Saint-Etienne.
Double Maxim without doubt the greatest drink in the world
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 12:07am
@ thebronze14 who would you have as the new Saints manager?
thebronze14 View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 1:04pm
I really don't know..Tuchel has put himself out of the running. The Hoffenheim manager seems to be a decent shout. It will end up somebody no one has heard of though!
Borussia View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Borussia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 1:09pm
Tuchel would have been an excellent appointment but seems to be holding our for a CL job which isn't surprising. Would say there is zero chance of Nagelsmann ending up at Southampton. Already being courted for bigger jobs elsewhere in the next year or two. 
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 1:26pm
I wonder what the Southampton board's targets were last season, if 8th and getting to a cup final were deemed sackable for the manager
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 5:24pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

I wonder what the Southampton board's targets were last season, if 8th and getting to a cup final were deemed sackable for the manager
We were only 6 points iirc away from 17th place and about 18 away from 7th so the table didn't tell the whole story
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2017 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by thebronze14 thebronze14 wrote:

We were only 6 points iirc away from 17th place and about 18 away from 7th so the table didn't tell the whole story
The league is now split in three. You have the top 6 battling for fourth, Everton battling themselves for seventh and the rest fighting to stay up. He finished as high as could have been reasonably expected by anybody and got to a cup final. The gap between 8th and relegation is going to be less than the gap between 8th and 6th, that will continue. Where would you realistically hope Southampton to finish next year?
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by pre Madonna pre Madonna wrote:

The league is now split in three. You have the top 6 battling for fourth, Everton battling themselves for seventh and the rest fighting to stay up. He finished as high as could have been reasonably expected by anybody and got to a cup final. The gap between 8th and relegation is going to be less than the gap between 8th and 6th, that will continue. Where would you realistically hope Southampton to finish next year?
Don't really know until we see the teams. I was very much in the Puel in camp. I would take 8th and a cup run again but be much closer 7th than further away and hopefully score some goals!
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 12:53pm

Don't really know until we see the teams. I was very much in the Puel in camp. I would take 8th and a cup run again but be much closer 7th than further away and hopefully score some goals!
I think 8th is the limit of Southampton's ambitions, so getting that and a cup final should not get a manager sacked, no matter what football was played. It is like one of the 'big 6' sacking their manager for winning the league!
Territorial View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Territorial Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:22pm

I think 8th is the limit of Southampton's ambitions, so getting that and a cup final should not get a manager sacked, no matter what football was played. It is like one of the 'big 6' sacking their manager for winning the league!
I wouldn't altogether dismiss what the fans who watch them week in week out think - esp Saints fans, who don't have a reputation for deluding themselves as to their status.

Nor can you dismiss "what football was played", either (imo). I mean, they only scored 17 goals in 19 home games and their total of 41 was only higher than the bottom five teams. Meanwhile, the figures for the previous season were 39 and 59 respectively.

As for "8th [being] the limit of Southampton's ambitions", remember that they finished 6th the previous season, with 63 points. And that was only 3 points off Man City in fourth.

Whereas the season just ended, they got 46 points, which was a whopping 23 points off sixth place (30 points off 4th). Perhaps more relevant, they were 15 points off 7th placed Everton, who are a comparably placed club.

Then when you add persistent stories of dressing room unrest, it cannot be said to have been a good season for them, nor where there any signs of Puel reversing the decline (new players due in, new kids from the Academy etc).

As for getting to the League Cup Final, Sunderland, Bradford, Cardiff, Villa and Wigan all did so in the last decade, with Swansea and Birmingham even winning it! Six of those seven will be in the Championship next season...

Edited by Territorial - 19 Jun 2017 at 1:29pm
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2017 at 1:32pm
I think despite the success he wasn't well liked by the players, Also his main signing Boufal who was a club record failed to make an impact
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Derry City Til I Die

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thebronze14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 11:45am

We finished 6th and 7th so no 8th isn't the limit! It is a satisfactory finishing position but when you see how far behind it wasn't great. The European campaign left a sour taste for a lot of fans as well. We had a piss poor group and couldn't beat Hapoel Beer Sheva to get us over the line. He did do very well in bringing in youth however as seen with the emergence of Josh Sims, Sam Mc Queen and the excellent Jack Stephens in particular. I feel luck deserted him at vital times as well with injury and in front of goal so overall I was sad to see him go but if we get the appointment right it may turn out a masterstroke again like the Adkins situation. We are about to be take over by a Chinese consortium called Lander. Will be interesting to see how it goes as I have vivid memories/nightmares of our previous owenership and the fact we are so sustainably run at the moment. Even if they do pump in vast money and it's a success it will seem less organically done than the current regime
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2017 at 1:56pm
It is now, unfortunately. Unless you can afford to keep up with Man City, Chelsea, Man United et al or they have a horrendous season. If they hit bare minimum, Everton included, then for everybody else eighth is effectively top.
I wouldn't be worried about Europe as everyone knows English teams only take it seriously until they are knocked out.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 5:10pm
Former Alaves manager Mauricio Pelegríno named as manager
coyne View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote coyne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 5:34pm
Be silly to make a judgement straight away after no one knew who Poch was after they sacked Nigel Adkins.
Puel wasn't a terrible appointment but the board simply didn't the way he set his teams up.

The board know what they're doing its a case of be careful what you ask for.
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

Former Alaves manager Mauricio Pelegríno named as manager

Had to laugh.  Mauricio Pellegrino.  Old manager Mauricio Pochettino. Deja Vu here.   Like some bloke going out with a bird that looks identical to his ex.LOL
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Double Maxim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 7:32am
Chelsea getting linked with Virgil van Dijk.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4950515253 67>
  Share Topic