You Boys in Green Homepage YBIG Shop
Forum Home Forum Home : Other Forums : Whatever!
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The YBIG DIY Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 18>
Author
Jack Charlton
Jack Charlton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MC Hammered Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 10:28am
So my best bet is to 
1) not bother with an alarm as the gaff will be broken into if burglars fancy doing it
2) own a sh1te car so no one wants to nick it

I have already fulfilled both of those criteria so I can put the feet up and relax.

I did read somewhere that the biggest deterrents to house burglary are cameras and dogs. The camera isn't going to prevent someone breaking in if they want to but the fact that the image can be used to prosecute them at a later date is what may make them choose another target. 
I'm looking to stop the more opportunistic type of criminal. I don't own anything that anyone would be bothered planning an Oceans 11 style heist for. 

I'll look into some of the alternative companies suggested and Google Nest too though, cheers!

On a slightly separate note. Did this little scrote get his bike nicked whilst he was trying to knock off the Rialto Grill? 

El Puto Amo
Newryrep View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Just can't get enough of lists

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Newryrep Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:25am
Originally posted by MC Hammered MC Hammered wrote:

So my best bet is to 
1) not bother with an alarm as the gaff will be broken into if burglars fancy doing it
2) own a sh1te car so no one wants to nick it

I have already fulfilled both of those criteria so I can put the feet up and relax.

I did read somewhere that the biggest deterrents to house burglary are cameras and dogs. The camera isn't going to prevent someone breaking in if they want to but the fact that the image can be used to prosecute them at a later date is what may make them choose another target. 
I'm looking to stop the more opportunistic type of criminal. I don't own anything that anyone would be bothered planning an Oceans 11 style heist for. 

I'll look into some of the alternative companies suggested and Google Nest too though, cheers!

On a slightly separate note. Did this little scrote get his bike nicked whilst he was trying to knock off the Rialto Grill? 

a client once installed 2 bits of wood that looked like a camera (from a distance) on a site external to their main building to stop theft of oil form their oil tank - it worked
'Irish' Songs for an Irish team - no SPL EPL generic sh*te
Richard Dunne - 6th Sept 11 - best marshalling of a defence in Moscow since General Zukov Russia V Germany 1941
Baldrick View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane
Peyton-tly Pedantic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Baldrick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 11:30am
Along with gardening DIY is for dickheads and tight bastards. 

Edited by Baldrick - 06 May 2020 at 11:30am
AKA pedantic kunt
Artie Ziff View Drop Down
Ray Houghton
Ray Houghton

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Artie Ziff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2020 at 12:32pm
With any of those internet alarms or any other smart devices. You must be very careful the security of the devices are good, you could very easily have your house's internet hacked and far more stolen than any burglar could take. 

2. Unsecure Internet of Things (IoT) Devices

Any Internet of Things (IoT) device that connects to a network can be hacked. From smart locks to security cameras, your connected devices could give cyber criminals an opportunity to access your Wi-Fi and steal your information. Secure your connected home devices with these cyber security practices:

It would damage this forums' reputation
cardwizzard View Drop Down
Liam Brady
Liam Brady

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cardwizzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2020 at 10:37am
Got the garden sorted last few weeks. I was part of the decking gang bout 10 years ago, and it was shameful how bad it had got. Lots of work lifting it, getting rid and laying new patio. Like anything as soon as ye get that sorted it's on to how bad everything else is, painting fence panels, re do this fix that, power wash this. In fairness it's kept me and kids going, thank feck weather has been good or goodness knows what we'd all have done. 
cullenswood View Drop Down
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:23am
Need a new corded drill to put up a few pictures on some brick walls.    Won't be getting a whole lot of use apart from that type of thing.....   would one of these ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacklife-Functions-Accessory-Adjustable-Auxiliary/dp/B07T23925J/ref=psdc_1939340031_t1_B07QLPY22F ) do the job??
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 10:30am
just use command strips to save the hassle? They can take big weights.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:20am
Cheers for the suggestion, but have something to hang up outside also.

Seems like a ton of options out there but I reckon for the use it'll get I don't need an SDS one and also don't need to spend a fortune?    Just wanted something that would give a chunk more power than a cordless.
McG View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SISAO? What the hell is SISAO?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote McG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:23am
Have you got a cordless? 

I have drilled into concrete with a cordless when using the correct drillbits.
YBIG Table Quiz winner 2016 & 2017
AS YOU WERE McGx

Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 11:48am
Yep, tried the cordless with a masonry bit on the wall a while ago and it wasn't having much luck so borrowed a friends corded one and it worked no bother (with the same bit). Maybe my cordless one is just a piece of junk though! 
daithi View Drop Down
Roy Keane
Roy Keane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote daithi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by cullenswood cullenswood wrote:

Need a new corded drill to put up a few pictures on some brick walls.    Won't be getting a whole lot of use apart from that type of thing.....   would one of these ( https://www.amazon.co.uk/Tacklife-Functions-Accessory-Adjustable-Auxiliary/dp/B07T23925J/ref=psdc_1939340031_t1_B07QLPY22F ) do the job??
Perfect for what you need it for
Just because it's tradition does not make it right
9fingers View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Ballymun Resident #MONKEANO

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 9fingers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:40pm
The queues in Northwood for Homebase LOL people are mental 
lassassinblanc View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
Cheese, it’s not just for eating

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lassassinblanc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 12:52pm
Originally posted by 9fingers 9fingers wrote:

The queues in Northwood for Homebase LOL people are mental 

Actually thought there would be more posts in this thread in regards to this 
Kevin Kilbane
Kevin Kilbane

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cullenswood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by daithi daithi wrote:

Originally posted by cullenswood cullenswood wrote:

Perfect for what you need it for

Thanks 

Edited by cullenswood - 18 May 2020 at 2:02pm
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 2:37pm
Concrete screws way to go

just drill a hole 10mm and the screw will do the rest. no need for plugs or the likes. use them the whole time for shuttering and anchoring shutters to the ground. 
BigPodge View Drop Down
Paul McGrath
Paul McGrath
I'm the Gaffer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigPodge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

just drill a hole 10mm and the screw will do the rest. no need for plugs or the likes. use them the whole time for shuttering and anchoring shutters to the ground. 

That's a handy number for you as you never need a measuring tape to work out what 10mm is!
BigStrongMan View Drop Down
Robbie Keane
Robbie Keane

Just Modding Like

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BigStrongMan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by Yiksheemash Yiksheemash wrote:

the f**k would you know about screwin 
PM me for all forum moderation queries.
Yiksheemash View Drop Down
500 Club la la la
500 Club la la la

I don't have a penis.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Yiksheemash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2020 at 4:10pm
LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910 18>
  Share Topic