You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The YBIG DIY Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
Author
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:18pm
Originally posted by Croftman Croftman wrote:

When we were doing it we got the walls pumped too, took a couple of winters to really notice the difference but was a great job for heat retention

I saw a van recently with foam insulation on the side, so wasn't sure what the craic with it is? But my old gaff could really do with it. 

What were the costs? any other info welcome
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Croftman View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Croftman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

When we were doing it we got the walls pumped too, took a couple of winters to really notice the difference but was a great job for heat retention

I saw a van recently with foam insulation on the side, so wasn't sure what the craic with it is? But my old gaff could really do with it. 

It was 4/5 years ago and think it cost between €1500-€1800 but there's grants you can get now if the house was built before a certain year (could be 2007, check www.seai.ie)

All done in one day. Drill a load of holes in the external walls, pump the beads and the glue in through them, fill the holes and that's it. You wouldn't really notice the marks of where the holes were unless you're looking for them. Nothing much to it in fairness but it's been a great job, has made a huge difference
Some people just deserve a slap
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 2:52pm
Just tell visitors you are a hipster who put the woodchip up ironically.
Bob Hoskins View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bob Hoskins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:21pm

Originally posted by Bob Hoskins Bob Hoskins wrote:

It was 4/5 years ago and think it cost between €1500-€1800 but there's grants you can get now if the house was built before a certain year (could be 2007, check www.seai.ie)

All done in one day. Drill a load of holes in the external walls, pump the beads and the glue in through them, fill the holes and that's it. You wouldn't really notice the marks of where the holes were unless you're looking for them. Nothing much to it in fairness but it's been a great job, has made a huge difference

Clap thanks 
Romario 2016: And the ticket mafia gets caught! Well, four years ago I had already told the government.
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:34pm
If yku have enough money .... bulldoze it . Them old houses are constant DIY projects . 
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 3:45pm
Hello my name is Peter and I am chairman of Bray Wanderers Football Club. I wish to build a stand from everyday household items. I bought a stand from IKEA a few years ago but the wind blew it down and found it unsatisfactory.  I have some raw materials such as asbestos sheeting and some epoxy glue and an assortment of lollipop sticks and matchsticks.  Can a 500 seater stand with roof be built from such materials? Any advice would be appreciated.
Regards
Peter
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by darmack darmack wrote:

Bought a house and moved in last month and there's a lot more work that needs to be done then I had anticipated.
Having never done anything like this before I want to go down the DIY approach.

Anyone insulated their attic? Looking up videos on youtube and it looks manageable. You also get a grant to insulate the attic, do you only get money back if you get someone in to do it?
Another is that we are getting a new boiler in the attic, so the cistern in the hot press will be removed. Was going to put up a stud wall and block the door where the hot press was.

The house is straight out of the 70's, wood chip wallpaper all over the house which will be taken down too.

maybe Jarvis Cocker lived there - is there a blue plaque on the outside  ?
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
pre Madonna View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
I am MALDING

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pre Madonna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2018 at 5:36pm
You're thinking of Deborah's house.
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2018 at 12:18am
why are you moving the boiler into the attic???
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
darmack View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darmack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by JUICEBOMB JUICEBOMB wrote:

why are you moving the boiler into the attic???

We need to get a new boiler anyway so we're getting a combi boiler so the plumber said it can be moved up there out of the way.
Actually I think boiler isn't the exact term for it, the hot water system thing that you'd keep in the hot press.
In the survey report it was advised to get a new boiler too, the one out the back so we are changing from oil to gas.

Gas networks said it would only take 3 weeks to send someone out to dig up the road and connect us, great we though. But it turns out they have to wait from the local council to grant a licence to dig up the road so we've been waiting 6 weeks already and they are due to do it in 2 weeks time. Anyone know someone in Dun Laoghaire Rathdown?
The dark side.. And the light
JUICEBOMB View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JUICEBOMB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 10:34pm
your moving the cylinder up to the attic.....and getting a new combi boiler(all new boilers installed are combi)...unless your really,really and I mean really gonna use the space that the cylinder was in(and its normally tiny) I leave it where it is and just replace the cylinder.its gonna cost you a lot less money,save you pulling up floorboards etc and if there's any future leaks eat on the system up in the attic you won't have a water cylinder coming through your bedroom roof.
hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard
Butch View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Butch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2018 at 10:46pm
Anyone have any idea what roofers are getting per slate?
Roberto Baggio View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 4:22pm
Have a loose floor tile, it isn’t broken just loose
How would I go about repairing 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Roberto Baggio Roberto Baggio wrote:

Have you got a spare one ?
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Have you got a spare one ?
No 
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 8:16pm

Remove the grout around it carefully with something like a screwdriver and a hammer as its whats holding it in place. You should then be able to get a flat screwdriver underneath to lift it. Be mindful of the pressure you place on the tiles around it when levering off them. Place something sturdy across them to protect the edges
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
UNBELIEVABLE JEFF

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roberto Baggio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 8:57pm
Some sort of fixing adhesive best to use?
PanteirA View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PanteirA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 10:41pm
Yeah once you don't have underfloor heating any decent adhesive should do. Your biggest issue might be to get the grout to match
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 18>
  Share Topic