You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The YBIG DIY Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
Author
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

Lads any suggestions on how to unfreeze an irish water meter
no water to house this morning, got drive redone last year and told contractor about it happening before so he buried pipes a bit deeper and insulated them.

so im pretty sure the freeze is on the footpath outside the house. any suggestions?

Other than dig it up and get some sort of heaters on it I can’t see what else 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 12:25pm
Council came you,, yep its the water meter is frozen on footpath, nothing we can do, WTAF seriously,, how many millions in tax payer money is wasted on these things and the morons that are still employed by this body,, lad said they were installed with no insulation
Getting old and intolerant
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by Huggybeer Huggybeer wrote:

Council came you,, yep its the water meter is frozen on footpath, nothing we can do, WTAF seriously,, how many millions in tax payer money is wasted on these things and the morons that are still employed by this body,, lad said they were installed with no insulation

Iirc you don’t normally insulate them but they are usually down far enough to avoid the frost 
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Trap junior View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
YBIG Minister of Doom & Gloom

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trap junior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 3:22pm
Water shame
Pied Piper to: Baldrick, Brendan 88, 9Fingers, Borussia and more...

97.6% chance this post will be replied to by Baldrick (source: PWC)
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2022 at 3:37pm
LOL
It would damage this forums' reputation
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 9:11pm
Not for DIY but not sure of suitable thread.

Anybody rough idea of cost for a BER assessor?
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Sham157 View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sham157 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 9:18pm
Originally posted by McG McG wrote:

Not for DIY but not sure of suitable thread.

Anybody rough idea of cost for a BER assessor?
last time I got it done it was €150

There is no set fee for a BER assessment, so it is best to shop around with at least three suppliers for the best price. The cost of a BER assessment for an apartment can cost approximately €150. The cost for a standard house, penthouse or duplex can cost between €200 and €300.

Edited by Sham157 - 09 Jan 2023 at 9:19pm
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jan 2023 at 9:22pm
Cheers Shamwich

I actually just saw that you can request a quote on tradesman.ie too
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 1:03pm
Copper cylinder In the hot press coming to the end of its life.

Any one any thoughts on replacing it like for like or going with stainless steel? 

Indirect vented system with cold water tank in the attic in typical three bed built around 1980. Is wired for an immersion.

I had to change the gas boiler last year so will be at least a decade before I will have to change to heat pump (if ever). Would consider future proofing with heat pump ready tank but I don't think that's a runner for now? 

Lastly , planning on putting pv panels on the roof this year with an immersion diverter to heat the water prior to sending surplus to the grids feed in tariff. Any considerations there?

Edited by Saint Tom - 14 Mar 2023 at 1:04pm
My destination inchicore my next stop being kilmainham
Where patriots and super saints are the topics of conversation
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by Saint Tom Saint Tom wrote:

Any one any thoughts on replacing it like for like or going with stainless steel? 

Indirect vented system with cold water tank in the attic in typical three bed built around 1980. Is wired for an immersion.

I had to change the gas boiler last year so will be at least a decade before I will have to change to heat pump (if ever). Would consider future proofing with heat pump ready tank but I don't think that's a runner for now? 

Lastly , planning on putting pv panels on the roof this year with an immersion diverter to heat the water prior to sending surplus to the grids feed in tariff. Any considerations there?

I got a 48 inch by 16 inch basic stainless steel cylinder with a top entry immersion and a single coil in Brooks for 450 a couple of weeks ago. I was quoted 860 by another builders providers for something similar and most other places I looked were up around 750 - 900. 

The 16 inch cylinder was a bit narrower than the original copper cylinder it replaced but it stored 150 litres which was enough for what I needed. 10 year guarantee as well, the last copper cylinder I put in was made by joule and had a 1 year guarantee. 
Let Christy Take It.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by tapfit2004 tapfit2004 wrote:

I got a 48 inch by 16 inch basic stainless steel cylinder with a top entry immersion and a single coil in Brooks for 450 a couple of weeks ago. I was quoted 860 by another builders providers for something similar and most other places I looked were up around 750 - 900. 

The 16 inch cylinder was a bit narrower than the original copper cylinder it replaced but it stored 150 litres which was enough for what I needed. 10 year guarantee as well, the last copper cylinder I put in was made by joule and had a 1 year guarantee. 

Thanks for the advise. Assume fit costs were extra?

