You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The YBIG DIY Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
Author
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

BSM I’m changing the colour of kitchen units, what paint should I use & do I need a primer on it? I’m going original cream unit to navy 
What finish is on them now? Absolutely buzzin to be giving you advice for once Big smile
Finish as in timber or a pre finished plastic?
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by BigStrongMan BigStrongMan wrote:

BSM I’m changing the colour of kitchen units, what paint should I use & do I need a primer on it? I’m going original cream unit to navy 
What finish is on them now? Absolutely buzzin to be giving you advice for once Big smile
Finish as in timber or a pre finished plastic?
LOLLOLLOLYeah pre finished sh*te 

They’re in the bar so don’t need to be perfect 

Edited by 9fingers - 08 Jan 2021 at 8:01pm
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 8:10pm
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinsser-ZINCSP25L-Litre-Primer-Finish/dp/B0078Z5QXG
I’d use this primer. It’s oil based. Easy to use and will dry in about an hour. Give the units a light sand for the primer to grip. 
I’d finish in water based satin. Probably need 2 coats of that. 
You can get that primer tinted into the colour you want. 
Fleetwood and ColourTrend do good waterbased satinwood 👍
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 8:14pm
great advice bsm.  You should have your own column in the paper.  Have a word with Gerk
AKA pedantic kunt
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 8:32pm
Originally posted by Baldrick Baldrick wrote:

great advice bsm.  You should have your own column in the paper.  Have a word with Gerk
thanks pal,means a lot
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 8:35pm
Cheers Chief! 
Any cheaper options? 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 8:41pm

Cheers Chief! 
Any cheaper options? 
how many units is in it?
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 8:58pm

Cheers Chief! 
Any cheaper options? 
how many units is in it?
Just 2 small wall mounted units. I appreciate you’ll want it done the right way, but I’ve probably spent about €300 on bar so far, adding 10% of that for primer is a little off plan LOL thanks 
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 9:19pm
LOLnah don’t buy it there. You’d only need 1lt...
Alternatively..get 1lt of an oil based undercoat! Crown on Malahide Rd! Get 1lt of your finish paint also. 30e should cover both!
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2021 at 9:33pm

LOLnah don’t buy it there. You’d only need 1lt...
Alternatively..get 1lt of an oil based undercoat! Crown on Malahide Rd! Get 1lt of your finish paint also. 30e should cover both!
Top man. Thanks Heart
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 10:00am
Anybody change window hinges before? I need one set changed as they are knackered but have a feeling it could be a poxy job and im left with no window overnight because of hassle with it LOL

YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Anybody change window hinges before? I need one set changed as they are knackered but have a feeling it could be a poxy job and im left with no window overnight because of hassle with it LOL

Its a funny one that, have had to get two fixed in an emergency and was pricey. Having seen it done, and if not an emergency I would do it myself. 

I changed all window handles myself last year. Bought them from a crowd called universal products near park west. Very good value and has made a significant difference to the air tightness of the windows. If the hinge issue isn't major, tightening the handles might help. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Its a funny one that, have had to get two fixed in an emergency and was pricey. Having seen it done, and if not an emergency I would do it myself. 

I changed all window handles myself last year. Bought them from a crowd called universal products near park west. Very good value and has made a significant difference to the air tightness of the windows. If the hinge issue isn't major, tightening the handles might help. 

what we talking when you say pricey Tom? if you dont mind. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 1:58pm

Think about €150 for two. The guy doing it was done in minutes, so remember feeling ripped. 
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 2:59pm

Think about €150 for two. The guy doing it was done in minutes, so remember feeling ripped. 

I had four replaced last year (dunno what made me ignore this one window) and it cost me 200 cash in hand. Handy money alright. 
AS YOU WERE McGx

greenlad View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote greenlad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 6:15pm

They're handy enough to change if they're downstairs one, there a good bit of weight in them. 
I changed them on a window and the hinges cost me a fiver from a place up beside the DSPCA
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by greenlad greenlad wrote:

They're handy enough to change if they're downstairs one, there a good bit of weight in them. 
I changed them on a window and the hinges cost me a fiver from a place up beside the DSPCA
yeah this is upstairs LOL
AS YOU WERE McGx

The GerK View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Razor you wanna pint?...2 minutes later

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The GerK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2021 at 8:07pm

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zinsser-ZINCSP25L-Litre-Primer-Finish/dp/B0078Z5QXG
I’d use this primer. It’s oil based. Easy to use and will dry in about an hour. Give the units a light sand for the primer to grip. 
I’d finish in water based satin. Probably need 2 coats of that. 
You can get that primer tinted into the colour you want. 
Fleetwood and ColourTrend do good waterbased satinwood 👍

Thinks he is Billy Big balls banging out the advice
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 18>
  Share Topic