Is copper in the old one recyclable or worth anything?

I'm more concerned about future proofing what I put in.
Claret Murph View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Hmmm, Goodness, I must say

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Claret Murph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 2:16pm

Copper will be worth something for sure , as for the above Newry Rep should have a good angle on this one . 
Lansdowne Road debut aged 52 and 201 days .
Bandwagon View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bandwagon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Claret Murph Claret Murph wrote:

Copper will be worth something for sure , as for the above Newry Rep should have a good angle on this one . 

About €50. Coppers €4.70/Kg at the moment.

Probably need to replace our own soon enough, I dont think its ever been done.

I had to do the water tank there a few years ago, was an old galvanized steel one that began leaking, was only after Id drained it and began disconnecting the feed that it literally fell apart at the seams like a cardbox. Was probably weeks / months from a total disaster.
Saint Tom View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saint Tom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 2:49pm
Exact same Bandwagon. Did that last year changing the bathroom. Weeks away from a problem.

The cylinder is the only piece in the system other than rads the I haven't replaced.

Would be worried about corrosion of the cylinder.
tapfit2004 View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tapfit2004 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

I had to do the water tank there a few years ago, was an old galvanized steel one that began leaking, was only after Id drained it and began disconnecting the feed that it literally fell apart at the seams like a cardbox. Was probably weeks / months from a total disaster.

Yeah, I'm an electrician and a friend of mine is a plumber so we fitted it. I got 70 euro for the old cylinder and a few old brass fittings that I had lying around. I rang the scrap dealer and he said he'd give me a few quid more if I took the installation off the cylinder before I brought it to them (probably only a fiver either way). 

I have seen loads of those steel water tanks in attics and still wonder how a lot of them were holding any water at all. We changed one in a house in finglas about 10 years ago, I drained it down until there was about an inch of water left in it and went to move it. The bottom of the tank was like paper it was that thin. We ended up putting old towels in it to get rid of the rest of the water and when I lifted it onto its side I was able to make a hole in the "metal" with my finger. Never seen one as bad and somehow it hadn't been leaking.

Always make sure that you have a lid on the tank in the attic as well. I've seen rats and pigeons floating around in them after they'd tried to take a drink and fell in. You wouldn't want to be washing your teeth with that water. 

Edited by tapfit2004 - 14 Mar 2023 at 4:35pm
Let Christy Take It.
Huggybeer View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Huggybeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2023 at 4:57pm

Originally posted by Bandwagon Bandwagon wrote:

Yeah, I'm an electrician and a friend of mine is a plumber so we fitted it. I got 70 euro for the old cylinder and a few old brass fittings that I had lying around. I rang the scrap dealer and he said he'd give me a few quid more if I took the installation off the cylinder before I brought it to them (probably only a fiver either way). 

I have seen loads of those steel water tanks in attics and still wonder how a lot of them were holding any water at all. We changed one in a house in finglas about 10 years ago, I drained it down until there was about an inch of water left in it and went to move it. The bottom of the tank was like paper it was that thin. We ended up putting old towels in it to get rid of the rest of the water and when I lifted it onto its side I was able to make a hole in the "metal" with my finger. Never seen one as bad and somehow it hadn't been leaking.

Always make sure that you have a lid on the tank in the attic as well. I've seen rats and pigeons floating around in them after they'd tried to take a drink and fell in. You wouldn't want to be washing your teeth with that water. 

Also if the tin tank in the attic pops your not covered by your house insurance as its considered lack of maintenance

Edited by Huggybeer - 14 Mar 2023 at 4:59pm
Getting old and intolerant
Neil Armstrong View Drop Down
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton
Cyavan Cyunt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neil Armstrong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 3:43pm
Wooden floor for a upstairs bedroom any suggestions, like type of wood, the mm, what kind of underlay would I need, the room is only 8ft x 8.5ft, Thumbs Up
Ulster Champions 2020 our 40th Title. Take that all ye Moanaghan ***ts!
GoneToShowgies View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GoneToShowgies Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2023 at 4:12pm
Originally posted by Neil Armstrong Neil Armstrong wrote:

Wooden floor for a upstairs bedroom any suggestions, like type of wood, the mm, what kind of underlay would I need, the room is only 8ft x 8.5ft, Thumbs Up

Use carpet in a bedroom. Timber floors are loud downstairs and cold on your wee toes. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 18>
  Share Topic